2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by cathryn999
Jealous much?! Congratulations and may you have many happy years of sweet tunes.

Thank you much!!

Denise
2005 Schulze Pollmann 126/e Classico Upright (Maple with Sunburst inlay)
1965 Baldwin Model L 6'3" Grand (Satin Black)
2020 Yamaha Clavinova CLP 735
T
T
First, congrats on the beautiful piano! I really prefer the simple elegance of the older pianos without all of the ornate stuff on newer pianos, and this is a classic example.

It's hard to get a sense of the dimensions of your space, but I would probably put the Baldwin by the staircase, positioned so that you're facing the living room when seated at the bench.

Schimmel I-208
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by neciebugs

I seem to remember Del when I was buying my piano 10 years ago! I haven't seen posts from him on this quest. I remember him being quite knowledgeable. :-)

"Quite knowledgeable" would be a giant understatement! Del is at the peak of his craft. Super knowledgeable. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Denise!

I'm glad you're able to keep both pianos. Once I was able to have a teaching studio with two pianos, I'll never go back to teaching on one piano-- too ergonomically uncomfortable for long periods of time...

I hope the "new" one works out well for you.
Unfortunately, Del doesn't post here near as often as in the past. A good chunk of the tech community seems to have moved on from here, unfortunately.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by tludwig
First, congrats on the beautiful piano! I really prefer the simple elegance of the older pianos without all of the ornate stuff on newer pianos, and this is a classic example.

It's hard to get a sense of the dimensions of your space, but I would probably put the Baldwin by the staircase, positioned so that you're facing the living room when seated at the bench.

That's kind of what i thought, so that the curve will go against the staircase.... but then when it is open sound will be "thrown" upstairs... Jason suggested in the corner where the cinnamon broom is. I don't want to move the upright. I am all about aesthetics... and it is is set evenly between the windows. Like I said, good thing it will be on felt castors!!

[Linked Image]

Denise
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ando

I seem to remember Del when I was buying my piano 10 years ago! I haven't seen posts from him on this quest. I remember him being quite knowledgeable. :-)

"Quite knowledgeable" would be a giant understatement! Del is at the peak of his craft. Super knowledgeable. smile

Indeed!!

Denise
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Congratulations, Denise!

I'm glad you're able to keep both pianos. Once I was able to have a teaching studio with two pianos, I'll never go back to teaching on one piano-- too ergonomically uncomfortable for long periods of time...

I hope the "new" one works out well for you.
Unfortunately, Del doesn't post here near as often as in the past. A good chunk of the tech community seems to have moved on from here, unfortunately.

I am too! I am sure I would have never recovered the value of it. Besides... it is priceless to me. I count my blessings that I even have it. It was the last "kindness" my ex husband allowed for me. We had sold our house in VA to move back to CA... and he let me use 9k of the settlement to buy a piano. We were divorced 2 years later because of a lot of reasons... part of me says get rid of it, it is the only remaining thing that ties me to him besides the kids 21, 20 and 16... but honestly... I had to go through heck and back to have this piano. It is mine. My soul is in it. I would have considered trading for the new Steinway B as the dealer offered me what i paid for it if I gave them the receipt (Which I still have), but then even with 40k cash and trade, I would have had to finance 30k.

The Baldwin L... cash and paid for, still ample money in the bank. I have two noteworthy pianos... life is good!!!! maybe I will get over my performance anxiety and start playing duets for two pianos with my s/o!! He is fantastic. Check him out... Jason-Wanner.com!

thanks!

Denise
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations--it will be beautiful wherever you put it!

1989 Baldwin R
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jdw

I have to say that I've never thought Baldwin pianos are beautiful in the aesthetical sense. They look very utilitarian to me - like the Jeep of pianos. But I really like the sound! In the end, that's what you buy a piano for, so to have a piano that is exactly the sound and touch you want is a beautiful thing in itself. Congratulations Denise!

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by jdw

I have to say that I've never thought Baldwin pianos are beautiful in the aesthetical sense. They look very utilitarian to me - like the Jeep of pianos. But I really like the sound! In the end, that's what you buy a piano for, so to have a piano that is exactly the sound and touch you want is a beautiful thing in itself. Congratulations Denise!

Indeed. Classic, simple, hand rubbed black satin was my requirement for aesthetics. I have an art case upright with inlayed wood finish... A perfect balance of form and function. So together we will have LOTS of beautiful music in the house!

Denise
D
D
Originally Posted by DrewBone
Denise,

[hands thrust up in the air] Saweeeeeeet!!!

So when's delivery??!! My Yamaha was delivered from NY to NC and arrived at 12:45am on a Saturday morning, but I didn't care! After it was setup and placed to my liking, I then played it until a little after 4am :^)

Best wishes with it, and post up lots of pictures!

Regards,
Andy

Holy carp! That's a late delivery!! They were going to try to get it delivered today, but I didn't think it would work... They thought it might! HAHA!! That's ok, we spent the day decorating for Christmas! It comes Monday!! Jason is home, and I figured that would be fine. But he told me I had to take a day off of work. He said, you got yourself a grand, you should be here when it gets here. I felt bad telling my principal that I wasn't going to be in Monday, but you know!! PRIORITIES!! :-) The window is between 9 and 11 am. I can't wait!

I just hope I don't fall too in love with it and ignore my gorgeous upright!! We spent last night figuring out layout, and we still haven't come to consensus. I think we are going to corner it, so that while you play you have view of the upright (for duet sake). Unfortunately, although I have a great music room, there are only 2 outer walls... one wall has the grand staircase upstairs and the other is open to the living room... SO we either center it in the room, or angle it. Good thing the casters will have felt on the bottom. Still deciding on putting an area rug in before it gets here (I have hardwood floors) but, with 2 cats and a dog... hairballs and accidents tend to be on the carpeted areas.

So much planning!!

When did you get your Yam? I remember when I bought my new SP 126/E in Virginia, they said a week for delivery. The day after I bought it they called and asked if they could deliver it that evening. I was like, ummm... duh? LOL Granted the Baldwin is a 50 year old beauty and not brand spanking new, but I am even more excited!! Funny thing, it was only a few thousand more than my upright!! hehe

Excited much are you Denise?! HA!!! Your reply was full of energy, and that's great!! I hope you find your Baldwin to be everything and more :^)

I got the Yamaha this past September, and am most pleased with it. I'm looking forward to doing some interior decorating work to the piano room where it resides, which should be fun :^)

So, we'll be seeing pictures on Monday?! Yay!

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission