2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There are no plans to introduce a successor to the VPC1 at this time.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
There are no plans to introduce a successor to the VPC1 at this time.

Kind regards,
James
x

Yes James, but what about a fullfledged midi controller with top end kawai keybed...

A Kawai midi controller comparable to NI komplete, Nektar Panorama or Akai Advance would be the best thing that could happen to the world of professional controllers..

I think Akai, is willing to sell the VIP in license to 3rd party companies, to make another step in their fight against the NI komplete to become the new standard... And with VIP 2.0 it offers more then komplete...

VIP support would also work perfectly in a stage piano..

Bachus, yes, that would be rather nice, although the 'do-everything' controller market is incredibly price competitive - I wonder if using a wooden key action would make such a product too expensive for most consumers?

Regardless, such a controller would not carry the 'VPC' designation, as the core concept would be rather different.

Cheers,
James
x

J
J
Bachus, yes, that would be rather nice, although the 'do-everything' controller market is incredibly price competitive - I wonder if using a wooden key action would make such a product too expensive for most consumers?

Regardless, such a controller would not carry the 'VPC' designation, as the core concept would be rather different.

Cheers,
James
x

If a Kawai VIC were forthcoming I too definitely would be very interested, since the market for controllers may indeed be price competitive, but IMHO it needs to focus more on becoming quality-competitive.
And that is where I think Kawai could shine. smile

If Kawai were to introduce a high end controller with for example an onboard screen displaying a browser and the parameters assigned to the controls (as is the case with e.g. the Akai Advance/Alesis VX/M Audio CTRL which use the VIP software), then the higher price for the quality and the action would be worth it for me.

M
M
Originally Posted by JL16

Cheers,
James
x

If a Kawai VIC were forthcoming I too definitely would be very interested, since the market for controllers may indeed be price competitive, but IMHO it needs to focus more on becoming quality-competitive.

If Kawai were to introduce a high end controller with for example an onboard screen displaying a browser and the parameters assigned to the controls (as is the case with e.g. the Akai Advance/Alesis VX/M Audio CTRL which use the VIP software), then the higher price for the quality and the action would be worth it for me.

But then do you really want a pianolike action for a controller that would be used for strings and brass and other orchestral instruments? I think the market for controllers is really geared toward movies and games, which are heavy on orchestral stuff.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
In my opinion, Kawai VPC2 ought to have...

97 keys!!!!!
If VPC is intended for software pianos, that means Bosendorfers as well as Steinways, and most Bosendorfer libraries sample all 97 keys, so we want to be able to play them all please! This would also make it stand out from the rest in the market. Only Lachnit 97 Imperial MIDI controller offers 97 weighted key action, and that costs a fortune.

Grand Feel 3
Grand Feel was good, and Grand Feel 2 may be technically superior, but Kawai ruined it by putting that ridiculous over-the-top textured / 3D serrated / ribbed for her pleasure / deep grooved wood grain feel on the black keys!!!! I don't like new black keys at all and they don't feel natural. When has anybody ever seen a real piano with THAT MUCH uneven finish surface on keytops?! Hopefully Kawai will go back to a smoother flatter sensible finish for Grand Feel 3 and that is what will make it onto VPC2 model, not the GF2 key surface, otherwise it will be so annoying.

Pitch & Mod Wheels / Assignable knobs & sliders / a few basic built-in piano sounds in case your laptop crashes...
Oh wait, that's just an MP11....
There is an argument that piano purists don't need all this other stuff, and we do like the minimalist visual look of VPC1, but having assignable MIDI controller knobs / sliders makes editing sounds while you play them much easier, and better than mouse / keyboard. So how about touch panel controls under glass like the Physis Piano H1, with LEDs that can be then turned off afterwards for sheer black look.
Same goes for next MP12 design, (I prefer MP8 shape anyway and the 256 sound library it used to have - useful for band gigs) maybe MP12 could have the glass touch style controls, or even a sliding over black cover that covers the controls leaving a blank VPC1 appearance. Also MP12 needs digital out!!!!

Audio Interface built in
On VPC2 would be a good idea. I suppose having a Muse Receptor and 10 inch touchscreen built in is out of the question?!

Last edited by propianist; 02/05/16 03:20 PM.
M
M
If VPC is quite expensive, I don't want to think about the price of such machine

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
J
J
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by JL16

Cheers,
James
x

But then do you really want a pianolike action for a controller that would be used for strings and brass and other orchestral instruments? I think the market for controllers is really geared toward movies and games, which are heavy on orchestral stuff.

But then again: which 88 key options are available right now?
Aren't almost all of them hammer actions, most of them disappointing when it comes to playability, key response, keybed noise, etc?
And the few 88 key controllers which are semi-weighted are not exactly renowned for their quality, quite the contrary. They may do the job, but that's about all that can be said about them.

So, both of these areas of 88 key controllers have ample room for improvement, both the hammer action and the semi-weighted action (which is almost absent from the market).
When it comes to the hammer action I strongly feel that Kawai could make a significant positive difference with a controller as mentioned earlier.
When it comes to semi-weighted or lightly weighted action, well, who will rise to the challenge?

J
J
Just out of curiosity, what sort of price are we talking about when contemplating a possible Kawai mastercontroller with a wooden keybed, and how much less would such a controller with a keybed like the MP7 cost?

M
M
I don't understand why Kawai uses wood in digital pianos and composite in grands... Anyway I believe that some day, probably with the exception of the soundboard, pianos will be made of artificial materials.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
I don't understand why Kawai uses wood in digital pianos and composite in grands...

You seem to see a difference. From the photos I have seen both actions are similar* : a wooden key and the rest of the action in other materials. (The hammer of the grand excepted)

* from one point of view, the choice of materials...

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/06/16 06:33 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
M
You are right, but I was trying yo understand why they move in opposed ways in each market.
By the way Mason & Hamlin also use composite in their actions.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
You are right, but I was trying yo understand why they move in opposed ways in each market.
By the way Mason & Hamlin also use composite in their actions.

But not the actual keys. =Kawai DPs.

Right, the keys of Kawai Arctic acoustic pianos are still wood, while (some of) the action parts use composite materials when there are benefits to doing so.

The keyboard and action mechanism parts perform different functions. We select the best materials for each, depending on their function.

James
x

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Right, the keys of Kawai Arctic pianos are still wood
Do you have to wear mittens to play such an arctic piano? Could make playing quite difficult, couldn't it? grin

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Lol, that's true.

Time to fix that typo...

Cheers,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission