2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Good evening Piano World!
I first want to say Thank you very much for all of the information I received on this Forum. The knowledge is invaluable...
So, I am looking to purchase my first grand piano. I would like to stay around $10k - up to 6 ft.
I also do not know how to play yet...so it's difficult for me to even differentiate between brands and models.
I went to 5 piano stores this week around me and now I am more confused than ever!
Store 1 - pushed a new Weber 175
Store 2 - 1st was really pushing a used 5 foot Young Chang. But I found a 1994 Baldwin R in the back that seemed nice.
Store 3 - wanted me to go over budget and get a new Hailun
Store 4 - pushed a new 5' 3"Hallet & Davis
Store 5 - walked around by myself looking at new Yamahas & Otto Altenburgs

I am also looking online at used pianos - Kawai RX2 & Yamaha C2/G3

I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed. I don't even know whether to buy new or used anymore. I just want a piano in my house so I can start learning!!! haha
It's tough because when you ask about another brand to a salesperson, they have so many answers/reasons about why that brand is not any good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JerseyJustin
It's tough because when you ask about another brand to a salesperson, they have so many answers/reasons about why that brand is not any good.

Yea, they do, don't they! smile

Not only so, but they are quite convincing as well... like they've been trained to trash the competition.

Here is my .02, for what it is worth.

First, it is nice to think about buying a brand new piano. However, at your budget limit, and your idea of what you want, going the pre-owned route might be the best approach.

Of your list, I'd take a closer look at the Baldwin R, the Kawai RX2 and the Yamaha C2/G3.

Remember, buy what appeals to you and what you can afford, keeping in mind that if you buy pre-owned, have it inspected by a qualified piano technician not associated with the seller.

Good luck and keep us informed!

And, welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you Rick. The Hailun dealer said she won't even sell Kawai anymore because the Hailuns are so superior.
The Webber dealer said all Baldwins since the 90s aren't good because they were bought by an investment company. The Hallet dealer said he wouldn't touch a weber and that yamahas are just too bright.

It seems impossible to get honest answers. No one would even say that another brand is comparable to theirs! Thank you for this forum!

I'll have the Baldwin checked by a technician.
Any advice for online shopping where I won't be able to see the piano in person? It seems like the dealer has great reviews. The pianos look great, come with a warranty and prices seem much better than up here in the northeast. I know ideally I should play it before I buy it.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Thank you Rick. The Hailun dealer said she won't even sell Kawai anymore because the Hailuns are so superior.
The Webber dealer said all Baldwins since the 90s aren't good because they were bought by an investment company. The Hallet dealer said he wouldn't touch a weber and that yamahas are just too bright.

It seems impossible to get honest answers. No one would even say that another brand is comparable to theirs! Thank you for this forum!

I'll have the Baldwin checked by a technician.
Any advice for online shopping where I won't be able to see the piano in person? It seems like the dealer has great reviews. The pianos look great, come with a warranty and prices seem much better than up here in the northeast. I know ideally I should play it before I buy it.

Really what a piano sounds like 'too bright' or 'too dark' is a matter of personal preference. When you play a Yamaha, do you like the sound? If so, it is not 'too bright' for you.

Each piano has its own 'personality', of touch and tone. I can't imagine buying a piano that my fingers haven't touched and that I have heard.

Since you are a beginner, is there a pianist that could go with you and play a couple of different styles of music? That would allow you to choose a tone that works for you.

I agree with Rickster: after you choose a piano you really like, have it checked by a technician.

You need to be patient in looking.. the right one 'for you' will come along.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello-

Do yourself a favor: Go and visit Cunningham Piano in Germantown, Pennsylvania. They will help you and I promise, you will find the Grand Piano of your dreams.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks dogperson. I didn't notice any brightness in the Yamaha I tried. I definitely have to be patient. I just feel like all I do now is research pianos. It's taking over my life! I just want to have one in my house already!
I will find a technician to check out the 94 Baldwin R. I think I liked the feel of the keys and its sound. If everything checks out, do you think $9500 is a decent price?
Barbara - I checked out cunninghams website. While they have beautiful pianos, I think they will all be outside of my $10k budget.

Originally Posted by JersyJustin
I will find a technician to check out the 94 Baldwin R. I think I liked the feel of the keys and its sound. If everything checks out, do you think $9500 is a decent price?

Well, I'm not sure if it is a good price or not, depending on condition, but it retailed new for over $30K, if that means anything.

And, there's likely room for some negotiation at the $9500 price.

Of course, when you tell the salespeople what your budget limit is, they just happen to have something in your exact price-range. smile

I'm not so sure it is a good idea to tell the salespeople what your budget limit is... but they always ask. I guess that is another sales tactic that is standard. Thing is, if you see something you really like, price might not be an object. smile

Oh yea, one more bit of advice, (and worth what it cost smile ), if you are not careful, all the research and all the advice will cause a cataclysm of stalemate and you will never come to a decision on buying a piano. Sometimes you just have to follow your instincts, your ears and your eyes and your hands and go for it. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I would have no idea if this is a fair price in your area... hopefully other forum members can help out. Glad you are getting closer to a decision... hopefully the Baldwin will get a 'thumbs up' from the tech.

BTW: Hope you are planning on getting a teacher. I am not one, but I couldn't survive without mine.

Also check out the adult beginners forum here: there are quarterly recitals, threads for pianists studying a particular method book, and others of great support.

J
OP Offline
J
I definitely learned the hard way about saying my budget up front! They all showed me pianos within a few hundred dollars of $10k!
Thanks for the advice Rick - and I totally agree with you. I'm looking at all of the information, reviews, data, prices and treating this like a science to find the "best" one. I would most likely be happy with any of them. When I go to 2 more stores tomorrow, I'll try to let my ears and eyes and hands do their thing and turn my brain off!

Dogperson - I'm definitely planning on getting a teacher. Cant wait to play twinkle twinkle!
Looking forward to becoming a part of the adult beginners forum.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rickster
I'm not so sure it is a good idea to tell the salespeople what your budget limit is... but they always ask. I guess that is another sales tactic that is standard. Thing is, if you see something you really like, price might not be an object. smile

Rick
I don't like this sales gimmick either. The honest truth is most of us aren't sure how much we're going to spend until we start putting our hands on the pianos available.

For one of my piano purchases I wound up spending twice what I would have said if a salesman had asked me this. It has been a significant time since the purchase, and it was a great decision. I love the piano, and the price was a reasonably good bargain.

Another purchase was from a rebuilder and he just welcomed me to his shop to play everything he had available.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Here's a discussion regarding your question of the merits of buying new vs. used, for reference. There are also other helpful piano-buying articles at the site (disclosure- I write for them regularly):

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall15/04f-piano-buying-basics-new-or-used.html

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I ended up purchasing the 99 Kawai RX-2. Now its time to find a piano teacher! smile

Congratulations on your new-to-you piano! Kawai makes a fine piano, and the RX2 is a great example!

Post pictures when you can.

All the best,

Rick

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I ended up purchasing the 99 Kawai RX-2. Now its time to find a piano teacher! smile
Congrats on your piano! Enjoy!

Pianist and Piano Teacher
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. The RX-2 is a very nice piano. I get to play one from time to time and it's always a treat for me.

Gary
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I definitely learned the hard way about saying my budget up front! They all showed me pianos within a few hundred dollars of $10k!

To get the most piano you can afford, you usually wind up paying all that you can afford. In the land of greasy sales tricks, the salesman leading you to the nicest pianos you said you could afford is hardly egregious.

Welcome to PW and to the piano,

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission