2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Just wondering how prevalent the practice of marking up scores is? I'm thinking in terms of a) reminders on how to play certain sections, etc, and b) perhaps even revising chords or voicings (although I'd think this wouldn't apply to classical music).

Do you mark up scores just when you're learning to play the piece, and then erase them once you're comfortable with the piece? Or are your mark ups permanent?

Thanks.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Hi Newbert, the stuff I'm working on is quite basic but my teacher will make many notations on my music (especially when I'm not playing it well or as she expects). Also, I will usually add additional notes or comments after of my own after she leaves so that I remember exactly what I'm supposed to be working on as the week progresses.

Usually, I will leave the notations on the music in case I need to reference it again in the future I can see what problem spots or interpretations were made in the past.

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
C
C
These days, I usually photocopy the score before starting to mark anything up.

That way, once there are too many marks that have been erased or crossed-out, I can start fresh.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I make copies of my scores, and if I mark the score up, it's usually fingerings.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
To be honest I keep most of my stuff electronically and usually just make mental notes (i.e. I remember). When I want to mark something I print it out. My teacher has no qualms about using the pencil to mark fingerings, phrases, etc, directly in his books.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
The markings are dense, all in blue pencil, and stay permanently:

fingerings, voicing circled if it is not self-evident, phrasing if needed to be added or highlighted, dynamics either added or circled. For some reason, I prefer < And >, to decr. and cresc., so I add the symbols. Polyrhythms are marked with a vertical line.

Fingerings are one of my Waterloos: so after the are written in, if there is a critical fingering In a phrase that particular finger gets circled as well as a 'critical warning'.

A sea of blue

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Heaps. I have a pencil and rubber permanently on the music stand (see pic below) and use it whether I'm just starting, well on the way, or revising. For example I have a piece that's pretty well performance-ready but one dodgy phrase occassionally trips me up. So I worked through it last night and changed the fingering - using pencil markings to remind me. I mark phrases, accents, fingering, pedaling, dynamics... I never ever erase them. My music teacher also uses transparent removable sticky-note tags if there's a persistent problem.
[img:left]http://www.querenciadarwin.com/the-piano-room.html[/img]

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Do you mark up scores just when you're learning to play the piece, and then erase them once you're comfortable with the piece? Or are your mark ups permanent?

Everything that is not obvious.

Dynamics. Fingerings. Slurrings. Voicings. The way to move the hand. Pedaling. Interpretations (down to historic facts I found). Harmonic analysis. Year of composition. Tempo remarks. speed changes.

Usually I don't encircle items, unless I keep missing them over several days.

All in pencil as things may develop over time (other fingerings better fitting new interpretations, etc).

Very rarely, I go to a fresh new copy when I'm near completion

I rarely remove markings. THey all may prove important when you are trying to pick up a piece. I'm playing most from memory anyway so it does not trouble me.

>transparent removable sticky-note tags

Didn't know these exist!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I mark them up a lot. Fingerings, always. Phrase marks most of the time. Chord names some of the time. Technique tips. I (or my teacher) circle the notes I misplay more than once. Blue and pink highlighters for the dynamic markings. And on and on. They become familiar landmarks as I play through the score.

For the most part, I leave the markings there after I'm finished with the piece. They've become the "story" of how I learned the piece and I like the "lived in" appearance.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
For the most part, I leave the markings there after I'm finished with the piece. They've become the "story" of how I learned the piece and I like the "lived in" appearance.

That's a really nice way of thinking about it, I like it!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
Originally Posted by newbert
Just wondering how prevalent the practice of marking up scores is? I'm thinking in terms of a) reminders on how to play certain sections, etc, and b) perhaps even revising chords or voicings (although I'd think this wouldn't apply to classical music).

Do you mark up scores just when you're learning to play the piece, and then erase them once you're comfortable with the piece? Or are your mark ups permanent?

Thanks.

Wasnt gonna answer that on yhe grounds that it may incrininate me. But Im in good company!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I will use sticky notes for some things like the last tempo marking I played a piece at. I even have one on a current piece which says "don't look at hands so much" laugh

pencils and rubbers are at both pianos for anything that might be important, usually just fingering, but anything, even if only I know what it means is fair game. I draw the line at spoiling my lovely score with coloured markers, but when I think I really need to use one I will make a copy of the score.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Just recently, I have been writing in fingering, where it's missing to help me along. I was thinking I was playing by numbers, and wondered if this was a bad thing. It really helps me, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to do.
Shey

Adult returner
Practising Mindfulness Piano

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie

That's exactly how I feel. Between my own markings and my teacher's notations (of which there are many, in different colors no less) you can look at a piece when I've passed it and really get a sense of what it took to do it.

Although everything is in pencil, nothing is ever erased. I also keep a chronology of the different weeks I've had the piece, including starting, passing, and all weeks in-between...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Shey
Just recently, I have been writing in fingering, where it's missing to help me along. I was thinking I was playing by numbers, and wondered if this was a bad thing. It really helps me, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to do.
Shey

Hi Shey -- writing in fingerings is a very good thing to develop as a habit. For instance, if you were playing CDEFG in the key of C, you would finger this as 12345. But what if the next note is an "A" that needed to be connected as part of the same phrase of CDEFG? You have no more fingers, and you would need to move your hand to start over...a small break in sound between the G and A.
'

Once you recognize where the music is going, you would play the "G" maybe with your thumb so you could play the A with the second finger and keep the notes in the phrase together.

My teacher describes the 'right' fingering is thinking about where you are and where you need to be-- based on the music. This is not easy for me so I pencil in my plan and take it to lessons for review and discussion.

There is nothing wrong with writing each finger now-- eventually, some things will be more automatic and you can write in what you need to remember as different from what would be expected... maybe in the example, the 1 above the "G" when the next note is an "A"

Hope this wasn't too long of an answer to 'is it cheating to write them in'

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Yes, plenty --

I use MuseScore for everything, mark up the printouts, and when they get too messy to read, I transfer the markings to the computer file and print out a fresh one. I try probably way too many different fingerings, and sometimes different chords.... The other nice thing is that I can put system breaks and page breaks where they're more convenient.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I used to write in everything, make marks with highlighters, etc, until this:

When I had to play the same piece, but from a score that has no writing, such as at someone's home, it looked like a different piece of music...all the familiar visual cues were gone, other than the score itself.

Since I have experienced this, and had difficulty playing the piece, I now try to limit markings to necessary fingerings, and occasional notes that are unfamiliar (e.g. high up), and then only write those in with light pencil, so that they are there and can be found when necessary, but do not stand out like a neon sign.

And, I try to erase some of these as things progress to lessen my dependence upon them.

YMMV
laugh

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
M
M
This is typical of how much my daughters' scores are marked up.

[Linked Image]

I noticed that as my daughters got older, their teacher used less and less color in her markings.

Mom of Two Girls Who Used to Be Beginners
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Musical things I will usually remember without writing them down. So I usually only write in fingerings because I could never remember them otherwise. My scores are full of fingerings because I want to be able to start anywhere when practicing and figuring out what finger to start with at a certain place takes too much time. Also it often takes time to figure out the best fingerings and I want to save them in case I return to the piece again some day. I use rubber as much as I do pencil, both because in the early stage fingerings change and because I often write them in wrong. My ability to handle and remember numbers is so poor that as soon as I lift my hand from the keyboard to pick up the pencil, I have forgotten which fingers I used... And I often just write 123 when I was supposed to write 321 and I never even notice until my teacher points it out grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, write lots of marks and erase.
In addition to everything already listed, I sometimes put a note on the top of the page listing all the things that I just forget in the passion or chaos of a playthrough. Sometimes it helps *shrug*.

Learner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission