2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi,

I have recently bought the Kawai ES100, partly from the praise it gets on this forum, and so far I am very satisfied. Yesterday I bought a Roland UM-ONE mk2 MIDI-USB-adapter, in order to connect the piano to my computer. The manual told me to go into the "MIDI Studio" app on my Macbook, and manually drag the UM-ONE and the ES100 icons in order to connect them. Then, it told me to press "Test setup" and push one of the arrow-buttons on the screen (the one going from the computer to the keyboard). Supposedly this would make the interface light flash and a sound signal would come out of the piano.

When I followed the manual and pushed this "test" button, an extremely loud bang came out of the keyboard, loud enough to startle all people in my apartment. I was immediately scared that the speakers in my keyboard had broken due to the sudden sound, and now I am not sure on how to proceed with this. I have not found any information online about someone having a similar problem, and thus I am unsure wherein the problem lies. Could it be that the adapter malfunctioned? Can I be sure that the keyboard speakers didn't take any damage (they still sound OK to me)? This is extremely disappointing since the reason that I chose to buy the more expensive Roland adapter was that I wanted to avoid problems, and now this happens. Is anyone else using the ES100 with a macbook?
Regards

Last edited by Chess_man; 12/12/15 06:23 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Where did the loud bang come from?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Where did the loud bang come from?

The bang came from the digital piano speakers weirdly enough, and sounded pretty much like all keys pressed down at the same time on highest possible volume. Guessing something malfunctioned when the computer was supposed to send a "test signal" to the keyboard.

Last edited by Chess_man; 12/12/15 06:18 PM.
I just bougt a similar adaptor for my Roland, but not tried it yet. . .it was real cheap from China. . . Ill try mine thro equally cheap headphones now!

Hope you xort it soon. .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm. Did it sound like a piano to some extent?. Like many piano keys being struck all at once? Sometimes when midi note on messages get built up and delayed for some reason they might trigger all at once at the receiving device. I'd suggest turning the volume down on the es-100 or at least very low when hooking it up to other devices.

You'll know if your speakers got buggered if you go to play now and they fart all over the place. Distorted, rough sounding, unclear reproduction of the piano samples. If that's not happening then you're fine.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
Hmm. Did it sound like a piano to some extent?. Like many piano keys being struck all at once? Sometimes when midi note on messages get built up and delayed for some reason they might trigger all at once at the receiving device. I'd suggest turning the volume down on the es-100 or at least very low when hooking it up to other devices.

You'll know if your speakers got buggered if you go to play now and they fart all over the place. Distorted, rough sounding, unclear reproduction of the piano samples. If that's not happening then you're fine.

Yes, I think that that is an accurate way to describe it, like all the keys pressed down at the same time, even though it was super loud so kinda hard to tell. The weirdest part is that the volume on the keyboard was on like 20%, nowhere near high enough to cause that loud effect. And this is also why I am hesitant to use it more.

Thanks for the info on the speakers, then I am probably fine since I was playing more yesterday and did not really notice a difference.

Online Content
Chess_man, I'm afraid I do not have any direct experience with that particular MIDI interface (I use a Yamaha UX16 for such purposes), so am not sure what the cause may be.

Does the ES100 still sound okay?
Did you try using the connected ES100 with MIDI software on your Mac to see if the devices were communicating correctly?

I don't believe there should be any incompatibility with the ES100 and Roland MIDI device, however it may be worthwhile contacting the Kawai distributor in your region to seek assistance.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
R
Chess_man,

Does someone in the household have a Windows laptop you can try it on? Follow the Windows install procedure and then at least test that the Roland unit is not faulty.

The Roland interface works fine for me on Windows but with more lag than I would like, even with Asio4all. The Mac should be much better.

Phil

Phil
Roland FP-90 ,Kawai KX-10, Pianoteq 5.0
Roland FP-90x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission