2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi! This is my first message here and I'm afraid I'm asking a stupid question, so be kind!

I studied piano a little as a child and I’ve just started again. I’m working with Alfred’s 1B for children and without a teacher. (I live in Italy and they do everything differently here and I’d have to do everything in Italian and I’m already confused enough.)

Anyway, on page 8, it says: “The SHARP SIGN before a note means play the next key to the right, whether BLACK or WHITE.” (their caps)

Then, on page 15, it says: “The FLAT SIGN before a note means play the next key to the LEFT, whether BLACK or WHITE.” (still their caps)

I know what sharps and flats are. Or at least I thought I did. But does what they say in Alfred's mean that F natural can also be called E sharp? And that B natural can also be called C flat?

I always thought that sharps and flats were always black keys.

Can someone explain this to me the way they would to a child?

Thanks!

Send lawyers, guns and money...
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, F natural can also be called E sharp. And B natural can also be called C flat. Which name and notation is used depends on musical context. For example when you write out the notes of a scale each "letter" has to appear exactly once. So for example in the scale for F# major:

F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

If you write these on a staff, you will see it makes a series of notes which rise steadily, one line or space at a time. If you used F instead of E#, there would be a hiccup in the list of letter names and also in how it appears on the staff:

F# G# A# B C# D# F F#

You would also have a problem writing the key signature on the staff because you would somehow have to show that F could be either sharp or natural.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
F
f3r Offline
F
Originally Posted by RosaBeatrice
Anyway, on page 8, it says: “The SHARP SIGN before a note means play the next key to the right, whether BLACK or WHITE.” (their caps)

Then, on page 15, it says: “The FLAT SIGN before a note means play the next key to the LEFT, whether BLACK or WHITE.” (still their caps)

I know what sharps and flats are. Or at least I thought I did. But does what they say in Alfred's mean that F natural can also be called E sharp? And that B natural can also be called C flat?

Yes, this is correct and you understood clearly.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Actually, in real music tones, F natural is different from E sharp. Its just that in modern piano tuning, the tuning is modified so they are the "same", but in actuality, there is a slight difference. Here is a definition of it, known as the "Pythagorean Comma" :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma

Not trying here to confuse a beginner, because in modern piano, the two notes sound the same, and the names can be interchanged.

But in truth, they are different notes and will sound different if you have a piano tuned to a temperament that includes the difference. (Higher-end digitals can do this).

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
They are enharmonic note spellings (kind of like homophones, sound the same but spelled differently). I always teach them as half steps, once my students know the difference between a half and a whole step. As repertoire gets more advanced you will see double sharps or double flats which raise or lower a whole step. The proper notation aligns to what key you are in and accidentals (notes not normally occurring in the scale) get marked accordingly. Color of the key doesn't matter.

Last edited by neciebugs; 11/27/15 03:18 PM.

Denise
2005 Schulze Pollmann 126/e Classico Upright (Maple with Sunburst inlay)
1965 Baldwin Model L 6'3" Grand (Satin Black)
2020 Yamaha Clavinova CLP 735
D
D
I saw this on a tshirt years back:

Musician's Theory of Relativity:
E = Fb

Full-time private voice teacher.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by DivaDiDonato

E = Fb

Shouldn't it be: E ≠ Fb unless you are equally tempered? wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by DivaDiDonato

E = Fb

Shouldn't it be: E ≠ Fb unless you are equally tempered? wink

laugh

D
D
Well played, sir.

Full-time private voice teacher.
OP Offline
Thank you all! I'm going to print out your answers so I can read them carefully, over and over again.

I'm really grateful because I have no one else to ask these things--I mean I have lots of other questions but I'm such a beginner that I not only can't figure out the answers for myself, but I can't even figure out the questions! smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print forum posts?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, if you are going to print something out, print this out ...

“The SHARP SIGN before a note means play the next key to the right, whether BLACK or WHITE.”

“The FLAT SIGN before a note means play the next key to the LEFT, whether BLACK or WHITE.”

That is as clear as it can be. Many of the responses you got made it more complicated and muddy.

Learning to play piano is hard enough, do not look for ways to make it even harder.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dmd
Well, if you are going to print something out, print this out ...

“The SHARP SIGN before a note means play the next key to the right, whether BLACK or WHITE.”

“The FLAT SIGN before a note means play the next key to the LEFT, whether BLACK or WHITE.”

That is as clear as it can be. Many of the responses you got made it more complicated and muddy.

Learning to play piano is hard enough, do not look for ways to make it even harder.

+1.

That tells you (correctly, for playing piano at any level) that E# = F, Fb = E, B#=C, Cb = B.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I see your point.

However, I have had several students become very interested in the concept of the Pythagorean Comma, who found it fascinating to learn of such things, which, hopefully, fed their interest in piano and music.

Its similar to studying the history of music, biographies of composers, the mechanics of how pianos work, (I have a manufacturer's model of a grand piano's action in my studio, such as piano dealers have; Everyone finds it interesting, and it can be helpful to some when teaching about the sustain pedal).

All of which could be labeled "unnecessary information" to learning to play, yes...but interesting and ultimately helpful in the journey for some, certainly...and can be passed on by for others without harm, of course.

I like to throw out tidbits of information about music (history, the above, etc) to students.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting, yes. Useful, no, not really. Equal temperament is the standard now and talking about Pythagorean tuning is as useful as talking about neumes in musical notation.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One of the biggest problems piano teachers have is keeping students interested once the "honeymoon period" is over.

If something keeps the interest going, it is good, and thus useful.

Which is why good teachers add things to the teaching of the nuts and bolts of piano (i.e. theory, technique, repertoire, etc).

They add interesting items of piano-related information...music history, how the piano works, etc. (I have a dealer's model of a grand piano action in my studio for that purpose...just about everyone is interested in it).

I did not say the knowledge of the Pythagorean comma was all that useful for a beginner...I said it has proven helpful for maintaining interest for some people, (my students) which is why I mentioned it here in passing.

Have a nice day, all.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Qazsedcft, in the land of Copernic. I love that photo, here's one for you. [Linked Image]

By the way, I think that talking about neumes would get enthusiasm from may people; including kids.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
In discussions about a physical piano keyboard, the black keys will often be referred to as the sharps but musically, sharps and flats can be on some white keys as has been discussed.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by rocket88

. . .
I did not say the knowledge of the Pythagorean comma was all that useful for a beginner...I said it has proven helpful for maintaining interest for some people, (my students) which is why I mentioned it here in passing.

Have a nice day, all.

Agreed! After "circle of fifths" is understood, "Pythagorean comma" makes sense, and for anyone with a mathematical mind, might be an "Aha!" moment.

And for singers and string players, the difference between "E#" and "F" becomes significant earlier in their studies. But for a piano beginner, I fear it spreads more confusion than it does interest.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Are you still there, Rosa Beatrice? Buona sera! A question: have you considered enrolling in a beginner-level solfeggio class in your town in Italy. You oughtn't shy away from using do-ré-mi names for notes, it isn't difficult and in a setting like that you would very quickly get used to them and soon it will be second nature. I assure you that you would find it very fruitful, not to mention enjoyable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission