2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
OP Offline
I
Title says it.
I am curious. What are your thoughts when you post recordings? What do you expect?
Do you ever feel nervous on what people might say?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No, because I haven't. I really should, and should I, I should expect people to hate my Chopin playing--they always do, should I post Chopin, which I shouldn't. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I feel nervous that no one will say anything! I am happy when people tell me I suck and offer suggestions on how to suck less.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
I feel nervous that no one will say anything! I am happy when people tell me I suck and offer suggestions on how to suck less.

I am afraid of this, considering the only thing I have recorded are of an incredibly obscure piece.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Well, if "I" posted a tune in the Pianist Corner I'd feel justifiably incongruous ... even a Beethoven tune. grin

You guys are pretty good at this stuff. I'm still trying to decide if I'd live long enough to start learning to sight read.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Several years ago I posted my recording of Chopin's 'Revolutionary'. If it was up to speed, it was not without several major bloopers. (It really is a hard thing to pull off.)

Some of the younger members here have posted some awesomely wonderful videos, so I sit back and enjoy their talent. I NEVER give any technical advice on this board.

These days I concentrate more on organ and church music.

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not really. I don't claim to be incredible or anything, and I haven't been doing as much with the piano recently, anyway. It is what it is, and I'm okay with whatever random people have to say about my playing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, and consequently I haven't posted a recording here. But I did an impromptu recording yesterday evening of my practice of Pathetique 2nd movement (cold, entirely unplanned, on my phone, and very clunky) and posted it on Facebook. And let my friends watch. And the world didn't end! And no-one was even mean! So perhaps I'll get some decent recording system and post a proper tune on here one day soon, and see if the world keeps turning, I expect it will :-)

PS here's the link https://www.facebook.com/cathryn999/videos/10153737493557370/?pnref=story <--look, I even made it public!

PS found the process of video recording really useful to identify technique problems, particularly with finger tension and curling of my pinkie - curiously something my teacher hadn't pointed out.

Last edited by cathryn999; 11/28/15 09:40 PM.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I'm a little surprised anyone would ask - because I'm so self-conscious about my playing that it would never occur to me NOT to be. Posting as part of e-citals made it much easier. I haven't got past the hurdle of posting a stand-alone yet, although I think about doing that sometimes.

One thing that makes it good here is that the pianists who do post have a very wide range of ability (and recording situations and equipment), so there is no need to measure up to some impossible standard. And also, there is a certain randomness in how the responses go - you never know who will even listen, or feel like saying anything.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Self conscious? No. Defensive? Yes. Vulnerable? Yes.

I post recordings in Members Recordings infrequently and very, very cautiously because it feels like I'm putting a target on my back. Many members welcome recordings, appreciate the effort and gently comment on the music. Unfortunately, there are some here in PC who see it as an opportunity to be cruel. This same undercurrent runs through Pianist's Corner too and consequently, I post cautiously here as well.

Adult Beginners Forum is much more civil but the topics there generally don't interest me and I have never posted a recording there.

Best regards,

Deborah
Originally Posted by gooddog
Self conscious? No. Defensive? Yes. Vulnerable? Yes.

I post recordings in Members Recordings infrequently and very, very cautiously because it feels like I'm putting a target on my back. Many members welcome recordings, appreciate the effort and gently comment on the music. Unfortunately, there are some here in PC who see it as an opportunity to be cruel. This same undercurrent runs through Pianist's Corner too and consequently, I post cautiously here as well.

Adult Beginners Forum is much more civil but the topics there generally don't interest me and I have never posted a recording there.

I'd like there to be some kind of a checkmark ranging from something like "harsh criticism welcome" to "some friendly input required" to "only praises allowed, please". My choice will sure be the last one grin

Back to the question, I posted once, plan to do it more, and sure I feel nervous (yet).

Last edited by Andrei Kuznetsov; 11/28/15 11:46 PM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I never dare posting anything under the "Members recordings". The level there is way beyond my own. But I regularly participate in the ABF quarterly recitals where all skill levels are accepted. I have also made contributions to some themed recitals where many of the participants are really good,

All this said, I think that making recordings is very useful as an aid in the practice process. But these recordings are only for my own use.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
But I regularly participate in the ABF quarterly recitals where all skill levels are accepted. I have also made contributions to some themed recitals where many of the participants are really good,

Like Gandalf, I participate in the quarterly ABF recitals. They are very welcoming. You will get polite and supportive comments - don't expect in-depth critiques. It's a wonderful training ground for learning to record and overcoming fear of recording.

They are held every 3 months - the next is in February.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I never dare posting anything under the "Members recordings". The level there is way beyond my own.

Oh, come on now - the bar isn't really that high, even if there are a few very high level "stars" that contribute sometimes. Some of the uploads I've enjoyed the most, or found most interesting, have been relatively modest in the technical area. I'd encourage you (and anyone else who might feel intimidated by the more high-powered uploads) to remember that most of us here are also amateurs who empathize with other amateurs.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Sam S
But I regularly participate in the ABF quarterly recitals where all skill levels are accepted. I have also made contributions to some themed recitals where many of the participants are really good,

Like Gandalf, I participate in the quarterly ABF recitals. They are very welcoming. You will get polite and supportive comments - don't expect in-depth critiques. It's a wonderful training ground for learning to record and overcoming fear of recording.

They are held every 3 months - the next is in February.

Sam

+1. the ABF recitals are very welcoming and the listeners/commenters are encouraging and supportive. Great place to share music.

As for themed recitals, I participate in the ABF ones. And actually participated once on this board when there was recital for Chopin's Mazurkas. The comments were very kind despite my being far below the skill level of most participants, and my recording being on the worst sounding digital piano ever. I tossed around the idea of signing up for the Variations recital here on PC for March but likely won't because of my lack of skill, lack of time to learn a piece(3 months), an ABF Baroque recital around the same time, and, well there is just something different for me about posting here compared to ABF.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Another good thing about the ABF quarterly recitals is the high level of participation. There will be 50 to 60 performers, and they probably all listen to your performance. About half of them will comment on every piece. And there is another one every 3 months...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
When comes to themed recitals I don't really think it matters much if they are run under this forum or the ABF forum. Currently there is an upcoming Baroque recital under ABF and a "Theme with Variations" recital under this forum. It is still possible to submit pieces for both recitals and the submission deadline for both are some time in March - April next year. Really something to consider for those of you being sceptic to "members recordings".
Occasionally some very fine recordings of advanced pieces are presented during the quarterly ABF recital. Generally I think that they are welcomed by the ABF community.
If you ask for critical comments, you are likely to get some. Mostly I think feedback is positive and both forums seem friendly and supportive

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I have a number of pieces I want to record and post here (some technically challenging, some not), but it takes time to get them to a level where I feel prepared to play them for an audience lol. The latter is a skill I am not very good at.

I should add:
The reason I don't feel nervous is because I am a work in progress, and I expect people to accept me that way. (For people who don't accept me that way: no big deal, I already know I'm not as good as Horowitz lol).

Last edited by phantomFive; 11/29/15 03:48 PM.

Poetry is rhythm
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by wr
I never dare posting anything under the "Members recordings". The level there is way beyond my own.

Oh, come on now - the bar isn't really that high, even if there are a few very high level "stars" that contribute sometimes. Some of the uploads I've enjoyed the most, or found most interesting, have been relatively modest in the technical area. I'd encourage you (and anyone else who might feel intimidated by the more high-powered uploads) to remember that most of us here are also amateurs who empathize with other amateurs.

Thanks for this post. I've heard Ganddalf's playing and think it would fit very well among the members' recordings.

I've only posted there once--it does take a bit of bravery, and also I don't often take the time and trouble of recording. I didn't post in ABF because I really did want some feedback beyond pats on the back. Most responders were helpful and constructive.

I do think with more obscure pieces you might not get a lot of response. I guess I'm part of this problem, as I only tend to comment on pieces that I know. When I've played a piece myself, I'm more likely to feel I have something to contribute.

1989 Baldwin R
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yeah, sometimes - but usually it's of live performances, which means someone has suffered through them already .. smile that makes it better for some reason.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission