2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by bennevis
Like many pianists, I play a lot of Chopin, and I love his piano music.

But I know many musicians (amateur & professional) who aren't pianists, for whom Chopin is just a sideline, hardly to be considered alongside Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Schoenberg, Berg, Stravinsky, Shostakovich......

(and they hardly know any of Chopin's music).

Right. Piano music just isn't relevant to non-pianists. I get it. But that isn't an argument against greatness, profundity, whatever one wants to call it.

Your thread is about the most important composers in history.

If you meant the most important composers for the piano in history, you'd get a different set of answers from everybody, including me.

Because, in the end, Chopin's influence on non-piano music is virtually zero (just like Paganini's influence on non-violin music is virtually zero).

If music be the food of love, play on!
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Do not forget that piano music is a huge chunk of music. Because of the level of quality of Chopin's music and its impact in the world of piano, it deserves a spot in the list. I think.

But we can move on from it. I think we should focus on a much more important subject. Who the greatest are, in order.

B
B
Who the greatest are, in order.

My order of the top ten in order, in time-honoured fashion, as of this moment in time (the order may be slightly different tomorrow, but it will still be these ten):

Mozart
Beethoven
JS Bach
Schubert
Brahms
Berg
Stravinsky
Handel
Mahler
Schoenberg

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Webern is better than Berg. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe I should keep my mouth shut, but I always return to Fauré. I guess that he hardly ranks among the top-ten composers, but it is very interesting to notice that he starts as a romantic composer, skips over impressionism and ends as a modernist. It is unclear to me how much of this development was self-driven and how much was following the musical trends, but if we use diversity as one of the criteria for greatness Fauré ranks high.

All this said I consider Bach the greatest of the composers. Mozart, Beethoven Schubert and Brahms were great. I know very little about opera, but I guess Wagner should be included. Then Debussy, Schönberg, Mahler, Shostakovich.

Sorry for skipping Chopin. But I love his music.

B
B
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Webern is better than Berg. 😀

But his mature music doesn't last long enough for us to appreciate it (assuming it can be appreciated...... wink ).

He should have stuck to composing late-Romantic music, like Im Sommerwind......then maybe he'd make it into my top ten grin.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's not clear whether we're talking about "being great" or "being influential". Both are probably involved in discussing importance.

Anyway, I'd argue that Chopin is a composer whose importance is universal-- not just to pianists. Just as one doesn't need to be a string player to see the greatness of Beethoven string quartets, nor an opera singer to see the greatness of Wagner, so with the piano and Chopin; his worth, IMO, transcends the instrument. I would not say the same thing about Paganini and the violin.

As for greatness, I think the works speak for themselves. As for influence, he may not have been the first to write large single-movement dramatic pieces, or collections of etudes of actual musical significance, or a collection of preludes, and he certainly wasn't the first to write nocturnes. But because of the astonishing quality of the work, he greatly popularized all of these forms, and his influence is clear on Liszt, Debussy and beyond.

This is all subjective, of course. But at least whoever designed Harvard's main recital hall agreed!

[Linked Image]

B
B
Originally Posted by beet31425
I would not say the same thing about Paganini and the violin.

Without Paganini and his violin, we wouldn't have Liszt's Pag Etudes (which includes La Campanella), Rach/Pag, Brahms/Pag, Lutoslawski/Pag.....not even Hamelin/Pag or Webber/Pag etc.

Without Chopin, we wouldn't have, er, Chopiniana wink . (OK, Rach/Chopin.....).

But at least whoever designed Harvard's main recital hall agreed!

[Linked Image]

What's Weber (or is that Webern?) doing in such august company as Chopin? grin

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
It's not clear whether we're talking about "being great" or "being influential". Both are probably involved in discussing importance.

Yes -- It seems there's a distinction between those who changed the landscape and were the first to do something -- for instance, Bach, Beethoven, and may I suggest Scott Joplin -- and those who wrote beautiful music in existing forms -- like Rach or Cole Porter.

Which you value more is very subjective.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Chopin's ideas transcend the piano, and anyone who seriously studies the great composers will place him among the greatest.

"Chopin is the greatest of all, for with the piano alone he discovered everything."

-Debussy

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

My order of the top ten in order, in time-honoured fashion, as of this moment in time (the order may be slightly different tomorrow, but it will still be these ten):

Mozart
Beethoven
JS Bach
Schubert
Brahms
Berg
Stravinsky
Handel
Mahler
Schoenberg

crazy

Regards,

Polyphonist
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Cheeto717

"Chopin is the greatest of all, for with the piano alone he discovered everything."

-Debussy

Yeah, but Debussy didn't think much of Beethoven, so I'm not sure that his opinion is a very reliable measure of anything. smile

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

This is all subjective, of course. But at least whoever designed Harvard's main recital hall agreed!

Oh, don't even get me started on the lousy quality of Harvard architecture!

Poetry is rhythm
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

I would have to take a music history class to know every nuance of musical evolution, which I might do.

You'll never know every nuance of musical evolution - it's far too vast a field for anyone to know that.

But music history classes/intro to music courses are useful overviews of some of the main points. There's at least one from an Ivy League university on YouTube for free - I think it is from Yale.

Mozart
Beethoven
JS Bach
Schubert
Brahms
Berg
Stravinsky
Handel
Mahler
Schoenberg

Here is my list.

Most important composers, not necessarily the order I personally prefer them

Bach
Beethoven
Mozart
Wagner
Chopin
Stravinsky
Brahms
Haydn
Liszt
Schubert

The last few on the list I wasn't quite sure about. Mahler and Debussy could have made the cut.

Last edited by preludetr; 11/23/15 11:17 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chopin's ideas transcend the piano, and anyone who seriously studies the great composers will place him among the greatest.

I agree with this. In the past few decades, Chopin research and analysis has become virtually its own musicological publishing industry: Jim Samson, Jeffrey Kallberg, Zofia Chechlinska, and a host of other music historians and theorists have devoted huge quantities of time and effort to examining Chopin's mature music at every conceivable level of granularity. It is no accident that Schenker devoted so much of his attention to Chopin. The fact that everything he composed (I think) has a piano in it is not an encumbrance and is certainly irrelevant to his standing in music history and tradition. He is a towering figure of enormous importance whichever way you look at him. And he wrote some of the finest music not only of the Romantic period but of any period, again whichever way you look at it.

SRF
B
B
Originally Posted by SiFi

I agree with this. In the past few decades, Chopin research and analysis has become virtually its own musicological publishing industry: .......................
And he wrote some of the finest music not only of the Romantic period but of any period, again whichever way you look at it.

It's easy for us pianists to have a completely skewed view of the importance of Chopin in the classical music world.

Let's remember that Chopin is heavily promoted in Poland, and they (very successfully) export him around the world - not just with the Chopin Competition, but also with several festivals, all celebrating Chopin. (BTW, Szymanowski etc is totally relegated to the sidelines - quite disgracefully so, IMO). There's the annual Chopin and His Europe Festival in Warsaw, the International Chopin Festival in Duszniki Zdrój (where not all the pianists play Chopin in their program - some only play him as a token encore....) etc. The Fryderyk Chopin Institute in Warsaw doesn't just organize and promote the festivals in Poland and around the world, it also has its own recording industry, and commissions music scholars from many countries to study Chopin.

I attended the Chopin Symposium in London in 2010, and chatting to the attendees, it was clear that everyone played the piano (either as an amateur or student). Not a single person there was playing or learning a string/woodwind/brass instrument, or a singer.

In comparison with Chopin, Sibelius hardly gets any help in Finland, nor Grieg in Norway, nor Nielsen in Denmark. You can't miss Chopin in Poland, even if you're only a casual non-musical visitor, whereas unless you visit the Sibelius Park in Helsinki or his home in Ainola, Sibelius is hardly visible in Finland. Ditto for Grieg in Norway. Even in Denmark, Nielsen is still principally known for his songs, not his great symphonies. (And Elgar is only known in Britain for 'Land of Hope and Glory'......).

I studied music as an academic subject at high school - Chopin was only mentioned as a sideline, well below even the likes of Handel and Mendelssohn, much less the towering figures of the three B's and Mozart. The keyboard piece we had to study was by Bach, the concerto was Grieg's. Some years ago, I took a few cello lessons at the home of a cellist who also played in a London orchestra. She had an extensive CD collection: cello music, orchestral, chamber, vocal, piano/keyboard - but not a single CD was of Chopin (not even "Chopin's Greatest Hits" wink ). The same for a singer and choral conductor that I know.

So, let's get some perspective of Chopin in classical music, in the non-pianistic world.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Palestrina: Polyphony, the other composer I'd rate as important as Bach
Haydn: Symphony ("Father of the symphony")
Mozart: Opera
Schubert: Art Song
Tchaikovsky: Ballet?
Wagner: Opera, part 2

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Late Chopin is greater than many a symphony, so it really can't be said that Brahms is the greater composer based on that alone.

Have fun telling any non-pianist and any conductor that. As great as late Chopin is, I think hardly anyone outside the piano world will say late Chopin is greater than late Mahler or Brahms or Bruckner. Or Beethoven, for that matter.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Late Chopin is greater than many a symphony, so it really can't be said that Brahms is the greater composer based on that alone.

Have fun telling any non-pianist and any conductor that. As great as late Chopin is, I think hardly anyone outside the piano world will say late Chopin is greater than late Mahler or Brahms or Bruckner. Or Beethoven, for that matter.

Beethoven, sure. But Mahler? Bruckner? Come on. grin

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission