2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2485962 11/30/15 07:55 AM
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,i am planning to plug my dp to my laptop via midi through some USB interface,steinberg ur12 or similar, to use pianoteq.
My dp has no USB conection ,just midi out.
So what kind of wire must i use to conect it,the dp I mean , to the interface?

BTW i will use headphones 99% of time.
Is ur12 a good choice or should i take ur22 or another one?
I have already an akg701 and a headphones amplifier wich i have used almost never.

Best regards.

Last edited by Snail; 11/30/15 07:56 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
According to http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models.html the UR12 has no MIDI connection. If you use such an extern audio card, you would need a MIDI-USB cable (around 30€). The UR22 would be more convenient since it uses 1 USB port for the two functions (audio+MIDI).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok I see.Thanks.

Another doubt:
if in the future i get a new dp with no midi out,just USB, will then I need the midi-usb cable? Or it just works from midi out in the dp but not with the USB dp connection? So then what should I use?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If the digital piano support only USB, all you need is a plain USB cable (the same you use for a printer or a scanner). The MIDI-USB cable would be useless.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
No - you'll only need a USB to host cable (ie a printer cable). Fewer pianos and other keyboards are being fitted with proper (din) MIDI sockets which are being replaced by USB to host connectors. This is fine if you're connecting the piano direct to a computer, which is what most people will be doing nowadays. In this case, MIDI is carried in both directions via USB, and you won't need a converter lead.

Some people still prefer the old MIDI sockets because:

1. They can connect direct to other midi devices, such as sound modules.
2. There are no earth loop and noise problems, which can occur with MIDI over USB since the circuits are not isolated in the way traditional midi ones are.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So,if the dp has USB just a USB cable is enough to connect it to the computer with no device between them.
But if i want to use a USB sound interface... well i have been looking at pictures of the ur22 and i am confussed. If the dp has midi i get it.
But if it has just usb, would then be impossible to use the external souncard?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The type of MIDI connection you have (or use) has no influence on the type of sound interface you use. MIDI is a network of control signals and has nothing to do the audio signal.

The point that Frédéric L was making is that some adio interfaces also have MIDI to USB converters in them, so give you extra options for connecting your keyboards to the computer. So, for example, if you have a DP that does not have USB connections, you can use the audio interface to connect up MIDI and the interface will convert it to USB, without the need for an extra converter cable.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With a USB only DP, you can use the UR22 as an audio card without using the MIDI ports. Then, if you choose the UR22 now because your DP has a MIDI port, your device will still be usefull once you change your DP.

S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is good to know that i will be able to use the card wichever dp i get.

In the case of dp with only usb socket, how the devices are connected?
Dp--->soundcard----->computer?
Dp--->computer--->soundcard?

I am sorry for asking these silly questions.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you have only USB the connections are :

DP --(USB)-- computer --(USB)-- soundcard --(audio)-- speakers

Note: if your piano has a LINE-IN plug, you can connect the soundcard to the piano with an audio link to get the sound coming from the DP speakers. (The DP will be connected twice : audio and USB). It may cause some ground loops and a nasty noise, but there exists ground loop isolators.

S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well, thankyou very much, this has been really helpful. I think i will go with the ur22.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
For the price of that UR-22 ($150) you could get any one of several other models that have MIDI inputs.

Also ... keep in mind that you can get any of these interfaces at half-price on ebay.

S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I think ur22 has also midi. Anyway i will search eBay. Lets ser what it is out there.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, UR22 has MIDI to USB and, afaics, is as good a deal as you'll get for this class of exteranl audio interface.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission