2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Saffet Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have made a re-recording of Chopin Etude 10-4 with video. I wanted to share with you to receive your comments about how much acceptable it is.

https://youtu.be/Nk2RB4tvWPg

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Well done. I think your pedaling choices weren't the best and you could increase your dynamic range a bit, but it is a very acceptable performance nonetheless.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi and well done, indeed. This is one of the etudes that I could never master (whereas the octaves were a piece of cake for me! grin ).

Personally, I don't mind the pedal, but I do agree with Damon on the note about your dynamic range, but I'd like to specify it a bit: I find that this etude is filled with opportunities on very strong accents and you seem 'timid' to try them out (I'm talking about the last chord/octave every 4 or so bars (don't have the score with me right now)).

Other than that, it's perfectly acceptable (acceptable for what I'm not sure, but anyhow)...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Hi and well done, indeed. This is one of the etudes that I could never master (whereas the octaves were a piece of cake for me! grin ).

Personally, I don't mind the pedal, but I do agree with Damon on the note about your dynamic range, but I'd like to specify it a bit: I find that this etude is filled with opportunities on very strong accents and you seem 'timid' to try them out (I'm talking about the last chord/octave every 4 or so bars (don't have the score with me right now)).

Other than that, it's perfectly acceptable (acceptable for what I'm not sure, but anyhow)...

Bravo. Very accomplished performance of an extremely challenging piece. You can play this!

I replied to Nikolas because I agree with him about the fourth beat accents. These clearly establish a large-scale rhythmic pattern that runs throughout the piece. Moreover, if you observe those and other indications for articulation codified in the score, you'll be able to generate much more energy, which is what this performance really needs. You have mastered the notes - a major accomplishment. So I think you have enough technical security to make this much more edgy, fiery, kinetic, etc. Now you get to do the really fun stuff!

But, as I say, excellent playing. Great form and technique!

SRF
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
nice

Poetry is rhythm
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Nice! You're doing some things very well here. The only thing I'd be comfortable saying about your performance is that I'd like you to be more lyrical with your lines. I think this will help you from clipping the end of your phrases, which happens quite a bit here. Don't be afraid to let your notes breathe, especially in the left hand. Acoustically it's natural for your bass notes to sound more muddy, so take that into consideration. I'd love to see you work on clarity in the left hand. Nice job so far!!!

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
S
Saffet Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you all for your valuable comments.
All your findings focus one particular area that is lack of musicality and lyricism. Indeed, I also noticed after I listened to this recording that I am playing so flat without dims and Crescs. Frankly, while I am playing, I feel that I doing these effects but I think it rather happens in my mind and not able to reflect to my fingers. I will listen to what I am playing more to improve this phenomenon of mine.
Why I asked whether it be "acceptable", well because I want to attend the van cliburn amateur piano competition this year and I am supposed to send my live recordings to competition jury by March 2016. If I cannot manage a better rec then I think I can send this one as well.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saffet
. . . I think it rather happens in my mind and not able to reflect to my fingers. I will listen to what I am playing more to improve this phenomenon of mine.

Join the club! If I played as well as I think I play when I'm playing, well, I'd be playing Carnegie Hall.

Good luck with the Cliburn. Doesn't look like you'll have much trouble getting in. Maybe I'll see you there, assuming I get in too.

SRF
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I think your interpretation is really quite interesting and original. It has a lot of good ideas.

If I were to suggest something, I would focus on relaxing, getting rid of all the unneeded tension in your muscles. The more you can do that, the more fluid and natural it will feel.

Poetry is rhythm
C
C
Hi, you are a very polished pianist. Congratulations on your performance. This etude is at first tough to get steady and even, and a rhythmically vibrant performance requires total involvement. It’s one of the few compositions that Chopin ever gave the designation of ‘presto’ (last movement of Sonata #2 also comes to mind and the four Scherzi) and only one of two etudes designated as such, the other being pus 25.2 in f minor. So 10.4 can pretty much go as fast as you want (if in control of course).

The ‘con fuoco’ (fiery), especially at the end, is a good clue to Chopin’s concept – remember, he was a teenager when he wrote this.
I’d like to share an anecdote I came across while researching my own book, and I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere else.
Authoress George Eliot once heard Chopin perform an etude which she described as ‘hair-raising’. She further reports that Chopin said the etude was inspired by the railroad. Although not identified specifically I believe it must have been Opus 10.4. Chopin had a talent for mimicry and this etude really does resemble the railroad – which in the late 1820’s would have been a novel sensation. A similar anecdote – Liszt was once asked by an Italian audience to improvise on the ‘railroad’. If this is the case, Chopin’s “railroad’ predates Alkan’s by a decade.

I agree with the comments about accents. They are clearly marked in most editions (I haven’t seen any of the manuscripts of this etude). They add much flavor to the piece. Here are a couple of authoritative quotes on the topic in general.

"Music is full of nuances and accents of greater or less intensity, critical for rhythmic expression - to which pupils hardly ever give any attention. They correspond to vocal accents in reading aloud, or in declamation. … Liszt was very fond of strong accents in order to mark off periods and phrases, and he talked so much about strong accentuation that one might have supposed that he would abuse it, but he never did. When he wrote to me later about my own piano method, he expressed the strongest approval of the exercises on accentuation."
WILLIAM MASON

"The dead letter of the music cannot convey the vivacity with which the gypsy virtuoso executes it, or the incessant mobility of its rhythms, the fiery eloquence of its phrases, the expressive accent of its declamation."
LISZT

see old footage of S. Richter playing this étude (it has over 700k views which is quite a number)for marked accentuation. The dynamics greatly add to the drama of the piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-NAgDpRVs

Not saying to play like him - you must be yourself.

"It was a serious moment for me when Beethoven appeared. Was I to try to follow in the footsteps of such a genius? For a while I did not know what I stood on, but finally I realized that it was best to remain true to myself and my own nature."
J. N. HUMMEL

All the best.

Technique should create itself from spirit, not mechanics.
LISZT

Charles Blanchard
Author: Positive Piano - History's Greatest Pianists On How To Succeed Wildly In Life
www.positivepiano.com
www.facebook.com/charlesblanchardpianist

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission