2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everybody,

there is a new video on Youtube with me playing the Ballade from op. 118 by Brahms – listen, if you want, and let me know your impressions! Many thanks and best regards

Felix

https://youtu.be/z3kw-vhskSM

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Felix:

I enjoyed this performance - as I do many of your performances - very much. For my taste it could have a little more drive in spots, more of the "energico" Brahms indicates. Perhaps this could be achieved through a greater dynamic range. While measure 53 does indicate "espress." I didn't feel I understood why you held the tempo back at this particular spot.

That said, this is a nice, crisp performance, somewhat belied by your physical approach at the piano.

Many thanks for sharing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
I
I think you can have more flare with this. I think of this piece as more stormy and more temperamental. I would also make the top note of the melody sing more.

You do have a secure and well played performance however.

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi BruceD

Thanks a lot for all your remarks! The question how to express the "energico" is crucial, indeed. There are pianists who play this piece in about 3:30, and such an approach can sound very convincingly. I hear something more.... let's say: ponderous, I don't imagine a nimble creature moving ahead here. But maybe a greater dynamic range can help? I'll have to try this!

About the "espressivo" at bar 53: For me this is the "secret heart" of this piece, sort of "dream time" – the main theme coming back in a very "exotic" key (D sharp minor), transformed by the "floating" B Minor of the "celestial" middle section. That's why I need so many time there. Maybe it's not convincing enough what I do? This reminds me of a very good teacher I had. Sometimes he told me: "I could not understand what you want to say in this section!" Then I tried to explain and to play again in order to clarify and underline what I mean, and very often he answered: "NOW I understood, but now you also played differently, because you knew you have to convince me!"

About my "physical approach": I've got used to sit on a chair with a backrest at home. maybe the optical effect is a little disturbing when I play dramatic music?

Whatever: thanks a lot for your interest and your constructive criticism!

With best regards

Felix

Last edited by Tony007; 11/30/15 02:55 AM.
T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Incongruous
I think you can have more flare with this. I think of this piece as more stormy and more temperamental.

Hi Incongruous!

Thanks a lot for your interesting reaction! Yes, it is possible to have a much more "stormy" idea of this piece. But I imagine some nordic giant like Fafner or Fasolt ponderously stepping ahead somewhere on a snowy plain. Although living in Vienna and loving this city very much, Brahms still was a "nordic" man, remembering many sagas from that sphere....

Best regards

Felix

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
It should dance

Poetry is rhythm
T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by phantomFive
It should dance

Interesting point of view.... Brahms wrote lots of "dancing" music, yes, but I don't think this gloomy ballad is part of it....

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Tony007
Originally Posted by phantomFive
It should dance

Interesting point of view.... Brahms wrote lots of "dancing" music, yes, but I don't think this gloomy ballad is part of it....

Actually, I've never thought of this Ballade as being "gloomy." Mysterious, perhaps, but not gloomy. smile

Your rendition is well-thought-out and secure.

I want to commend you particularly for the way you handle the transitions, as well as the shaping of the melodic line and overall feeling and flow of the middle section. Beautiful playing!!

I feel your initial statement of the opening theme seems a bit too restrained compared to the more energetic way you play it when it returns after middle section.

I always enjoy your recordings, Felix !!! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
You have the same problem as I do with your thighs nestling up against the bottom of the piano.. I notice it often with older instruments and not so much with newer ones, but your piano looks like a modern instrument.

Put me also in the camp that the opening feels slightly labored and emotionally disengaged. After that point it comes to life quite nicely.

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Carey
I feel your initial statement of the opening theme seems a bit too restrained compared to the more energetic way you play it when it returns after middle section.

Thank you very much, Carey, for your benevolent words about my Brahms! I'm glad and proud you like my recordings and are such a faithful listener!

It was my intention to play the initial statement of the opening theme in a rather restrained way and to add much more energy when it comes back – maybe I exaggerated? I'll have to think about it and go on trying....

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
You have the same problem as I do with your thighs nestling up against the bottom of the piano.. I notice it often with older instruments and not so much with newer ones, but your piano looks like a modern instrument

Actually I don't see it as a problem smile I feel quite cosy at the piano....

About the "shlightly labored and emotionally disengaged" opening: As I wrote to Carey, it was my intention to make the piece move more and more after a ponderous first statement. But of course the beginning shouldn't sound "emotionally disengaged".... Anyway: Thank you, jeffreyjones, for listening and your interesting remarks!

Last edited by Tony007; 12/12/15 04:21 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission