2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#99546 05/24/08 03:48 PM
Aneita Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my first time to post anything anywhere, so please forgive me if I don't know what I'm doing! I hope someone can help me. I need to sell my Grotrian-Steinweg ASAP but have no clue as to how to price it. I'm afraid of going too high or low.

It is, as best as I could measure it's length with a tape, 6'7" long, is ebony with ivory keys. The number is 88186. The original key was stolen but I still have all the paperwork that came with it. If any of you can give me some price range ideas it would be greatly appreciated! I want to get this advertised on here quickly.

It was my birthday present from my parents in Feb. of 1964 and was shipped over from Germany (new). My parents I'm afraid had higher hopes than myself for my future on the piano!

I live in the middle of nowhere in central NY state and was lucky to even get a tuner to come out here at all, but one came yesterday and tuned it and said the sound board was in good shape but it needed some work on the hammers, etc. because of it's age. He didn't seem to be too up on this brand of piano and said that Steinways were better.

I really feel guilty for having such a wonderful instrument and never playing it. It's been years since I've played it much at all, maybe twice a year probably. Arthritis has gotten really bad and now my playing is even worse than it originally was. Hopefully it will get a better home where it will be appreciated.

Thank you so much! - Aneita

Aneita
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your piano was built in 1961. There is a lot of buzz about Grotrian these days due to Kinze's book Grand Obsession. Advertise it here on this forum. Classified ad or in Manhattan papers.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What a birthday present!

Craigen is right about advertising it more broadly. You'll need to get some visibility in NY city papers and on the web. Since people will have to come to you to try it out, you might want to invest a small amount in regulating and voicing to make the piano play to its potential. I'm not a tech, so seek a real professional's help with this. I'll guess that if the piano has not been played much that the hammers may need to voicing and shaping, but perhaps not replacing.

Larry Fine's "Piano Book" has a rough depreciation guideline that might help you to get a ballpark notion of the piano's worth.

He didn't seem to be too up on this brand of piano and said that Steinways were better.
Of same vintage and condition?

Norbert frown

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
contact the grotrian company at www.grotrian.de, and ask them to recommend a technician in your area to come inspect it and prep it for sale.

there is a grotrian dealer in upstate new york they can refer you to, and he will know of a good technician, no doubt.

you can also ask grotrian what your piano sells for now, then consult larry fine's "the piano book." there is a chart giving an approximation for what today's private selling price would be, based on depreciation of today's "street price."

also, the new york grotrian dealer can tell you what he usually sells his pianos for that are the closest to that model, which i believe today is the "charis."

iirr, the dealer closest to you is in peekskill, but i won't swear to it. ask grotrian.

glad to hear anecdotally that "grand obsession" is causing something of a buzz for grotrian. some of us strongly disagree that steinway is a better piano.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Aneita Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you so much all of you! A few years ago I had gone to the Grotrian website and emailed them to find out the insurance value of the piano, and they replied to contact a technician who would then tell me the value. Unfortunately, I could not find a 'technician'.

The piano tuner I called was referred by the local school and was the best I could do. He didn't say what he was comparing it to as far as age or anything Norbert. Simply said I should call a music store in Syracuse to see if they would sell it on consignment. I am over an hour either way from Syracuse and Rochester. I looked in the yellow pages and found no Grotrian Steinweg dealers anywhere near me. However, I just went to their website and it has since changed since my last visit, it now has a form to submit with which they will tell you their nearest dealer.

Also I looked up the serial number as even though I was sure Craigen was right, I just couldn't believe it! I had always thought that it was built within 6 mos. prior to my recieving it! That is what the store told my parents, they had to order it 6 months in advance so it could be built and shipped! I had no idea it was 3 years old when I got it! The store it was purchased from is long out of business and was way over in Buffalo.

I went online and put a hold on Larry Fine's book to be sent to my local library so I can look it up in there also. But thank you so much Craigen for letting me know it's true age! Now my information will be more accurate when talking to people about it. I had planned on trying to sell it on this website and also Craigslist. I will check into the NY city papers also, but don't know if anyone will want to drive 5 hours to come look at it.

If there is a dealer somewhere nearby I will ask about a tech to get a price on doing the work on it you mentioned Piano Dad and Pique. However, to tell the truth the main reason I need to sell it just now is finances, and I have nothing extra to spend on anything at this point. But at least the tuner was reasonable at $65., even if he wasn't very helpful with an estimated value.

I'm so glad I posted this on here, you have all been so helpful! Thank you again, and I will let you know how it goes! - Aneita

Aneita
He didn't seem to be too up on this brand of piano and said that Steinways were better.
Ignorant people often have very strong opinions. :p

If you can sell it privately you can do a lot better than if you sell it on consignment. You can research some of the opinions about consignment sales using the search function.

Lastly, if you want to move it ASAP you'll obviously have to accept a lower price than if you have more time.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I would suggest that you call Carl Diemier (Sp?) at Beethoven piano in NYC. Beethoven sells new and used Grotrian and other high end piano. Carl is the owner and he should be able to give you some idea what it is worth and he may even offer to buy it from you. I have put his web site below.

By all means contact all other dealers you can as well.

Of note, I have no affiliation with Beethoven piano or any other piano dealer, I am just trying to help.

http://beethovenpianos.com/catalog.php?vg=G

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
Chris,the owner of Piano Clearinghouse of Westchester (who posts here as Beacon Chris)is the authorized Grotrian dealer in your area. He can be reached at: 914-788-8090.
He's a great guy and should be able to help.
best of luck,
Cathy

Cathy Harl - former piano dealer and tech.
Currently making and designing jewelry.
Aneita Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all! It is so kind of you to be so helpful, and I will look into all this! Oh, and Grotrian already sent me an email response simply saying that in order to find a local dealer I would have to write or call them in Germany. This forum was much more help!
Thanks again!

Aneita
Callling a dealer - *any* dealer - can and often gives people a lopsided anwer when it comes to used piano prices.

Sometimes a dealer scouts out if he can get the piano himself for next to nothing - in such case he tends to lowball the piano.

Or he may sense a possible competitor coming from a private used sale - in this case he puts the price right into the stratosphere.

That's why one needs to get one's information always from a variety of sources.

Best of luck - yours could be a great piano for someone to find....

Norbert thumb

D
D
Hi there,

just wondering what happened to this Grotrian-Steinweg? I'm in London with one I'm considering selling and came across this old post. Cheers.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Seems to be quite a day for digging up old threads.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Hi Dragonladygaye, your piano sounds as if it might be precisely what I am looking for. Please send me full details and contact details for your technician.

Last edited by Withindale; 11/28/15 07:28 AM. Reason: clarification; thanks Philip!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
It sounds precisely what I am looking for. Please send me full details and contact details for your technician.

A joke?

Perhaps it has been sold in the past 7 1/2 years.

Also at 3 posts in almost 8 years the OP might not respond.

Last edited by PhilipInChina; 11/28/15 07:17 AM.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Always interesting to see posts of mine pop up from antiquity. grin

S
S
6'7 Grotrian for a birthday present... What a lucky boy/girl.

L
L
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
It sounds precisely what I am looking for. Please send me full details and contact details for your technician.

A joke?

Withindale isn't asking about the original poster. He is asking Dragonladygaye about her piano. She just posted this morning, reviving this thread.

1986 Kawai GE-2 (5'7")
Casio PX-100 DP

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by look_alive
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina

A joke?

Withindale isn't asking about the original poster. He is asking Dragonladygaye about her piano. She just posted this morning, reviving this thread.

Yes. Btw, DragonLadyGaye has an email listed on her profile. WithinDale might want to try that route if he doesn't hear back via PM.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Always interesting to see posts of mine pop up from antiquity. grin

I'm sometimes intrigued by these blasts from the past, especially when they feature long-time posters, but this one made my day:

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Ignorant people often have very strong opinions. :p

That truth can be so concise, and simultaneously humorous, is amazing!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission