2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
spk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Looking at Steinway M models and there seem to be quite a few originals on the market from 60's and 70's that a lot of dealers sell somewhere around 25-30K.

Anything in particular to look out for in these models? Were these well built? Would the average one likely need major work soon?

Thanks,

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Teflon in the actions.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
seems quite expensive for an all original M......

It's too hard to generalise with one make and model, and it comes down to individual pianos - one could be full of inharmonicity for instance while the next one won't be.

Look up about the teflon. It's not something we on this side of the pond ever had to contend with, but there are many threads about it on here. It basically depends on the condition of the individual piano. I doubt I'd be willing to pay that much for one though.

YAMAHA Artist
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
No used M is worth more than $35K, regardless of the vintage. You're just edging into O and A territory there. I bought a fully restored L for $29K less than two years ago.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You don't mention what part of the country in which you're located, or even which country...

What are your performance expectations for the piano? How will it be used?

Agreed with the others, that if all original, the prices are insanely high, and these pianos (if NY production models, not Hamburg) are considered a historical low point in terms of quality level. In many parts of the country that get big seasonal changes in weather, temperature, and humidity, an all-original piano that's 40-55 years old can have significant problems, even if it wasn't played much. You would have to hire an independent technician to inspect it, in order to be sure.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
spk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thanks for the responses.

I am looking to move up from a Kawai upright to a medium size grand. I'd be looking to practice advanced repertoire on it a couple of hours per day.

I'm in Texas, a couple of hours away from Houston/San Antonio/Austin, so would need to look out of town. The other piano besides used/rebuilt Steinway M I am thinking about would be a used Schimmel. I tried a new Schimmel K series and thought it was fantastic, but don't have the 45K budget. I don't like Yamahas, and want to try something different from Kawai.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you want to see what's available in the new market, try this tool:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/acoustic_database.html

I just tried it, putting in ebony finish pianos in sizes of 5'5" to 6'3", with SMP prices of 25-40k, then applied a discount to that price. There were many interesting examples in the $30k and under range.

If you're willing to look around through the classifieds:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/classifieds/

I plugged in the same size range, and just the state of Texas, and it returned 16 results, including (admittedly not the same as their current K series) a used Schimmel.

You might be able to find a nice used grand of considerable quality (perhaps only 10 years old) for these prices, if you're willing to "pound the pavement" and ask around.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Hold on to your wallet. Not only the ill-engineered Teflon, but the damper geometry, the action ratios, the Pratt-Read keys, etc. make this period of Steinway pianos a curious value. The vintage you are talking about represents the low point of Steinway action quality, but a surprisingly high percentage of responsive soundboards. If you know what to look for, you can end up with a fairly hot Steinway for $ 30,000.

I have found many pianos with serial numbers between 360,000 and 450,000 with absolutely horrid actions. These are characterized by hard, dead hammers, high ratios, totally whacko key leading, etc. However, if there is a chance to tune it, I can tell if the bellywork and bridges and pin block are up to snuff. If so, a mid-sixties M can usually be bought for $15,000, at most, and $10-12,000 as normal. Plan on $12,000 for the complete replacement of the action, from the pedal pivot to the damper heads. if your tech knows how to put together the right parts for your particular piano, (modern factory parts are NOT always the best, or even, an acceptable, option for many of their older pianos), you can end up with something that is nicer than what you find on the showroom floor.

You gotta have a tech on your side that is conversant with the brand. Skimping on technical guidance in the pursuit of buying an older Steinway piano is penny-wise,and that is all that it is!
Regards,

Last edited by Ed Foote; 11/25/15 08:04 PM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
To add to Ed's excellent advice above. Some Steinway's can have a hardened V-bar in the top two sections of strings. This is where the capo d'astro bar is. The V-bar forms the string termination point on the plate. If the V-bar is hard, the tone is metallic, and false and the strings will fatigue sooner there than in the lower sections of strings which have brass agraffes. Some steinways have hard V-bars, never pay much for one that way.

I have done many Steinways from this era where I optimize the plate terminations. I replace the bridge caps and lay out the string lengths and spacings on the bridge to optimize speaking lengths and straighten string paths between tuning pin and hitch pin.

Replacing the action frame, hammers, shanks & flanges, damper underlever action, and key bushings are also needed to bring them up to full potential.

So; one has to buy one of these pianos for very little money or you end up having a piano that you invested more into it than you can sell it for. But it will perform better and last longer than a brand new one.

And of course if you buy a new one you will also have invested more than you can sell it for, but the first way results in a superb and sublime piano and at a reduced total cost.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I do find I can take a Baldwin M or R from the 1945 to 1969 era and trick them out to beat a similarly tricked out Steinway S or M. The Baldwin designs for these two models is better, especially in the treble. The Steinway plates are more flexible in the capo bar than the Baldwins and this reduces the treble clarity.

That said, the Steinway M can be nice to play when working really well.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 11/25/15 11:14 PM. Reason: clarity

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission