Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
71 registered (AndrewJCW, Beemer, ando, BachToTheFuture, Bachus, Amusingprofessor, 20 invisible), 1005 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2507642 - 02/05/16 03:51 PM Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle?
newbert Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Just wondering whether anyone purchases songbooks/scores on Kindle from Amazon?

If so, is there a way to convert them to PDF so that I can use them with the ForScore app? Or is there at least a way to print them?

Although I can read them in my iPad using the Kindle app, I like using a Bluetooth foot pedal to turn pages. But the Kindle app doesn't support this, while ForScore does.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by newbert (02/05/16 03:52 PM)

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2507673 - 02/05/16 05:50 PM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: newbert]
JoBert Offline

Loc: Germany
I haven't bought any sheet music in kindle format (only normal books), but check out the calibre ebook management software (for PC). It can convert between various ebook formats and I think it can also convert to PDF - although I don't know how good the results are, especially with music scores instead of text...

#2507781 - 02/06/16 02:02 AM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: newbert]
Groove On Offline

Kindle songbooks and sheet music have been a big disappointment. ... wait did I say 'big'? I meant to say a HUGE disappointment. The Kindle format is broken when it comes to music. It handles scores as a graphic that scrolls, zooms, and page turns in the most annoying and irritating way possible for anyone trying to play an instrument at the same time. And no you can't transfer them to ForScore or any other PDF reader.

The best you can do is to look for a special Kindle format called a [PRINT REPLICA] which is a basically a PDF wrapped in the Kindle file format, but without all the useful features in ForScore. And once again, you can't transfer this to ForScore or any other PDF reader.

#2507859 - 02/06/16 09:12 AM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: Groove On]
newbert Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By Groove On
Kindle songbooks and sheet music have been a big disappointment. ... wait did I say 'big'? I meant to say a HUGE disappointment. The Kindle format is broken when it comes to music. It handles scores as a graphic that scrolls, zooms, and page turns in the most annoying and irritating way possible for anyone trying to play an instrument at the same time. And no you can't transfer them to ForScore or any other PDF reader.

The best you can do is to look for a special Kindle format called a [PRINT REPLICA] which is a basically a PDF wrapped in the Kindle file format, but without all the useful features in ForScore. And once again, you can't transfer this to ForScore or any other PDF reader.

Hmmm....That's pretty much what I suspected wrt file conversion. Disappointing for sure.

But I'm wondering whether this might work -- If there's a way of PRINTING a Kindle book or page (Is There?), either print a hardcopy or print directly to a PDFprinter (ie - Bullzip PDF Printer). Then import (or photo) that into ForScore?

So, is there a way to PRINT a Kindle file?

Thanks again.

Thanks.

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2507872 - 02/06/16 10:07 AM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: newbert]
JoBert Offline

Loc: Germany
There's no native way to print a kindle ebook. So again, you would have to convert it first (again, check out Calibre for this, it's free, BTW).
And if you are converting anyway: Try to convert to EPUB, which is the other big ebook format (used by everyone else, except Amazon). If the Kindle ebook music score is essentially only a wrapper for lots of scanned images, then these images should be retained during conversion to EPUB. And then you can take advantage of the following: An EPUB is essentially only a ZIP file. So after converting to EPUB, simply rename the *.epub file to *.zip and open it as you would open any other ZIP archive file. Inside of that archive, you should find a subfolder with all image files, which should also include the score images. So you can just get them out of the ZIP file and convert them into a PDF (there should be lots of tools to make a PDF out of several image files - if nothing else helps, put them into a word processor, one image per page, and export the result as a PDF).

Of course all of this is theoretical. I've never tried this myself, but it should be possible.

#2507898 - 02/06/16 11:39 AM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: newbert]
FrankCox Offline

Loc: Melville Saskatchewan
To the best of my knowledge, most or all Kindle content is digitally copy-protected so it won't be quite that easy -- the files will be encrypted in some way. You will have to find and use a tool to decrypt the files before you can do anything with them, and this may or may not be legal depending on your location and circumstances.

I don't have a Kindle myself and know very little about them, though.

#2507953 - 02/06/16 02:14 PM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: newbert]
Garf Offline

You can buy software that removes the DRM from Kindle books after which you can convert them to printable formats.

If you already have a tablet, you can take screenshots of the pages and print those. If the tablet is high enough resolution then you won't lose any quality.

Aside from the (very crippling) inability to print easily, the low graphics quality of most Kindle score books is reason enough to stay away from them.

FWIW Henle announced a score app for iPad and Android *with* printing support. Curious about how that'll work out.

#2508002 - 02/06/16 04:35 PM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: newbert]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can imagine a large Kindle paper white screen may be nicer to look at than typical tablet screen.
Does the eInk tech allow for fast page turns?

#2508077 - 02/06/16 10:06 PM Re: Piano Scores/Sheet Music on Kindle? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
siros Online   content

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
I can imagine a large Kindle paper white screen may be nicer to look at than typical tablet screen.
Does the eInk tech allow for fast page turns?

I owned an older model, but the technology is roughly the same. It takes 1-2 sec to refresh the screen, which would be horrible for music score. It also blinks, which is distracting.

I think the new model can be set to not refresh screen on every page turn, but it will leave some dark shadow of the previous page on the screen.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Why It's Impossible to Tune a Piano!
aka, why you should be nice to your tuner.
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Poll: Edward Zhou vs Martha Argerich-which speed do you like
by Hua Zhou
05/29/16 05:43 AM
question on piano teachers
by iamanders
05/29/16 05:21 AM
Father/Daughter moving up to Grand - Suggestions?
by Adam S
05/28/16 11:26 PM
Are audio interfaces necessary for VST?
by lamadoo
05/28/16 11:24 PM
WOW!!! "Chord Play", by Forrest Kinney!
by MacMorrighan
05/28/16 07:32 PM
Forum Stats
83,794 Registered Members
44 Forums
173,004 Topics
2,528,876 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission