2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, CrisOliveira, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, 7 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2482620 11/20/15 04:57 AM
Bart K Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Could anyone recommend a book specifically aimed towards building improvisation skills? I already have Tim Richards' book so please don't recommend that. The problem I have specifically with improvisation. The approach Tim Richards uses is basically like this "OK here's a left hand pattern, here are some licks that sound good, now try to improvise something based on that". Well, that's nice but how do you actually do that and not sound like a toddler banging on the keyboard. I'd like a more structured approach with exercises that I can do every day to improve improvisation skills.

Is there anything like that?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Qazsedcft, you are familiar with this book ?

http://www.empik.com/sztuka-improwizacji-jazzowej-olszewski-wojciech,p1062883710,ksiazka-p

Last edited by Nahum; 11/20/15 06:42 AM.
Bart K Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
A Polish book? That's interesting. It's not available on Empik but I will look for it in local book stores. Thanks Nahum!

@johan_d: Unfortunately, the English translation is not available yet and I don't think my German is up to par (I won't even mention my Dutch wink ).

If you analyze transcriptions of straight ahead players (like Hank Mobley, Wynton Kelly, etc.) the basic formula for bebop improv is a line of eighth notes with chord tones on strong beats embellished with chord scale fragments, arpeggios and approach patterns at chord changes. You can see it in action here:

http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/jazz...concept/detail.html#sthash.whrZECqr.dpbs

Please email with questions. I'm happy to help.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
D
D
I always thought Jerry Coker's "Elements of the Jazz Language" book was pretty helpful. Your local university music library may have a copy that you can look through. It basically shows common ideas/phrases that improvisers use and how you can vary them/apply them to different chord progressions.

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Jazz...ords=coker+elements+of+the+jazz+language

Another good option is the "Joy of Improv" series by the masterful Dave Frank, which focuses on an immersion based learning as opposed to an analytical one. You play good solos and melodies every week and develop your ear to the point where you can play the melodies in your head.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Qazedcft, As you can guess, there are many books that have been recently published on the subject of improvisation. I found Bob Rowlins' "How to Play From a Real Book" very informative. Bob has been a professor of Harmony at Rowand University for many years and has developed a very concise presentation using short explanations and examples. It is published by Hal Leonard and can be downloaded from the following web site:

http://booksnew.eu/children-audiobooks/255-how-to-play-from-a-real-book--robert-rawlins/

Enjoy.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got an anti virus warning from that link.

Bart K Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yes, that site looks very suspicious and I don't think it is legit. Especially, since the book is still being sold in the usual places. But thanks for the recommendation anyway.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Sorry, I did not look closely at the link. I just copied the first one stating a pdf on google search. I'm told Hall Leonard offers a digital download.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=312097&

Enjoy.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
A
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
A
Johan d, The Fifth Factor looks like a wonderful book! I would love to get it, but I'm a little confused. The entire description of it at that link is in English, but the photo of the cover is not and the shopping cart page is all in Dutch. Is it actually available in English do you know? I surely hope so! I guess I'll try contacting her.

Last edited by AprilE; 11/29/15 02:07 AM.

April
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AprilE
I guess I'll try contacting her.
I suppose it is available in English, but not sure. Better to contact her to be sure before buying!

A
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
A
Thanks, Johan! I have written her and am waiting for a reply, but I have a feeling it is not available in English. You'd think she would say so in her description of it in English though if that were the case.

April
Bart K Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
It says on the web site that an English translation will be available in early 2016.

I ordered the Polish book by Olszewski but I'm not sure whether a translation is available for that one.

A
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
A
I couldn't find that on Robijn's site, Q, but I did hear back from her that it should be available in the spring. I hope you like the Polish book.

April
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

OK here's a left hand pattern, here are some licks that sound good, now try to improvise something based on that". Well, that's nice but how do you actually do that and not sound like a toddler banging on the keyboard. I'd like a more structured approach with exercises that I can do every day to improve improvisation skills.

A good book on improvisation is a good idea. And a structured learning approach is also a good idea. But please don't dismiss the "toddler banging on the keyboard" factor. When toddlers are jabbering their nonsense language, they are experimenting through trial and error. Trial and error is a valuable learning tool. And playing around with the tool set that someone like Tim Richards offers is a path to learning. And it doesn't have to be his book. But playing around with the materials presented is necessary to internalize them into your "mind's ear" which is key. The struggle to put together chord changes that work together will help to train your "mind's ear". But memorizing a formula that one teacher or another presents is much less likely.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 12/01/15 09:16 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Very true indigo dave! Great point! I'll add that most great improves use as few notes as possible. When things start getting out of control, improvise using one note against the chord pattern and then start adding other notes one at a time. This will re-center rhythm and tonality. You will hear the greatest players do this.

Enjoy.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I had another thought. About 35 years ago I was having lunch with a guitar player friend. He was playing in 5-6 night a week night club gigs. Those used to exist in days of old. Anyway he punched/played a few songs on the juke box. Those used to exist too. He pointed out the bass and had me focus on it. The part the bass player was playing, I mean. Those are the "key" to the chord changes. Pick some songs on youTube and focus on the bass part. Can you hear the chord progression ? Try playing along on the piano with the recording. Picking out songs is analyzing them. This will develop your ears. Improvising is nothing without hearing what's going on.

This won't work with all music. Things like Credence Clearwater Revival play chord progressions that are simple and in root position generally. A great starting place for developing your ears. And note the root movement. Does it move UP a 4th ? Up a 2nd ? Down a 3rd ?

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, any good book should be showing these things in one form or fashion.

But use your ears.

Have You Ever Seen The Rain
https://youtu.be/Gu2pVPWGYMQ

A little more involved, but the bass is easy to hear.
You Are the Sunshine of My Life
https://youtu.be/3wZ_b_uUAdQ

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
While I was out bicycling just now I heard this one. It is a little microcosm of jazz chord changes. The beginning is I III VI II V I in G.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission