2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am learning some Bach inventions at the moment, right now it's the BWV 773 C minor.

I am just learning it by breaking it into sections, hands separate, hands together, slow tempo etc.

But knowing Bach, he probably had specific technical lessons in mind with each of the inventions, apart from learning contrapuntal playing and composition.

Is there a guide online (or elsewhere) that describes the "point" of each invention, what to focus on when practicing a specific invention?

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004, Kawai MP11 digital piano, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Each one is a different genre. Can anyone name some?

Laissez tomber les mains
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In the notes in my Inventions book it says (for the No.2 in C minor):

"A much more complex and difficult work than its predecessor. The lengthy canons and sinuous lines, very reminiscent of an Allemande, must be spun with care, while the many ornaments prove quite taxing, particularly to the left hand. In my own performance I have found inconspicuous pedaling and varied articulations helpful, though both ingredients require a great deal of contemplation. Collisions between the hands are a frequent issue, and I have indicated in several places fingerings than can help with disentangling".

This is from Schirmer's Performance edition, edited by Christopher Taylor. Hope that helps a bit, sorry I don't have a more comprehensive resource (though there are performance notes for each piece in the book).

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, whilst not specifically an "instruction guide" for the Inventions, this is a pretty good article in general on performance of baroque music:

Elements of Baroque Performance Style as Applied to JS Bach

I particularly find the discussion on scale fingering interesting: we assume scales have always been played as we play them now, but that's clearly not the case and perhaps understanding the preferred fingering of the composer might help better perform their music authentically?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Check out An Analytical Survey of the Fifteen Two-Part Inventions. It's expensive!! but very in-depth.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here is a dissertation on the two part inventions:

THE TWO-PART INVENTIONS OF J. S. BA...FORMANCE PRACTICE OF BACH AND HIS CIRCLE

It's very comprehensive. I'm still reading......

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I got my library to buy the book and read the Phd some years ago. Interestingly, neither answers the blatantly obvious question of the differing genre. Cathryn thanks for the Allemande for no. 2.

Laissez tomber les mains
A
A
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=10500.0

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by anamnesis
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=10500.0
Wow! Bernhard used to be here too I think. Many answers from him (below) but still there's more refinement that can be done. Bach was showing not just how to compose but how to compose in differing genre.
No. 1 – Vocal
No. 2 – Vocal
No. 3 – Vocal
No. 4 – Keyboard
No. 5 – Keyboard
No. 6 – Vocal & dance (Courante)
No. 7 – vocal
No. 8 – keyboard
No. 9 – vocal
No. 10 – Dance (giga) & keyboard
No. 11 – vocal & keyboard
No. 12 – Dance (giga) & keyboard
No. 13 – Vocal & keyboard
No. 14 – Dance & keyboard
No. 15 – Dance & vocal.

Thanks anamnesis. It occurs to me as I see Mayla's dots there - will they become as infamous as his posts wise?

Laissez tomber les mains
T
T
I think probably the best "guide" you could find for the Inventions would be a really fine piano instructor.

I
I
There is no right or wrong approach. The piano didn't exist in Bach's day, so don't stress out about correctness, just follow your ear. The academic approach to playing Bach on the piano is to pretend you are playing the clavichord or harpsichord which had no dynamics or pedals. This is obviously extremely childish and short sighted given that bach would certainly not do it himself. His range of dynamics and rubato when playing a keyboard instrument with dynamics, ie the organ, was incomparable and wild. Oddly enough, just like every great composer.

As far as the ourpose of the pieces, the is no technical idea behind them, they are not etudes in the Chopin sense, because that had not even been invented yet! They are mearly examples of good writing for his students, not meant to be performed at all, and certainly not keyboard exercises, but rather composition studies. And yes, they each follow a different form. Look at #2, it's easy to see it is a strict canon, for example (the LH copies the RH a bar later)
Have fun!

Last edited by sassy; 01/16/16 11:58 PM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by sassy
The academic approach to playing Bach on the piano is to pretend you are playing the clavichord or harpsichord which had no dynamics or pedals.
I would hope that is not the 'academic approach' as the clavichord, which would have been played by the majority of his students and was, according to his son, his favourite instrument, had plenty of expressive capabilities. Here's one I posted in another thread: https://soundcloud.com/budscott/wfbach-polonaise-in-e-minor

Laissez tomber les mains

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission