2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2484294 11/25/15 06:37 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Reducing my ambitions has made me happier.
Probably because I have been too ambitious, and actually unrealistic. I spent too much time trying to learn too long and difficult pieces and didn't have the "time" to focus on basic technique. The result was that I didn't actually learn anything, but developed lots of bad habits.

So I put away the Beethoven sonatas and the Chopin etudes, and found shorter and easier pieces, spent more time on basics and focused more on details. And significantly improved my practice routines.

Now I'm able to play pieces of moderate difficulty in an ok way, and this is far more satisfactory than chasing rainbows. I also see that now it is possible to slowly approach more challenging stuff.

Exploring the easy to intermediate difficulty piano literature has been very rewarding. There is so much beautiful music that isn't necessarily virtuosic.

The process of reducing the ambitions was painful to begin with, but for me it was very rewarding. It made me happier, and I also think it made me a better pianist.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Reading this makes me also happy that I did begin (and still am) doing the beginning stuff. Good for you to find out that there is a lot of beautifull and easier music to deal with.

edit: but hey wait... your recital post says you have 50 yrs of experience?

Last edited by johan d; 11/25/15 06:43 AM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, in the late sixties I tried to learn "la Campanella". In early seventies I "practiced" Chopin Ballades, Scherzi and Etudes. Then came Beethoven sonatas, and later Mozart. Gradually I realized that all this was way beyond what I actually could play in a decent way. After purchasing the two- and three-part Inventions of Bach I even realized that this was very difficult to play cleanly and make music out of, but I think that this brought me back on track, and after that time I have progressed slowly. During the last few years I have been able to build a repertoire mainly with intermediate pieces, but now I enjoy playing more than ever before.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I see a lot of wisdom in focusing on pieces that are within your skill level. Then you can strive for beauty rather than struggling against technical hurdles--and as you say, it can lead to more solid progress.

I like to stay in my technical comfort zone especially when performing. I don't like to play (or sing) things in public unless I can get them to the point where they feel easy in practice. One result is that people who hear me often assume I'm a much better musician than I really am. They don't hear the stuff I'm not good at! smile

1989 Baldwin R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Ganddalf, Glad you are having a more satisfying time doing what you're doing.
In my experience, the real growth happens when pieces get to be played very very well... so I'm guessing you'll find more difficult pieces coming into your reach after a year or two of working less difficult pieces up to a high level of quality.
But the most important thing is that you are playing good music and enjoying it so much.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
How did you know I needed to see this thread? smile

Yesterday my new piano arrived. Sold the previous one two years ago and threw all the sheet music out.
Except for the one Beethoven Sonata I enjoy murdering I am going to back up and slow down.
Carnegie ain't in the cards.

Repertoire suggestions are welcome.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
If you're looking for something a little off the beaten path Manuel Ponce has a great piece for intermediate players, his Intermezzo no 2. I have assigned it to many students and they love it, it's quite beautiful and you can find many recordings on youtube of it, even one by Lang Lang!

You can find it here.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Ponce,_Manuel

EDIT: Sorry its Intermezzo no 1, not no 2.

Last edited by Cheeto717; 11/25/15 10:19 AM.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice to read this Ganddalf. I'm also reducing a bit in difficulty to get more music under my belt. (But I have to confess I still have one or two of those difficult pieces in my schedule.)

I also notice that playing not so difficult repertoire is indeed satisfying. It can of course still be challenging, although it's manageable and it does not take up months and months before being able to play it smooth and musical. There's the satisfying part.

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Hi Ganddalf, Glad you are having a more satisfying time doing what you're doing.
In my experience, the real growth happens when pieces get to be played very very well... so I'm guessing you'll find more difficult pieces coming into your reach after a year or two of working less difficult pieces up to a high level of quality.
But the most important thing is that you are playing good music and enjoying it so much.

This is, indeed, my experience. I noticed that you have the third Bach Partita on your working schedule, and I guess that you know that I played this for the "Suites" recital. I think that my work with this partita helped me a lot. It is very transparent and requires very systematic practice. I learned a lot about ornaments and phrasing and working with this music was very interesting and rewarding.

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CHAS

Yesterday my new piano arrived. Sold the previous one two years ago and threw all the sheet music out.
Except for the one Beethoven Sonata I enjoy murdering I am going to back up and slow down.

Try some Mendelssohn! His Songs without words span the whole range from relatively simple to nearly unplayable. At first glance these pieces may appear a bit trivial, but when you dive into them you may find them very rewarding to work with. I also like the Haydn sonatas. Most of them are shorter and simpler than the Mozart and Beethoven sonatas, but there's a lot of very delicate music there.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S

Some idea of the level of repertoire and maybe type would be useful--- and I'm sure you will be flooded with suggestions There is so much wonderful music out there at every level. smile If there is something you play successfully, and enjoy, that would be a good hint for suggestions to come your way.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
You just might have something there. I 'sort of' hung it up when I reached the limit of my capabilities. Trying to struggle with that heavy duty Rocky-baby and Prokofiev was just about beyond my limit, considering the job and all. Knowing your limits is probably smarter and less frustrating than trying to push beyond your time and space...in the end it only aggravates your teacher and the audience...better to do one thing well...

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
The process of reducing the ambitions was painful to begin with, but for me it was very rewarding. It made me happier, and I also think it made me a better pianist.

I have come to the same sort of happy place. I do have ambitions to tackle larger works but that's for the future. I get a lot of satisfaction from playing something like a 2 part invention well over struggling with something like a Beethoven sonata that is beyond my ability.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I think that many of us have been through the stage where we were trying to work on material that was beyond our grasp. Alas, some of us have not yet had the wisdom to come out of that stage.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I play Tcherepnin's 1st Bagatelle and have worked hard on Beethoven's Sonata Opus 49 no. 2 aka 20.
I played the first part of the sonata ok. I like it a lot, but I am looking for easier pieces.

B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
I think that many of us have been through the stage where we were trying to work on material that was beyond our grasp. Alas, some of us have not yet had the wisdom to come out of that stage.

When I was young, I worked on pieces that were beyond my grasp, because I didn't know they were difficult. (Nothing is impossible when you're 15 wink ). Like Chopin's Op.53 when I was at Grade 5 ABRSM (a.k.a. "intermediate standard") - it took me another three years before I could actually play it as Freddy intended, but that only served to vindicate my premise that nothing is impossible....

Now that I'm old & decrepit, I work on pieces that are beyond my grasp.......because I don't have much time left to learn the impossible grin. (I don't believe in reincarnation).

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I play Tcherepnin's 1st Bagatelle and have worked hard on Beethoven's Sonata Opus 49 no. 2 aka 20.
I played the first part of the sonata ok. I like it a lot, but I am looking for easier pieces.

Here are a few suggestions -- not sure what is appealing to you-- and I am sure other forum members will help

bartok mickrokosmos -- six vol of progressive difficulty
check on vol 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgB_uqFCrI
vol 5

Burgmuller op 100 22 Barcolle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KbocHXj2k

Debbusy Reverie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KbocHXj2k

Alkan op 63 no 23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UCF1K5KbhQ

Albinoni- adagio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwylhRgLTdQ

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
This is a bit of a problem with me now, because my teacher wants me to work on harder things and get technically better, while I myself am now more in the mood for perfecting pieces that I already can technically play ok (probably due to the high demands of my job right now). When I am in a more ambitious mode we work together smoothly, but right now it's a bit of a struggle of wills.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

... (I don't believe in reincarnation).

Belief is not required. grin

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission