Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
72 registered (Albunea, AndrewJCW, angga888, beet31425, AZ_Astro, 18 invisible), 998 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2484131 - Yesterday at 04:28 PM KAWAI MP7 - defective or not?
Peter_BG Online   content

Hello everybody!
I intend to start learning piano so I decided to purchase an used, but in mint condition Kawai MP7 for 1000 euro. I know this instrument is too good for someone who has never touched a piano keyboard, but I like it most.
So the beautiful device came and I began to test it.
Immediately I noticed something very odd: All the keys of the highest octave seem to have the sustain permanently on!
No matter how long I press my finger on the key - the sound is like my finger does not leave the key at all.
This applies only for the first section of instruments - the piano sounds and the highest octave.
The other instruments did not have this.
I searched in the settings to fix this issue with no success.
I did a reset with factory state: still the same thing.
Is this normal or defect?
I was afraid to spend 1000 eu. for a defective device, so I sent it back to the seller.
Was it a mistake?
The sounds of the piano were overwhelmingly awesome with my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. The keyboard soo nice to touch... All the controls very handy.
Only this sustain.. thing.. was bothering me.
So did I do a mistake to send it back to the seller?

Kind Regards,

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2484140 - Yesterday at 05:01 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
Garf Online   content

On a piano, the highest notes have no damper, so they won't mute if you release the key.

So yes, the instrument was likely fine, and the behavior is expected for something that correctly models an acoustic piano.

#2484147 - Yesterday at 05:21 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
IndyAdam Offline

Good choice for a digital! Garf is correct about the highest notes not being dampened. My Kawai MP6 is the same way. What will really drive you nuts is the fact Kawai also sampled the mechanical noises made when you press the the pedal down, along with the fact while sustaining your played notes, neighboring strings resonate while the damper petal is depressed, making for a more realistic 'ringing' sound. It's a neat digital piano, you are going to really enjoy it.

#2484149 - Yesterday at 05:28 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
Fer De Armas Offline

Hi friend, congratulations i am a happy MP7 owner too... for me this board has best a very expressive and realistic piano sound and best hollow plastic key action today in the market highly responsive and pleasant to touch, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...!

#2484151 - Yesterday at 05:32 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
f3r Online   content

Loc: Italy
Peter, that's normal. From G6 upwards an acoustic piano does not have dampers and therefore the strings are free to vibrate. Digital pianos try to recreate the same experience.

Kawai CA97

#2484168 - Yesterday at 06:16 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
euphoria Offline

you're piano is great,
enjoy it smile

#2484169 - Yesterday at 06:17 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
As everyone else was saying, this is normal. Its an "open string resonance" because the upper strings (G6 upward) are open (ie: no dampers). So whenever you play one of those keys, there's no physical mechanism (ie: a damper) to stop it from vibrating.

At the risk of looking foolish, or admitting that you made a mistake, I'd recommend trying to re-purchase the MP7 as that was a good price!

#2484183 - Yesterday at 07:36 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By Peter_BG
I was afraid to spend 1000 eu. for a defective device, so I sent it back to the seller.

Fingers crossed you can get it back before someone else snaps it up!

Best of luck!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.

#2484191 - Yesterday at 07:57 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Probably better to ask such questions before you return it! Or before you buy it...

#2484243 - Today at 12:40 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
Just Alan Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I understand the panic about possibly having bought a defective DP, but it is a pity you weren't able to ask the questions before you returned it. You will see that many of the MP7 owners in this forum are very happy with their instruments.

All the comments relating to your post have been very useful. It is true, Kawai puts a lot of effort into very accurately recreating as many of the subtleties and characteristics of a real piano in their samples. This is very evident on the MP7.

I personally suffered a good example of initial "panic" when first trying out a MP7 in a store. I was intending to buy it, but the salesman and I noticed some weird issues, for which we did not have immediate answers, so I held off until we could resolve the questions. One issue was that the values in the LCD screen would randomly alter. We discovered later that the reason for this was that the salesman had connected a generic damper pedal into the dedicated damper pedal input...and you must only connect the supplied Kawai damper pedal into this input. (You can connect a generic pedal into a separate control pedal input and assign damper to it). I was also concerned that the Pitch Bend wheel did not operate on the main piano sounds and nor the drawbar organ sounds. We obtained technical advice from Kawai that this was part of the normal setup.

I hope you can see that there is a wealth of support and help when it comes to Kawai DPs, whether from Kawai themselves, or from satisfied users.

All the best.
1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano

#2484276 - 4 minutes 13 seconds ago Re: KAWAI MP7 - defective or not? [Re: Peter_BG]
Peter_BG Online   content

Thanks everybody!
I should ask someone, but I don`t have friends who play the piano and it was a question of Take it or send it back. I didn`t have a chance to gather information about this.
Thank You everybody and cross fingers that I could take it back! :))

Best Regards,

Moderator:  Piano World 
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Yamaha CP4 or CP40 Free Bag
Buy a CP4 or CP40 Get a Free Bag
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"He Makes Music"--A Short Personal Story
by Cinnamonbear
Today at 02:48 AM
by johan d
Today at 02:31 AM
Brian Ganz - Masterclass Maestro
by SiFi
Today at 01:01 AM
Petrof 105
by nylonstring1
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
The versatile Angela Hewitt
by Hank M
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
81,545 Registered Members
44 Forums
168,530 Topics
2,469,328 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission