2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2484500 11/25/15 05:30 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
We tried several grand piano's over the past 3 weeks. We found 2 that really spoke to us, but one in particular really sung to us!! So I called up and put in an offer... it was totally accepted. But then we saw the sales price on the SF10! HAHA So We will go on Friday and make our final decision.

Baldwin L, you are coming home soon!! You will be a great older brother to your little sister, Schulze Pollman 126/E Classico. I feel some two piano duets coming on soon!!

:-)

Denise
2005 Schulze Pollmann 126/e Classico Upright (Maple with Sunburst inlay)
1965 Baldwin Model L 6'3" Grand (Satin Black)
2020 Yamaha Clavinova CLP 735
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Congratulations!! Can't wait to see pics/hear it/see the duets!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Denise! Your Piano World threads and piano search saga were interesting and intriguing. Glad you have narrowed it down even more! smile

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Awesome! Congratulations. I always say you can't beat a nice older Baldwin (but I'm biased). wink

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Here are photos of the new grand... can't wait for delivery!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am in love and can't wait til delivery!! :-)

Denise
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats on your new piano! Thanks for sharing pics.

Those are great pianos.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
S
S

Many congratulations to you! -- from another thrilled L fan. Piano love is out-of-this-world magnificent.

1989 Baldwin L

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Denise,

I haven't quite kept up with your travels. Did your new piano come from Bob Estrin/Living Pianos? If so, did you enjoy shopping there and did you feel the pianos were pretty much ready to go off the floor?

TIA,

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Kurt,

We did indeed. We were planning on making a second trip to Fields and Hollywood Pianos this weekend, but after reflecting and discussion, and sleeping and dreaming... we knew the 1965 L was the one. The cabinet is refreshed to a near new beautiful ebony, it has been restrung, new keytops... the action is so even and buttery smooth. We both have a light touch, so the action is perfect for both of us.

One thing we did find notable about Living Pianos, there wasn't a "BAD" piano in the store. We worked with Shon, although I did see Robert in the back. He was not intrusive, he was not pushy, and he was a delight to speak with. We have been to about 6 stores, and this one, besides the SoCal Piano (Steinway dealer) had the best prepped floor pianos. Some may not have been "perfectly" in tune, but they were all decent sounding. Solid pianos for the beginner to the seasoned professional... I did find the prices to be a bit high, but it is So. CA, and they are all prepped and regulated well. Price includes delivery anywhere in the US. I called up an offer, before their "Black Friday" pricing appeared on the website yesterday. My offer was on par with the sale pricing, so it was obviously accepted. We highly recommend visiting. You can tell they care about each and every piano in the store, and they pretty much know the history of each.

Hope that helped!!

Last edited by neciebugs; 11/26/15 01:57 PM.

Denise
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How nice. I always liked L's from Baldwin's glory days.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Wow! Piano looks beautiful. Vintage Baldwins are amazing instruments!

Enjoy

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Rickster
Congratulations, Denise! Your Piano World threads and piano search saga were interesting and intriguing. Glad you have narrowed it down even more! smile

All the best,

Rick

Thank you. I reread my 1 year search for my first acoustic piano as an adult (not my Kimball Spinet that my mom promptly sold when I moved out and joined the Navy in 1989!). This was much easier and faster! Fewer factors like moving from VA to CA... not knowing what size apartment/house etc.. And Jason, my boyfriend, was an amazing help (professional pianist). We both lusted after the brand new Steinway B. But reality as it may be, brought me back down to earth. We tried used Bs, As and Os with varying degrees of suitability. Finally, we found the Baldwins and it was a tough decision between the L and the SF10 at Living Piano's in Santa Ana. He preferred the SF10, but I couldn't justify the 10k extra. The L has new strings, bushings, key tops and the case has been refinished. IT honestly plays like new. Sounds fantastic, and the feel actually rivaled that new B (just a little ;-) ) I am confident that we have a great piano that will see many hours of playing. Between the two of us, I'd say 4-6 hours a day of practice, lately. I've been playing a lot more than I normally do lately.

Cant wait to go see it tomorrow and pay the balance! I wonder how long it will take them to deliver it... we need to start figuring out placement in the living room! LOL (minor details!!)

Denise
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Dave B
Wow! Piano looks beautiful. Vintage Baldwins are amazing instruments!

Enjoy

Thank you! I can't wait til it gets here!

Denise
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations FYI Del Fandrich who is a well known and highly respected piano designer and who posts on this forum has said that the Baldwin L is one of his favorite designs.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by neciebugs
Kurt,

We did indeed.
One thing we did find notable about Living Pianos, there wasn't a "BAD" piano in the store.

Hope that helped!!

It did. I like Baldwins so I'll have to trot down there (from westside L.A.) eventually. I'm glad to hear it was a successful and pleasant experience.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
D
D
Denise,

[hands thrust up in the air] Saweeeeeeet!!!

So when's delivery??!! My Yamaha was delivered from NY to NC and arrived at 12:45am on a Saturday morning, but I didn't care! After it was setup and placed to my liking, I then played it until a little after 4am :^)

Best wishes with it, and post up lots of pictures!

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Rich D.
Congratulations FYI Del Fandrich who is a well known and highly respected piano designer and who posts on this forum has said that the Baldwin L is one of his favorite designs.

Rich

I seem to remember Del when I was buying my piano 10 years ago! I haven't seen posts from him on this quest. I remember him being quite knowledgeable. :-)

Denise
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jealous much?! Congratulations and may you have many happy years of sweet tunes.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Originally Posted by neciebugs
Kurt,

We did indeed.
One thing we did find notable about Living Pianos, there wasn't a "BAD" piano in the store.

Hope that helped!!

It did. I like Baldwins so I'll have to trot down there (from westside L.A.) eventually. I'm glad to hear it was a successful and pleasant experience.

Kurt

Tell Shon or Robert I said Hi!! :-) It's so worth the trip. Jason starts subbing at Disney soon, and he already said he will stop by once in a while just to see whats in stock. Good thing about that... they offer lifetime 100% trade up!! :-) So if ever, and I doubt we will, we find a better piano... (Slapping myself and saying, "SHUT UP DENISE!")

Denise
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by DrewBone
Denise,

[hands thrust up in the air] Saweeeeeeet!!!

So when's delivery??!! My Yamaha was delivered from NY to NC and arrived at 12:45am on a Saturday morning, but I didn't care! After it was setup and placed to my liking, I then played it until a little after 4am :^)

Best wishes with it, and post up lots of pictures!

Regards,
Andy

Holy carp! That's a late delivery!! They were going to try to get it delivered today, but I didn't think it would work... They thought it might! HAHA!! That's ok, we spent the day decorating for Christmas! It comes Monday!! Jason is home, and I figured that would be fine. But he told me I had to take a day off of work. He said, you got yourself a grand, you should be here when it gets here. I felt bad telling my principal that I wasn't going to be in Monday, but you know!! PRIORITIES!! :-) The window is between 9 and 11 am. I can't wait!

I just hope I don't fall too in love with it and ignore my gorgeous upright!! We spent last night figuring out layout, and we still haven't come to consensus. I think we are going to corner it, so that while you play you have view of the upright (for duet sake). Unfortunately, although I have a great music room, there are only 2 outer walls... one wall has the grand staircase upstairs and the other is open to the living room... SO we either center it in the room, or angle it. Good thing the casters will have felt on the bottom. Still deciding on putting an area rug in before it gets here (I have hardwood floors) but, with 2 cats and a dog... hairballs and accidents tend to be on the carpeted areas.

So much planning!!

When did you get your Yam? I remember when I bought my new SP 126/E in Virginia, they said a week for delivery. The day after I bought it they called and asked if they could deliver it that evening. I was like, ummm... duh? LOL Granted the Baldwin is a 50 year old beauty and not brand spanking new, but I am even more excited!! Funny thing, it was only a few thousand more than my upright!! hehe

Last edited by neciebugs; 11/28/15 09:40 PM.

Denise
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission