2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Many trailers are indeed recorded far too loud. I have a macro that turns the lights down halfway and turns up the sound volume at the start of the show (i.e. trailers) and then another that turns the lights down further and turns the volume up further at the start of the feature.

That way people don't get blasted out of their seats and the start of the movie has more impact when the fanfare plays. Adds to the showmanship aspect of the experience, too.

I don't know why trailers are recorded so loud; the baseline volume is higher than the features but that's the fix that I use here.

Maybe other theatres do play their stuff too loud -- once again, I haven't watched a movie in any theatre other than my own for several years. I have the volume here set to what I think is reasonable; anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to go to another theatre.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FrankCox

I have the volume here set to what I think is reasonable; anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to go to another theatre.

When I'm playing a job I like to think that my sound level is reasonable. If a customer tells me I'm too loud or soft, I adjust my levels accordingly.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I believe there's a bit of disconnect because it seems as though Frank doesn't realize how loud levels are in other theaters and because he's implying that his theater is using loud but reasonable levels, he believes that we are asking for the volume to be turned down to a point where it's merely background noise, which isn't the case.

If I'm ever in Saskatchewan, I'll make it a point to visit your theater if only to experience a movie where the level is responsibly selected.

The topic of this conversation is mainly how irresponsibly loud to the point of inducing hearing damage movie theaters often are. If yours isn't part of that group, you have nothing to fear. smile

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by FrankCox
. . .

Maybe other theatres do play their stuff too loud -- once again, I haven't watched a movie in any theatre other than my own for several years. I have the volume here set to what I think is reasonable; anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to go to another theatre.

Since you're instrumented:

. . . What's your typical peak dB(A) reading, for an "action film" ?

. . . What do you consider "reasonable" ?

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
85db for action sequences like police chases with sirens and screeching tires and such. Maybe a bit more for a loud explosion.

Regular conversation, maybe 60-65db.

That's "approximately" and measured from the back of the theatre so it will be a bit louder if you're sitting right in front of the screen.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The topic of this conversation is mainly how irresponsibly loud to the point of inducing hearing damage movie theaters often are.

To be honest ... and since I started this thread, I posted because of my lack of enjoyment.

The film I just saw ... and the reason for my rant ... the sound level in this instance was just a tad too loud.

The damage to ears is secondary for me in this discussion, I just want to enjoy myself when I go out ... and I can't do that if the sound level is too loud or even just a bit too loud.

D
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
The topic of this conversation is mainly how irresponsibly loud to the point of inducing hearing damage movie theaters often are.

To be honest ... and since I started this thread, I posted because of my lack of enjoyment.

The film I just saw ... and the reason for my rant ... the sound level in this instance was just a tad too loud.

The damage to ears is secondary for me in this discussion, I just want to enjoy myself when I go out ... and I can't do that if the sound level is too loud or even just a bit too loud.

Yes but you cannot please everyone. If one person is complaining that it is too loud or too quiet and everyone else in the cinema / gig are happy or at least not distressed enough to complain, what is the management to do? Cater to the taste of one person at the expense of others?

Maybe every seat should have too loud / too quiet buttons in the arm rest and the actual volume is the mean value chosen by the audience. An expensive solution but a democratic one.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused

Yes but you cannot please everyone. If one person is complaining that it is too loud or too quiet and everyone else in the cinema / gig are happy or at least not distressed enough to complain, what is the management to do? Cater to the taste of one person at the expense of others?

Maybe every seat should have too loud / too quiet buttons in the arm rest and the actual volume is the mean value chosen by the audience. An expensive solution but a democratic one.

I'm curious, have you ... or anyone for that matter, ever experience sound levels at your local cinema that were too quiet?

I've never had that experience, never. Adopting your solution, I'm fairly certain we could eliminate that Too quiet button. smile

D
D

I'm curious, have you ... or anyone for that matter, ever experience sound levels at your local cinema that were too quiet?

I've never had that experience, never. Adopting your solution, I'm fairly certain we could eliminate that Too quiet button. smile

Actually, quite recently. I cannot say whether it was the sound system or the way the sound was mixed but the dialogue required a but too much effort to follow at all times in The Danish Girl at a Picturehouse in Central London.

No, I have very good hearing.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Instead of a global speaker system, maybe every seat should have headphones and each person can then set his or her own volume level. To protect against getting sued for damaged hearing, maybe at a certain volume level, there could be a warning for the user that going beyond that could result in hearing damage.

I realize this is a rather silly recommendation for many reasons, however I really know of no other way that everybody would be satisfied with their theater experience. There are people who want everything loud. I don't understand it, but there it is. They would be as unhappy with lower volumes as those of us in this thread are with current higher volume levels. I really think the best solution is that those of us who don't like the high volume levels in theaters, simply not go. Leave the theaters to those who want big volume, big screen, big experience.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I really think the best solution is that those of us who don't like the high volume levels in theaters, simply not go. Leave the theaters to those who want big volume, big screen, big experience.

I agree ... and I have a solution for the next time. After five or ten minutes into the film if I'm not happy with the sound, I'll turn in my ticket and ask for a refund.

As it stands now, I've written a letter to the headquarters of this cinema and am curious what their response will be.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by TonyB

I really think the best solution is that those of us who don't like the high volume levels in theaters, simply not go. Leave the theaters to those who want big volume, big screen, big experience.

Tony

Tony, I disagree strongly with your comments. FrankCox has come in here defending his own cinema and describing how fastidious he is with the calibration of his sound system. That's great that he is, however most cinemas are not doing this. The volume in typical multiplex cinemas is literally random. Every time I go, the volume is different to the last time. And the most recent time I went, I found it head-splittingly loud. So I went to complain. They checked it out and agreed that it was ridiculously loud and turned it down to a sensible level. I have never heard a cinema that was too quiet though - just different levels between sensible and jet-aircraft.

Going by your comments, you would have me just give up on going to the cinema because I should just blindly trust that the cinema operator has put more thought into their volume levels than anyone else could - that they have determined the optimal level and found the right compromise for the majority of the movie-going public. You would put me in the category of "people who just shouldn't go to the movies because I have sensitive hearing".

Only problem with that theory is that none of it is true! The cinema was set too loud, they agreed, they fixed it after I drew it to their attention. I think different films come with different sound levels, and each time a film is shown, the volume should be checked by the projectionist. Unfortunately it isn't. They run skeleton staff in these centres and they typically neglect things unless they have to fix them. I have no doubt they just didn't check the sound after the last movie. They just have it set at some default setting and sometimes it's too loud on certain movies.

It takes people to speak up to get change. We can't all shrink in the background - much as that might fly in the face of today's confrontation averse society. I didn't demand it be turned down. I asked politely if they could, and they sent somebody to check on it. It turned out I was right, so they did turn it down. If they hadn't agreed, they probably would have not changed it.

When did we become so chicken? Afraid to speak and just assume others have made the best decisions? It's just as likely that the majority also feel the movie is too loud - but they are too scared to speak up. So they should all give up on movies and stay home? This is crazy talk! Speak up, people!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ando

Tony

Tony, I disagree strongly with your comments. FrankCox has come in here defending his own cinema and describing how fastidious he is with the calibration of his sound system. That's great that he is, however most cinemas are not doing this. The volume in typical multiplex cinemas is literally random. Every time I go, the volume is different to the last time. And the most recent time I went, I found it head-splittingly loud. So I went to complain. They checked it out and agreed that it was ridiculously loud and turned it down to a sensible level. I have never heard a cinema that was too quiet though - just different levels between sensible and jet-aircraft.

Going by your comments, you would have me just give up on going to the cinema because I should just blindly trust that the cinema operator has put more thought into their volume levels than anyone else could - that they have determined the optimal level and found the right compromise for the majority of the movie-going public. You would put me in the category of "people who just shouldn't go to the movies because I have sensitive hearing".

Only problem with that theory is that none of it is true! The cinema was set too loud, they agreed, they fixed it after I drew it to their attention. I think different films come with different sound levels, and each time a film is shown, the volume should be checked by the projectionist. Unfortunately it isn't. They run skeleton staff in these centres and they typically neglect things unless they have to fix them. I have no doubt they just didn't check the sound after the last movie. They just have it set at some default setting and sometimes it's too loud on certain movies.

It takes people to speak up to get change. We can't all shrink in the background - much as that might fly in the face of today's confrontation averse society. I didn't demand it be turned down. I asked politely if they could, and they sent somebody to check on it. It turned out I was right, so they did turn it down. If they hadn't agreed, they probably would have not changed it.

When did we become so chicken? Afraid to speak and just assume others have made the best decisions? It's just as likely that the majority also feel the movie is too loud - but they are too scared to speak up. So they should all give up on movies and stay home? This is crazy talk! Speak up, people!

Wow! Just wow! I think it is great that you were able to get a theater manager to turn down the volume, just as it sounds as if Frank Cox is doing a wonderful thing with how he has his theater set up.

You sound like you are itching for a fight here. Sorry, I am not interested.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Tony

Wow! Just wow! I think it is great that you were able to get a theater manager to turn down the volume, just as it sounds as if Frank Cox is doing a wonderful thing with how he has his theater set up.

Tony

Your response just now explains why you would advocate people just go home and give up on the movies. You are confrontation averse. That's ok, you can do what you like. I am respectful when I talk to people. I didn't start a fight - and they turned the movie down. Everybody wins.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Tony

Tony

Your response just now explains why you would advocate people just go home and give up on the movies. You are confrontation averse. That's ok, you can do what you like. I am respectful when I talk to people. I didn't start a fight - and they turned the movie down. Everybody wins.

I would suggest that just maybe you might ask what I meant in my post instead of firing of a long-winded diatribe. You don't know me or my history, nor do I know you yours. You assume that I am a certain way, when the context of my post was limited to what I had quoted. I was ONLY addressing the idea of buttons to control sound on the seat.

Also, I have asked management in restaurants to turn down the sound and in every case, they have done so. I did it in a non-confrontational manner.

If you are questioning my "fear", please consider that I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I served with many of your countrymen, and they were certainly fine people, whom I greatly respect. That may mean nothing to you, but I don't think your description of me fits my history. I do speak up for what I believe, despite your insinuations to the contrary. However, I try to do so in such a manner as to leave the other person some room to not feel s/he is being attacked and therefore find it necessary to fight.

I find your posts to and about me to be in very poor taste, and suggest that in the future, you ignore my posts if that is how you wish to conduct yourself in these forums. I am much more interested in civility and making sure that I understand where another is coming from before firing of such a diatribe as yours.

As I said, I am not interested in fighting. So please get hold of your emotions and conduct yourself with some civility from here on.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 02/07/16 01:25 PM.

Roland V-Grand
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
To be honest, Tony, I think you're being overly sensitive here. I didn't read anything wrong or confrontational on the part of the other poster. Sounds like you took his comments the wrong way. It's happened to all of us at one point or another.

It's true that most people would rather avoid a face-to-face conversation where somebody communications their displeasure so I have to agree with his comments pertaining tat society in general tends to be comprised of people who'd rather avoid those awkward exchanges.

Personally, the reason I don't go anymore (in regards to how loud the volume is) is simply due to the fact that I'm aware I'm in the minority. Most people LIKE it loud and WANT it loud. They believe that this creates ambiance or the feeling that you're in a giant theater. I disagree but since I know I'm one of the few, I don't even bother going anymore.

It's the same with loud restaurants. I went to a place that started out fine and then began to blast obnoxious loud Sean Paul reggae rapping nonsense. The place had a young clientele who seemed to enjoy that. I didn't. Instead of complaining fully being aware that the people who enjoy this outnumber me, and instead of being "that guy" who wants the world to adapt to HIM, I decided that I simply won't go there anymore. Their business likely won't suffer from my refusal to set foot there anymore but that is not the point. I simply vote with my wallet where to spend time. And that time should be a lovely experience.

I agree that there's no real point to complain at this point. Noise pollution is everywhere and it's next to impossible to find quiet enjoyable places. Most people I know even need the radio or TV to be playing in the background. Don't know why the majority of people are so afraid of not having some type of pointless noise filling the air but this is where we are at, now. Since I know the world won't change for me, I decide to avoid those places, one of which is the movie theater. I've recreated a much better experience at home, IMHO.

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Tony

Tony

I would suggest that just maybe you might ask what I meant in my post instead of firing of a long-winded diatribe. You don't know me or my history, nor do I know you yours. You assume that I am a certain way, when the context of my post was limited to what I had quoted. I was ONLY addressing the idea of buttons to control sound on the seat.

Also, I have asked management in restaurants to turn down the sound and in every case, they have done so. I did it in a non-confrontational manner.

If you are questioning my "fear", please consider that I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I served with many of your countrymen, and they were certainly fine people, whom I greatly respect. That may mean nothing to you, but I don't think your description of me fits my history. I do speak up for what I believe, despite your insinuations to the contrary. However, I try to do so in such a manner as to leave the other person some room to not feel s/he is being attacked and therefore find it necessary to fight.

I find your posts to and about me to be in very poor taste, and suggest that in the future, you ignore my posts if that is how you wish to conduct yourself in these forums. I am much more interested in civility and making sure that I understand where another is coming from before firing of such a diatribe as yours.

As I said, I am not interested in fighting. So please get hold of your emotions and conduct yourself with some civility from here on.

Tony

Tony, I do feel you are confrontation averse on this forum. I've seen you issue the statement "You are spoiling for a fight, Sorry I'm not interested." many times. But you have me confused with somebody else: I'm up for debate, not for fighting. That's where it sits for me.

If you read my posts dispassionately instead of emotionally, you would see that I was challenging the statements you made, not you as a person. As you correctly state, I don't know you. I'm not going to try to analyse your whole character. But when you post that people should just leave a cinema and never go back because it's too loud, and leave the theaters for those who want the big volume, why shouldn't I challenge that? You didn't advocate speaking up at all. You gave the impression of not saying anything and just accepting it. Like movies aren't suitable for people who like moderately loud sound. I fundamentally disagree with that. If you say there was more to this opinion, sorry, but I shouldn't have to quiz you for meaning that you could have mentioned yourself.

There are no personal invectives about you anywhere in my posts. In fact, I quite enjoy most of your posts. I feel you are being very emotional about this yourself because you are perceiving a personal attack. I'll repeat, I am passionate about the principle of people standing up for themselves and not just accepting what they get - that is a principle I speak up for entirely separately from you. You just happened to raise it here. If you feel I gave a diatribe, that's your interpretation and you are entitled to it. I would suggest you are seeing personal attacks where there are none. I just disagree with what you posted. I have no problem with you beyond that.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Strat
To be honest, Tony, I think you're being overly sensitive here. I didn't read anything wrong or confrontational on the part of the other poster. Sounds like you took his comments the wrong way. It's happened to all of us at one point or another.

It's true that most people would rather avoid a face-to-face conversation where somebody communications their displeasure so I have to agree with his comments pertaining tat society in general tends to be comprised of people who'd rather avoid those awkward exchanges.

Personally, the reason I don't go anymore (in regards to how loud the volume is) is simply due to the fact that I'm aware I'm in the minority. Most people LIKE it loud and WANT it loud. They believe that this creates ambiance or the feeling that you're in a giant theater. I disagree but since I know I'm one of the few, I don't even bother going anymore.

It's the same with loud restaurants. I went to a place that started out fine and then began to blast obnoxious loud Sean Paul reggae rapping nonsense. The place had a young clientele who seemed to enjoy that. I didn't. Instead of complaining fully being aware that the people who enjoy this outnumber me, and instead of being "that guy" who wants the world to adapt to HIM, I decided that I simply won't go there anymore. Their business likely won't suffer from my refusal to set foot there anymore but that is not the point. I simply vote with my wallet where to spend time. And that time should be a lovely experience.

I agree that there's no real point to complain at this point. Noise pollution is everywhere and it's next to impossible to find quiet enjoyable places. Most people I know even need the radio or TV to be playing in the background. Don't know why the majority of people are so afraid of not having some type of pointless noise filling the air but this is where we are at, now. Since I know the world won't change for me, I decide to avoid those places, one of which is the movie theater. I've recreated a much better experience at home, IMHO.

I do agree with Ando in that I do think that complaining to the manager can make a difference. As I mentioned, I have successfully complained to the manager (sometimes via the waitress, other times directly) about the volume of the music. In every case, it was turned down. I have not done that in a theater since I rarely go, largely because I never really had much interest in going to the movies - not because of the volume, it is just not something that interests me. I will keep in mind the next time I do go (because my wife likes to on occasion), Ando's comments about complaining to the manager. Perhaps that will work as it has in restaurants.

As for being overly sensitive, I respectfully disagree because the comments were aimed at me specifically in both responses. However, I could well be wrong and would be willing to admit that if such were the case. It can be very difficult to get full context of another's post without all the other communication that exists in person. I suspect that an in-person discussion of this sort would have gone much more civil in person with tone of voice, body language, and immediate feedback.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks Strat. You got what I was driving at. Tony just opened the door, but my comments weren't specifically about him. I took them as representative statements of how a lot of people tend to accept a situation and not try to change it. I find it's always worth a try because a lot of problems are just oversights that can be fixed quickly and easily. And a lot of people feel the same way but don't speak up. Chances are when you do find something very unpleasant and you do speak up, you are doing everyone a favour.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I hope my previous clarifies a bit where I stand on the issue of volume levels.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission