2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I had a gentleman come and audition my piano that is for sale. He said he was a church musician and played a keyboard as a piano. He drove 475 miles with a wad of cash and his sheet music.

He inspected the piano and then began to play. It was dreadful! He played with no expression, depressing each key with the same velocity, much like one plays a harpsichord. I made no comment on his inability to throttle a piano known for its dynamic range. He passed saying that it was not "mellow" enough.

Is his playing style typical for a keyboardist new to a grand, please?

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

No. Lots of people have both digital and acoustic. A weighted velocity sensitive digital as a practice tool works fine for learning to play and transfer to acoustic. The important thing is to practice on a variety of different instruments.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
I
I
Originally Posted by Guapo Gabacho
...depressing each key with the same velocity, much like one plays a harpsichord.

Actually, to pull this off one has to practice it on a velocity-sensitive instrument. The only conclusion is that it was his style and his keyboard was rather piano-like.

1892 Bechstein III -> 2015 Yamaha U3
D
D
I'll tell you a story. Ok, two, sorry :^)

Many years ago, whilst in my young teens, I was asked by my Mother if I would like to play the piano for a number that our Church choir was performing, as the normal pianist wasn't available. I agreed.

I aquired the music and practiced it in anticipation of our very first practice session, but when I began to play the music with the choir using varying degrees of tempo and emotion, the director stopped me from playing, and my Mom interjected, informing me that I was not to deviate from a strict tempo and level of volume, in other words it was to be 1...2...3...4...rinse, lather, repeat throughout the entire piece. Okeedokie.

Later on, when I was in my early twenties, I found myself playing for another church, where I encountered the very same regimented playing style requested of me for playing hymns, but thankfully I was free to embellish the profoundly simplistic nature of the music wherever I felt necessary, which I very much enjoyed.

So I understand the seemingly unemotional playing that the OP commented on when the "church musician" came to play the piano for sale, because this is the method usually encountered when typical church hymns are performed.

Now, when "special music" such as those examples played for Holiday cantata's are performed, where there is no congregational participation, that's a different story, as both vocalist and musical accompanist are "in tune" with each other and are free to engage in as much predetermined changes in volume, tempo, and emotion as are required to recreate the original intent and mood of the music's composer. I very much enjoyed the opportunity to be involved in these instances with our senior choir. And even without such conditions when performing with the junior choir, there was just something so very special about being a part of those young 8 to 12 year old voices singing along to music, which was always quite delightful and rewarding.

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I can't speak to church music, but what I can say is that my B is my very first acoustic piano after playing for over 20 years. I will say that having it has made me a better player and playing it has been easier than playing a digital. However, since 2000, all my instruments have been weighted 88 key touch sensitive digital pianos.

When I first started playing the grand, I noticed that I played louder and harder than I really needed to, and this might have been due to the fact that digital pianos don't have the kind of dynamic range that an acoustic piano does.

After I got the B I purchased the MP11, which has some of the most sensitive digital piano action currently available. While it's a huge improvement it isn't quite the real thing. I enjoy playing both, appreciating the differences in each.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Was the prospective buyer looking at your piano (a 7' Baldwin, I assume) for their own personal piano, or as an instrument for their church? Again, I assume it was for his own personal piano.

I think the trend for most churches is going the other way, getting rid of the acoustic and going to the latest model digitals.

I've purchased 3 of my pianos from churches doing just that...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The prospect was looking for a piano to add a player to. He had no intention of playing it manually. I really took it personal that his saying the piano's tone was the problem when it did in fact sound crappy due to his playing. My technician would linger playing my piano after the tune, usually for over a hour. I asked him why and he said, "Because I do not get to play pianos this good very often".

I too bought the piano from a church that was going electronic, but they also are using midi in lieu of a "musician".

T
T
Perhaps he always plays the church keyboard on the organ setting.

That was a long way to drive!!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I know a church pianist who plays for services on a Steinway D, and who is the most sensitive, subtle, musician when playing and accompanying about town.

But for congregational hymns in church along with the pipe organ, her piano playing is (required to be) CRASH, BANG, CLUNK, CHUNK, CHING, BANG, BANG!, BANG!!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
U
U
I love that hymn!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

> CRASH, BANG, CLUNK, CHUNK, CHING, BANG, BANG!, BANG!!

.... Makes me glad I'm an apathetic agnostic.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission