Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
122 registered (ajames, AndrewJCW, Bassano, Aleksandre, augustm, 30 invisible), 1566 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2484959 - Today at 05:30 AM Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
I've been one of the forum members praising the Sennheiser HD598 headphones from time to time. So I thought I'd bring this to anyone's attention who may be considering the 598's:

Amazon (US) has a deal of the day on the HD598SE - same headphone but in a stylish-looking black (instead of cream and brown), and including an additional (shorter) cable for use with portable devices. $95.

I'm having a VERY hard time resisting the impulse to pick up a pair of these, even though I already own a cream/brown pair!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2484971 - Today at 06:45 AM Re: Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95 [Re: pwl]
Hendrik42 Online   content

Loc: Germany
In Germany for 99 Euro, as well. Thats a deal. I was on the brink for better headphones anyway, so brought one. Black, how nice!

Thanks, pwl!
Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)

#2484972 - Today at 06:46 AM Re: Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95 [Re: pwl]
Tiger22 Offline

I'm an HD598 fan also. I already have a pair but I can't resist a second pair at that price so thanks for posting the deal here. Sigh - that's my promise to resist temptation and not buy anything today out the window....!

#2484984 - Today at 08:04 AM Re: Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95 [Re: pwl]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Wow, thanks for the heads up! Now to convince hubby... smile
private piano/voice teacher FT

#2484998 - Today at 09:25 AM Re: Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95 [Re: pwl]
Marko in Boston Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts

#2485009 - Today at 10:12 AM Re: Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95 [Re: pwl]
Alexander Borro Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
That's really good price, I got mine for more or less that on ebay one time and love them for piano use.

I would sum them up as follows personally, FWIW, for anyone thinking whether they may like to buy them blind without trying and wonder what they sound like.

The good:

Very comfortable, light on the head, there is none of the getting warm under the pads very quickly, for me anyway

Very flat response, in that sense they surpass the more costly HD 650 and are more on level of the HD600.

Easy to drive, no concerns for whatever piano whatever you plug them into, it will drive them just fine.

Very spacious sound and good projection and sense of mental imaging, as is the advantage of open back designs, you really get a sense where sounds are coming from.

on the whole the sound signature is very laid back and relaxing, trebles are not in any way piercing for those that tend to get ear fatique easily, these are perfect I would say for that, because of that you can actually turn them up without getting that feeling you ears are being hammered, for pianos and large dynamics range sounds this makes them very comfortable on the ears for long term use I find.

For me I find it a great combo for pianoteq, it take the somewhat metallic harshness out of it an make it sound a bit more natural overall.

The perhaps not so good:

Due to the laid back sound signature, and the recessed upper range they do not come across as terribly detailed sounding or forwards. I'd actually put these more in the circle of nice to listen to headphones, not reference headphones, even though they are very flat in response.

If you want to pick up every nuance or pick out a bad recordings and do mixing. I'd use something else, they are actually rather flattering to the sound and smooth I think, not in any way harsh. To my ears that is just right, it sounds very natural to like how sounds come across in the open air in nature, but nothing is overstated with these headphones, but at the same time everything is there just enough.

Related to this I would say some may find this sound a bit recessed and boring, not exciting enough for some. As someone once put once it remember well, and IMHO, he hit the nail on the head:

When you listen to classical music like an orchestra, it is like sitting in the audience as a spectator, there is this slightly distant quality to the sound stage. If you want to experience what it sounds like to sit on the stage amongst other instruments, then look at something like grado territory, AKG etc then that would be more for you. I agree totally with this.

bass extension is good enough for me, enough for piano for sure, but there is better in the same price range, you'll not get the very deepest of bass. It is quite common for many headphones to have a bit of a lift around 100 HZ and below by about 2 to 3 dB. Many closed backs do too, and if you are used to that type of bass, you may find them a bit lacking at first, but can easily get used to it when you listen to them a while.

Stereo imaging is not the most accurate, it sounds really good an spacious and natural due to wide soundstage, but must not be confused with stereo width and space. There is actually a little bit of mistiming an phase issues due coordination issues between left and right. Once you have heard a phone with more accurate timing you would hear that difference straight away, but if you never heard anything different you'd never know. To me it just doesn't sound the most accurate in that regard compared others I used on and off.

Some frequencies and areas for vocals in particular,there are some problems areas with distortions too. Also, not the fastest drivers. If you like rapid beats and bass stuff, again these may be a little lacking for that, still very respectable though for that type of use.

Overall these are not the tidiest cleanest sounding headphones in this price range if you were to buy them at stock price in terms of sound perfection, if there is such a thing, but overall they just sound lovely ... to me, a sound signature you can cuddle to with some warmth like a Xmas evening by the open fire laugh In this case it is true however that the more you pay in this range the HD600 and HD650 are better in that regard ( but note, amps often needed for the latter too ) still my can of choice is the hd598, I had the other two briefly and they have come and gone because of the convenience factor. Also the HD 598 surpasses both of these more expensive brethren in terms of soundstage IMO.

For the elderly and if you are ears are beginning to struggle a bit, again you may find them sounding somewhat recessed and looking for that bit of a mids to treble boost, then look elsewhere perhaps.

They let in external sound as do all open backs, if you want isolation from external sounds, this is not for you.

cable is a bit thin and flimsy, for example if you tap it you can hear it through the phones. If you walk around a bit and the cable is moving and touching things you can hear those knocks transmitted through the phones. To me that is no issue, I don't do that.

Hope that helps smile
Self taught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course book 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various others.
Casio Celviano AP 450 & various peripherals.

My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2485073 - 20 minutes 37 seconds ago Re: Sennheiser HD598 on sale for $95 [Re: pwl]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
All these fantastic offers - I've been window shopping these headphones for ages......and they sound as if they'd make a good counterpart for my HD215 which are not at the same level, but are sort of poor man's reference phones costing about €80: very unflattering but fairly detailed ).

However these HD598 would be on a higher level altogether, for almost the same price.....first the Grandeur at half price & Vintage D 30% off - now these. Get thee behind me Satan!
Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Audiophile 2496
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

Moderator:  Piano World 
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Yamaha CP4 or CP40 Free Bag
Buy a CP4 or CP40 Get a Free Bag
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
8 hands, 1 piano!
by look_alive
Today at 01:06 PM
How Playing Music Benefits Your Brain More than ............
by Grandpianoman
Today at 12:58 PM
Where to buy CLP-545/575 with voltage selector
by West39th
Today at 12:02 PM
How to learn advanced piano techniques (ex: piano runs)?
by Aly Baracat
Today at 11:46 AM
Piano auctions
by PhilipInChina
Today at 11:42 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
81,564 Registered Members
44 Forums
168,604 Topics
2,470,122 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission