2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey

Impressive !! But what did those two students achieve in music after that?

Well, the boy made a concert tour of Eastern Europe when he was 13, with the Mussorgksy Pictures being his calling card for recitals. During the tour, he soloed with 3 orchestras and made a recording of Beethoven 5 with a good Polish orchestra, and a very good conductor. He had coachings for a short while with Byron Janis when he was in high school. At 17, he was admitted to the Manhattan School on a full scholarship. At 28, he is now finishing up an MA there and getting ready to do contests. He has a going career as a concert artist in a small, regional way, and also teaches. A win at a major contest would certainly give his career a much-needed boost. If that doesn't happen, he can always consider an academic career in addition to what performing he already does. He would really like to compose those tidbits they use for video games (his first calling), and he may try to do that after school is over.

His sister got bored playing the piano when she was 14 and decided to become an actress. She formed a metal rock band with friends from her performing arts high school that they call, if I may put this delicately, "Va-jay-jay for President". They do local gigs and small club dates, and she does walk-on parts on TV and stuff in commercials in Hollywood. She just got an agent for her acting, so that might pick up. She's now 26, and I always thought she was more talented than her brother.

Last edited by laguna_greg; 01/31/16 02:41 PM. Reason: thought of something
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MRC
Originally Posted by pianopap
My theory is that playing lots of different finger patterns will make it faster to learn new patterns in actual music.

The fastest way to learn new patterns in actual music is to learn the actual music.

Look at it this way. If you've just learnt to read, and want to increase your reading skills (read faster, understand better, learn new vocabulary...), what do you do? Do you put together lots of lists of random words or letters and see how fast you can rattle them off? Or do you spend your time reading loads of different books with interesting stories in them?

Yes, learning repertoire is important, but aren't scales, arpeggios, and other exercises important? To contrast your example, athletes do many exercises and skills to improve the various parts of their game. Also, every other instrumentalist (and vocalists) have exercises and etudes and warm-ups and things like that. Why do pianists get away with not doing those?

I don't think every pianist needs to learn how to do two Hanon exercises at the same time, but I think there are many Hanon exercises that are greatly beneficial to technical advancement.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by laguna_greg

Impressive !! But what did those two students achieve in music after that?
Well, the boy made a concert tour of Eastern Europe when he was 13, with the Mussorgksy Pictures being his calling card for recitals. During the tour, he soloed with 3 orchestras and made a recording of Beethoven 5 with a good Polish orchestra, and a very good conductor. He had coachings for a short while with Byron Janis when he was in high school. At 17, he was admitted to the Manhattan School on a full scholarship. At 28, he is now finishing up an MA there and getting ready to do contests. He has a going career as a concert artist in a small, regional way, and also teaches. A win at a major contest would certainly give his career a much-needed boost. If that doesn't happen, he can always consider an academic career in addition to what performing he already does.
Now that's impressive !!
He would really like to compose those tidbits they use for video games (his first calling), and he may try to do that after school is over.
He should give it a shot and get it out of his system. grin
His sister got bored playing the piano when she was 14 and decided to become an actress. She formed a metal rock band with friends from her performing arts high school that they call, if I may put this delicately, "Va-jay-jay for President". They do local gigs and small club dates, and she does walk-on parts on TV and stuff in commercials in Hollywood. She just got an agent for her acting, so that might pick up. She's now 26, and I always thought she was more talented than her brother.
Interesting !! Bored or not, I hope she is keeping up her keyboard chops because they might come in handy with her acting career. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
This is very impressive, but I can see one potential downside: The mental energy it takes to keep two patterns going at once could distract from the point of Hanon in general: developing evenness. Hanon made them mindless so you could really concentrate on evenness.

Once you play with very good evenness, then the combinations can be a good mind game.

Not speaking of Rose here; just the general concept.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

His sister got bored playing the piano when she was 14 and decided to become an actress....
Interesting !! Bored or not, I hope she is keeping up her keyboard chops because they might come in handy with her acting career. smile

No worries on that score. She doesn't need to keep anything up. Nobody taught those two how to play anything; she and her brother started playing the piano when they popped out of the womb. She gives lessons for a day job, and she plays keyboards in her band. But she also plays all 5 Beethoven concerti too, and could before she was 15. That's not going away anytime soon.

Online Content

His sister got bored playing the piano when she was 14 and decided to become an actress....

No worries on that score. She doesn't need to keep anything up. Nobody taught those two how to play anything; she and her brother started playing the piano when they popped out of the womb. She gives lessons for a day job, and she plays keyboards in her band. But she also plays all 5 Beethoven concerti too, and could before she was 15. That's not going away anytime soon.

Wow !!! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Yes, learning repertoire is important, but aren't scales, arpeggios, and other exercises important? To contrast your example, athletes do many exercises and skills to improve the various parts of their game. Also, every other instrumentalist (and vocalists) have exercises and etudes and warm-ups and things like that. Why do pianists get away with not doing those?

I don't think every pianist needs to learn how to do two Hanon exercises at the same time, but I think there are many Hanon exercises that are greatly beneficial to technical advancement.

Well, not really. Or at least I haven't found this to be true.

These technical exercises are used primarily to acquire skills. Once you have them, it's not necessary to continue to labor over the need to acquire them.

I myself do not find exercises like Hanon, and a good portion of the Czerny output for example, to be of great benefit either to myself or my students, as the textures they focus on do not reflect much of anything you will find in the literature. The ones that do can be useful at a certain point. But once you can do them, I've found it's much more useful to perfect their execution in passagework that you'll actually play. The same thing goes of scales and chord textures. If you don't know scales, you have learn them. If you can't play scales hands together, then you must learn how. But once you do, and can, there's no need to go over old territory perpetually. to the contrary, you really need to get on with learning those textures in context because they are much harder than a straight scale or an A-flat long broken chord.

As far as warming up, pianists and most instrumentalists don't need to "warm up" for the same reasons as athletes and singers do. We need to warm up slightly to bring the central nervous system into a state of heightened arousal and neuromotor efficiency, and increase activation and firing in the motor units in the muscles. That's all.

Singers and athletes have to have that too, but they also require a metabolic change in the cardiovascular system to increase blood flow to the limbs about to do work. The vocal folds, for example, need to be suffused with fresh blood in order to phonate properly in every register. Otherwise they don't work. Pianists don't need that.

MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As far as warming up, pianists and most instrumentalists don't need to "warm up" for the same reasons as athletes and singers do. We need to warm up slightly to bring the central nervous system into a state of heightened arousal and neuromotor efficiency, and increase activation and firing in the motor units in the muscles. That's all.

I agree. My "warming up" consists of no more than this: in the morning, I just make sure that the first few minutes at the piano are not too taxing: maybe some relaxed improvisation or more or less anything played slowly, with calm concentration and a lot of attention to muscular sensations (not just in the hands and arms, but in the whole body).

As for singers, I have worked with many first-rate opera singers who didn't warm up at all. This is specially common among the lower registers (bass or contralto), where the spoken voice can be very near to the sung voice in tone colour and pitch.

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianopap
So we have two people so far who think that her learning violin would be good, and nobody has said that it's a bad idea. The reason why I was unsure was because I feel that she's really good at the piano, and that it may be better to be an expert at one instrument than to be just decent at two instruments. If she starts learning violin, she'll spend a bit less time at the piano.

Learning a non-fretted string instrument is never a bad idea! Have you, by any chance, tested Rose for absolute pitch (aka perfect pitch)? It's not a huge deal if she doesn't have it. However, (1) if she does, she will take to the violin like a duck to water and (2) if she doesn't, the violin will really help her ear to develop fine pitch sensitivity and, in either case, her ability to render and shape melodic lines will be hugely enhanced, as I think someone else has already mentioned.

Don't worry about time. Rose seems to have the kind of gift that thrives on challenges and learning another instrument is a challenge that she would eat up without any adverse impact on her piano playing. Believe me.

SRF

Online Content

These technical exercises are used primarily to acquire skills. Once you have them, it's not necessary to continue to labor over the need to acquire them.

I myself do not find exercises like Hanon, and a good portion of the Czerny output for example, to be of great benefit either to myself or my students, as the textures they focus on do not reflect much of anything you will find in the literature. The ones that do can be useful at a certain point. But once you can do them, I've found it's much more useful to perfect their execution in passagework that you'll actually play. The same thing goes of scales and chord textures. If you don't know scales, you have learn them. If you can't play scales hands together, then you must learn how. But once you do, and can, there's no need to go over old territory perpetually. to the contrary, you really need to get on with learning those textures in context because they are much harder than a straight scale or an A-flat long broken chord.
For all it's worth, I wholeheartedly agree. thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

For all it's worth, I wholeheartedly agree. thumb

+1

SRF
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the input everybody. This thread has convinced me that I ought to let her try out the violin as a 2nd instrument.

Rose does not seem to have perfect pitch. Almost a year ago now, her piano teacher suggested that I see if she could develop it. So I spent a few weeks working with her on this at the piano but she didn't seem to be getting any better at it and I could tell she was getting frustrated, so we dropped it.

Any other suggestions for brain exercise at the piano for her?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're doing enough!

She's only 5!

Don't push it!!!!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You're doing enough!

She's only 5!

Don't push it!!!!
This!

MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Starting the violin will exercise her brain in all sorts of new ways.

As for perfect pitch, don't get hung up on it. Some musicians have it, some don't. It's not a necessary requirement in order to become a good, or even a great musician. What all musicians should develop is relative pitch. Singing and learning the violin will help develop this naturally: later on specific ear-training exercises can be useful.

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I hope she will always be able to treat the piano as a playground like this. I love her little comments. ("One More Time!!")

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Online Content

Originally Posted by Nikolas
You're doing enough!

She's only 5!

Don't push it!!!!
This!

Yes this - even though Rose is 6 (not 5). grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Does she have friends?
Does she engage in pretend play?
Can she navigate the physical and social demands of playing with other kids on a playground?

I'm not looking for an answer. I'm only making the point that well-adjusted kids have skills across all developmental domains.

Learner
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I would not persue absolute pitch at all. My previous teacher has it and said it's more a curse as many pianos are not tuned to absolute pitch. Particularly older instruments.

Even modern pianos vary in pitch naturally , as humidity and temperature varies.

Also the concert pitch varies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch

Baroque music at A=415, but also highly depending on the instruments.
Modern orchestras often are using A=440 up to 443.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by malkin
Does she have friends?
Does she engage in pretend play?
Can she navigate the physical and social demands of playing with other kids on a playground?

This seems pretty off topic to me, but...

Rose is the oldest of our 3 children. She has two little brothers, and she plays with them daily. Rose displays personality traits common to those which are the first born: desire to please, ambitious, etc. And our not-very-big house actually has a total of 7 people living in it at the moment because my wife's parents are living with us too. Rose is rarely lonely.

We do homeschool. This saves a lot of time for Rose. Far more can be understood by kids in much less time when they are given individualized attention. The resulting extra time can then be used for other activities - and this is mainly piano, singing, reading, and drawing for Rose right now. And yes, she also enjoys playing with her toys and pretending. Rose's main social activity with kids her age outside of the family is the local children's choir she sings in. She has several friends there.

I wish that Rose enjoyed the outdoors more than she does. I'm a former ultra-marathon runner and I wish that Rose wanted to hike trails with me. My wife & I are also really into gardening, and I'd like it if Rose were more interested in helping out in the backyard (we live in southern California so we garden year-round). But I don't push her into things like that and instead I encourage her to pursue her interests, which is mainly music (and I figure that her younger brothers may be the ones more interested in outdoor stuff).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission