2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 47 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 46 47
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've not started yet this piece yet, but had a quick chat with teacher for the year ahead during my previous lesson. I mentioned "Liszt" because I've never learned any of his pieces. He suggested Waldesrauschen (one of his concert etudes). Then I mentioned also his more popular piece, Liebestraume No. 3, and he also said yes. He said Liszt goes well with Bach, which I've started learning his P&F in E from WTC Book 2. Then he suggested I should also do Debussy but no pieces have been decided yet.

On top of that, there will be relearning/revisiting Mozart Sonata in C, KV330, Rachmaninov's preludes in D, Gm, and G#m and Chopin's Nocturne in D-flat. If I progress well, I will probably also revisit Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata.

So these are the piece I will be playing tomorrow, and 364 days that follow.

Be yourself

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
15 November 2015

Played today all kind of baroque from Dietrich Buxtehude....among others Suites E minor, Canzonetta's, Fugues......mmmmm...love baroque 3hearts see also older posts

Buxtehude IMSLP

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 11/15/15 06:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
16 november 2015

Today again a day full of baroque.......played among others....

Georg Muffat........Partitas (say Suites) D-minor and E-minor (about the last one, no.6 : the site says E-major and the sheet says G-major....but trust me....it's E-minor... grin grin )

Partitas, Georg Muffat 3hearts

It's worth to play.......

Best regards
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

F
F
I'm slowly working on Bach's Invention No.1 without the aid of my teacher (she's had two abdominal surgeries n the past month), and I have a question about measure 13. The last note of the 2nd beat is E above middle C in both staves--am I supposed to play the same note with two fingers? Doesn't make sense! Any help will be appreciated.

Yama B3
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fugue14
I'm slowly working on Bach's Invention No.1 without the aid of my teacher (she's had two abdominal surgeries n the past month), and I have a question about measure 13. The last note of the 2nd beat is E above middle C in both staves--am I supposed to play the same note with two fingers? Doesn't make sense! Any help will be appreciated.

Fugue14,

The two ' E's ' from the two music-lines come toghether.......of course it doesn't make sense to play with two fingers.........
I play it with my right hand thumb.......why......I'll explain......
1. The second, third and fourth beat have the same musical pattern.......
2. The melody of the lefthand stave ends in this E......and the left hand starts to follow the pattern of the right hand in the third beat

Perhaps another musician has another idea.....but these for my two cents....

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
17 November 2015

Played Suites (Partitas) from Muffat, Suites from Buxtehude.....and some Sonatines by Benda

18 November 2015

Today played all Sonatines of Benda, nice music from the classical period...... 3hearts

Benda, 34 Sonatines

Worth to have a look, worth to play.........

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
19 November 2015

Tonight playing a lot of Suites from Buxtehude.........last week I bought an album with all keyboardsuites....... 3hearts

At imslp.org only two of them......
Buxtehude, Keyboard suites BuxWV 235&236

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
20 november 2015

Just like yesterday........playing Buxtehude Suites........I love baroque........Courantes, gigues, sarabandes......mmmmm......musicparty.... 3hearts 3hearts

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
21 & 22 November 2015

Played all kind of music from different periods.........among others.....

Classical chillout

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
This morning I worked on a piece of Schubert. It is the second movement of Sonata Op.42 which is a "theme with variations" set. Schubert sonatas are generally not so often played. One of the reasons may be that many of them are quite long and technically difficult. And among the Schubert sonatas Op.42 is one of the less frequently played. This is a shame really, because the sonata - particularly the variation movement - is very beautiful.

I'm preparing this music for the "Theme with variations" themed recital under the "Pianist Corner". It is difficult, but I hope to manage to learn and memorize it before the deadline (which I actually set myself).

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
This morning I worked on a piece of Schubert. It is the second movement of Sonata Op.42 which is a "theme with variations" set. Schubert sonatas are generally not so often played. One of the reasons may be that many of them are quite long and technically difficult. And among the Schubert sonatas Op.42 is one of the less frequently played. This is a shame really, because the sonata - particularly the variation movement - is very beautiful.

I'm preparing this music for the "Theme with variations" themed recital under the "Pianist Corner". It is difficult, but I hope to manage to learn and memorize it before the deadline (which I actually set myself).

23 November 2015

Tried the Schumann piece you mentioned.......mmmmm....beautiful but not realy easy.......for me, mostly playing baroque and music from the classical period, quite another world.....So my morning pianomusic ended again with Buxtehude Suites......

Best regards,
Johan B

And a few hours later........say the whole afternoon.....Buxtehude, Suites & Aria's and variationen. You know, it's ment for harpsichord but playing it at the piano....it brings more.....using dynamic and more possibilities of phrasing.....legato versus staccato.....etc.....

JB

Last edited by Johan B; 11/23/15 11:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Johan B

23 November 2015

Tried the Schumann piece you mentioned.......mmmmm....beautiful but not realy easy.......for me, mostly playing baroque and music from the classical period, quite another world.....So my morning pianomusic ended again with Buxtehude Suites......

Best regards,
Johan B

I assume you meant Schubert, not Schumann.

I'm not so sure that romantic music in general is more difficult to play than baroque. At least, if you want to play baroque music well, there are so many things to think about, like phrasing, voicing and embellishments. I play a lot of Bach and I love it. But already the two- and three-part inventions require considerable skills, and are much more difficult to play than simple Grieg pieces, some Chopin Mazurkas or other romantic stuff.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

23 November 2015

Best regards,
Johan B

I assume you meant Schubert, not Schumann.

I'm not so sure that romantic music in general is more difficult to play than baroque. At least, if you want to play baroque music well, there are so many things to think about, like phrasing, voicing and embellishments. I play a lot of Bach and I love it. But already the two- and three-part inventions require considerable skills, and are much more difficult to play than simple Grieg pieces, some Chopin Mazurkas or other romantic stuff.

Of course I meant Schubert, little mistake.......I also play some easy Lyric pieces of Grieg, Waldscenen of Schumann, some Dvorak........some facsimile Chopins......
My problem is mostly the big chords I can't play with my small hand/fingers........ Don't know what kind of hands these guys had......arghhhh😳😳

Kind regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 11/23/15 11:25 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

23 November 2015

Of course I meant Schubert, little mistake.......I also play some easy Lyric pieces of Grieg, Waldscenen of Schumann, some Dvorak........some facsimile Chopins......
My problem is mostly the big chords I can't play with my small hand/fingers........ Don't know what kind of hands these guys had......arghhhh😳😳

Kind regards,
Johan B

I have very small hands myself....

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
24 & 25 November 2015

Played a lot of Buxtehude suites, see other posts.....

26 November 2015
Today a long day at work, did many advice calls with students and their parents at my college till 22.00h, I am teacher and study advisor, but.........there is also a nice Yamaha in the house.......I took a break played for more than an hour from the albums of Margarete Babinsky. These books are in my office for the thrifty times.......

Margarete Babinsky, Klassieker A-Z

Nice to play........

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
26 November 2015

After a day hard working, and having a terrible headache, played for a small half hour some of my favorites.......

Pastorale, part 3 BWV590 3hearts

Three melodies of Dichterliebe, Schumann and a Romance of his wife Clara..... 3hearts

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 11/27/15 05:47 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
27 November 2015

Today started with some parts of the French Suites of Bach....after that Buxtehude, Suites and ended with an Adagio from a pianosonate of Haydn....

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
29 November 2015

This afternoon.....realized that I have also two books with Suites of Händel

Händel, keyboard suites

Mmmmm.....lurk around and play them......so nice..... Cheerful baroque.... 3hearts 3hearts recommended!!

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
30 November 2015

Today played among others four Sonatas.........Haydn....mmmmm...nice

Haydn, Keyboard Sonatas

Lurk around and recommended to play them........... 3hearts

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Okay, I'll admit it. Today I played Moonlight Sonata (1st mvmt only). And I know it's so overplayed but that's perhaps because it's so beautiful. And it made me feel all fuzzy and warm and joyous and in love with the world again. Thanks Ludwig!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
Page 19 of 47 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission