2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I'm playing the minuet from Bach's French Suite BWV 814, and from my notes I see that I've started, stopped and resumed this piece 4 times now! I seem unable to commit to it, possibly because it's in a minor key and it's quite obsessive. (I just found out that it was the soundtrack for the game Tetris!)

Anyway, the first half is almost done at the not-very-fast tempo I chose (100 bpm), while the second half still needs some work. I hope to record it by the end of January.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
Well, normally I'd say I think my piece is coming along alright, but a couple weeks ago my group class teacher gave me her assessment, and it wasn't good. Her comments:

"It's not musical."
"Have you watched any YouTube videos so you know how it should sound?"
"For one thing, you need to bring out the melody in the right hand more."
"And your left hand is just ... horrific."

Needless to say it kind of bummed me out and so I set it aside for the time being. I haven't given up though. I'll probably start working on it again next year. Haha.

Needless to say any teacher who uses the word "horrific" to their student should re-think their career.

The closest thing like that my teacher ever "said" is to simply nod her head in response to my observation "that really sucked, didn't it? shocked

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I have baroque pieces assigned and been working on it for a few days. However I'm still on the fence committing to enter the recital. I'm not sure if I can record the toccata in time for the recital. It will all depends on business travel schedule. I will sign up after I was able to record. At least for now I'm enjoying the first two movements of the toccata in my sig.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, normally I'd say I think my piece is coming along alright, but a couple weeks ago my group class teacher gave me her assessment, and it wasn't good. Her comments:

"It's not musical."

Needless to say it kind of bummed me out and so I set it aside for the time being. I haven't given up though. I'll probably start working on it again next year. Haha.

Did she actually say this - or just imply it?
If she said it I would say your teacher is unnecessarily harsh and unprofessional.

1: it is her job to explain WHY it is unmusical and how to fix it
2: watching youtube is not going to help if you don't know what it is you doing 'wrong'
3: useful advice
4: not helpful - she needs to tell you exactly what is wrong

The worse my teacher ever gave me was " ... (long pause) ... the Opus 111 is SO HARD ..."

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A

"It's not musical."

Call me thin-skinned, but I prefer my criticism to be a little more constructive. The worst thing my teacher has said is something like: "That's good, but let's take a look at the left hand...". The most complimentary thing he has said is: "That's good. Ok, what's next?"

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I've changed pieces - my plan now is to do a Busoni transcription of Wachet Auf.

So if anyone else wants to try the slow movement of the Concerto after Marcello by Bach, go for it.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have not quite learned my piece yet. The right hand is fully memorized and the left is past half-way. It is a virtuoso-level piece requiring some amazing finger stretches.

In fact there are so many many fingering issues with my piece (J.S. Bach - Prelude in B minor BWV 855a - Siloti transcription) that I'm still not quite out of the woods yet because I am finding some necessary changes once I put my hands together.

The piece is tough, but rewarding. One person described it as an wonderful exercise in voicing. The historical background on the piece is also quite interesting and I'll share that if/when I'm able to put together a recording.

I hope to have mine ready by mid-March but it likely won't be as polished as I would like.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 12/29/15 04:16 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm forgetting my piece. I got a pass from my teacher several weeks ago, before signing up fot the recital, but I never recorded it; then I dropped it and now I'm not able to play it decently.
I hope to be able to resume it on time; in the meantime I started a Scarlatti sonata, but it won't be ready for the recital!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Brian, Schubertian, and ajames. Yes, she actually said those things, which I agree wasn't a very teacherly approach. That's not to say her assessment wasn't accurate, though. blush

On a happier note - I'm starting with a new teacher this week. Hopefully we'll be a good fit and then I'll have someone to help me with my Baroque piece.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

"It's not musical."

Wow, I'd be bummed too. Horrific?? I would never use such language with a student. Hopefully they actually gave you ideas on how to accomplish these things other than listening to what other pianists have done.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Thanks Brian, Schubertian, and ajames. Yes, she actually said those things, which I agree wasn't a very teacherly approach. That's not to say her assessment wasn't accurate, though. blush

On a happier note - I'm starting with a new teacher this week. Hopefully we'll be a good fit and then I'll have someone to help me with my Baroque piece.

Hah, didn't see this before I posted. Good!

I'm working on the Bach Italian Concerto. Kind of on pause over Christmas, so I need to start getting back into it. I was doing a lot of detail work. When I first learned the 1st movement, I had a lot of bad habits in with it that are now obvious coming back to it. The 3rd movement also has some, but less, so I'm focusing my attention on 1. But I'll have to get myself on a schedule to work on all 3 in order to make this in time. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I am just beginning the Sinfonia (11) now. I went through it with my teacher before the Christmas break, and she tried to talk me out of it. That is not a particularly good sign. So, I have been methodically working through hands separately. She asked me to memorise it HS, which I am finding difficult to do, since the voices move from one hand to the other. So, I fill in the gaps with the other hand. I think I will make it there with it by March, but I have a contingency piece (Prelude in E Minor) that I can submit if the Sinfonia doesn't make it.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yay! I'm so glad, hope your new teacher is nicer than your old one!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
S
S
Originally Posted by BrianDX

"It's not musical."

Needless to say any teacher who uses the word "horrific" to their student should re-think their career.

The closest thing like that my teacher ever "said" is to simply nod her head in response to my observation "that really sucked, didn't it? shocked

I would get a new teacher if mine called my playing horrific!

S
S

Should have read further before posting! Good luck with your new teacher - they can't be worse than the old one grin

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by wouter79
It has been recorded half a year ago when I subscribed, and I didn't play it since. So it's probably completely downhill now. Working on other pieces now.

You mean I could have recorded it months ago? I guess I'm an idiot - it didn't occur to me to do this.

Sam

Yes I had two pieces ready at the time and I could submit only one for the ABF recital (I think it was recital 39 so two recitals back). So I subscribed the other one for the baroque recital.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm working on the Bach Italian Concerto.

I'm really looking forward to it--I was trawling YouTube looking for something Baroque I could love and I fell in love instantly with it.

Also, I'm relieved I was a couple days late to sign up for it. The prelude I picked has been more than enough of a challenge and I think the long form of the concerto would have been too much.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Morodiene, cathryn999, Sarahlm. I appreciate the support.

My first lesson went really well. She had some nice, encouraging things to say about my playing, and she's already started helping with improving/correcting my technique. Right now I'm undecided at what point I'll bring up my baroque piece. I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I've had a couple more lessons first.

This week I received my order of Succeeding with the Master books, one of which covers the Baroque era. So I'm only now finding out about the common practice of improvising with ornaments. This will be interesting since I've never done ornaments before. Hopefully I'll be able to add in at least the most basic (easy) one somewhere in both the part A and part B repeats to add variety. It'll be written into my sheet music though. The thought of improvising is still too scary for me.

I'd love to know how you all go about choosing which ornaments to play and whether or not you add them in via improvisation.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just started on my piece last night. Hopefully it will be in recordable shape by the end of this month.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I learned my piece (Bach Invention No 1) last year and was very close to submitting into the last ABF recital. However I kept making errors during the recording and lost patience. I then decided to sign up for this recital and to begin by forgetting the piece and restart closer to the time. The forgetting part was easy now I have to try to re-motivate myself into relearning an old piece.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission