2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2483315 11/22/15 01:53 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I have a 1989 Schimmel upright. Recently bought by me but appears not played very much in it's earlier life. The piano has been regulated and tuned and is playing well with the exception of the note at the break between the treble and the bass. In particular the E flat immediately above the break sounds flat and the string is left with an overtone (7th) after the note is released. The three notes immediately above are also a bit dead and sound a bit flat but with no noticeable bad overtone. I have drawn this to the attention of the tuner but he doesn't see a cure. The existing strings are steel - would a copper wire string be the answer or what else should I look at. I could live with he other notes but not the E flat which sticks out even when playing a chord.

philip cg #2483329 11/22/15 02:59 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If a note plays after you have released the key with no pedal, it is a leaky damper. The damper needs to be adjusted so it hits all the strings evenly. The other dampers may not be lifting properly.

If this has gone on for some time, the hammers may need to be voiced, because players will compensate, resulting in uneven wear. Careful filing, matching the hammers to the strings, is the first step. But take care of the dampers, first.

These are basics. Your tuner should know these things.

Semipro Tech
philip cg #2483403 11/22/15 07:09 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks. The tuner has a good reputation and has done a good job so far but I will discuss the damper and further voicing with him. He has done some voicing already but has commented on how little wear there is on the hammers for the age of the piano.

philip cg #2483887 11/24/15 03:56 AM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Partials bleeding through dampers and other problems are sometimes caused by less experienced or less knowledgeable tuners forcing tuning wedges too far between strings and altering the string spacing, sometimes trapping the delicate damper felt. Normal slight movements in the soundboard and bridges can also be a cause when the dampers are already borderline.

Consequently, most often the appropriate way of correcting bleeding dampers is to re-align the strings to the dampers.

While problematic last notes on a bridge can take a lot of experience to correct, I would question the elementary skills of a tuner who doesn't automatically correct the odd simple bleeding damper in the course of a tuning.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

rXd #2484425 11/25/15 02:22 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Amanda. I asked another tuner to have a quick look. This man is a member of the association and has a life time of experience. He is going to change the damper as it is not hitting the strings correctly but is not guaranteeing that it will get rid of the problem. Pushing the damper firmly does not stop the after-ring but touching the string above the damper does. Waiting for the tuner to find time to come back. Busy time of the year. Hoping that this will be the cure.

philip cg #2484566 11/25/15 09:39 PM
G
GMG Offline
G
The 7th partial is usually prominent in this part of the range, I wouldn't call it a bad overtone as it is just the natural part of the harmonic series giving character to the sound. It does sound like the damper needs adjusting though. Your tuner could put a twist in the dead strings or run a loop through the string which can sometimes bring some life back into the sound.

muso, part time tech.
philip cg #2484696 11/26/15 08:56 AM
P
OP Offline
P
The harmonic wouldn't be noticeable if it didn't linger after the note so hopefully the new damper will relieve me of this problem. Will mention your other comments to tuner when he is here. Thanks for your help

philip cg #2484728 11/26/15 10:34 AM
J
J
Moth eaten dampen can't stop a vibrating string. The result is not considered overtone. An overtone is sound additional to the fundamental frequency. It's can be a mix of inharmonic and sympathetic vibrations.

Sitting between two pianos, a digital and an acoustic, in general people cannot hear the difference. A very sharp earn can hear the night and day difference. The acoustic has something the the digital does not have; that is, the hidden vibration of the cast iron. If you can hear it, it's the overtone.

Do experiment with a good acoustic piano. First hit middle C and release it. The damper stops the vibration of the middle C immediately; then hit G immediately above it. You will have hear the middle C and the G sounding, which you will not hear on the digital.

philip cg #2484730 11/26/15 10:42 AM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Your opening post said that the note in question has plain steel strings therefor attempting to twist them would be interesting to watch as well as counterproductive as I'm sure your tech will tell you.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

philip cg #2485312 11/28/15 09:26 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Yes Amanda, I read the bit about twisting strings and didn't understand it but that is the difficulty of asking someone to comment without them looking at the piano or indeed hearing it. Nevertheless I am grateful for all comments but can't do anything until the tuner comes back. Just turning my ear off when I play these notes.

In rely to the comment about acoustic and digital I can comment that up to know I have been playing a digital and it is taking me a long time to get used to the acoustic. I have found that the digital lack of response hides poor touch and poor pedalling both of which are taking time to improve. No gain without pain but the feedback from the acoustic piano when I get it right is immeasurably better. Unfortunately it is hard to get these things right and play the more difficult pieces.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission