Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
93 registered (AZ_Astro, agraffe, Anne H, anamnesis, Anne'sson, 23 invisible), 1260 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2508303 - Today at 07:11 PM VPC1 or MP11: Redux
Henry Pasternack Online   content

Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these, since my Schulze-Pollmann upright shares the same room as my wife's office -- and she's working all the time.

I can't get an audition of the VPC1 around here. The local dealer said he's stopped stocking the VPC1 because customers aren't interested in the complexity of the virtual instrument setup.

I played the MP11 yesterday. Or tried to. There was a guy in the shop who wouldn't stop playing seventies and eighties schmaltz pop at full volume and it was too loud to hear the MP11 even with headphones.

My top priority is the action. I thought the MP11 was very playable. Perhaps the keys felt like they could use a bit more mass for my taste, and I couldn't decide if the lack of "character" was a good thing or a bad thing. It's highly subjective, since I'm biased knowing I'm playing a digital. The same action in a Steinway case, I might rate as superb and extremely uniform. I need more time to decide.

I prefer the idea of the VPC1, since I would almost never use the built-in features of the MP11. I'm a sort-of entry-level advanced classical player and often get up on the keys; I'm nervous about the shorter length of the VPC1 keysticks.

Like others have said, what I really would love is a VPC2 with the Grand Feel II action, but I know that isn't going to happen. I've read every review and discussion I can find of the two keyboards, but haven't seen much in-depth analysis of the action of the VPC1 keyboard compared to an acoustic grand.

Realistically, money isn't really the main consideration here, so the MP11 is probably the safest bet. Still, I'd be grateful for any comments from VPC1 users.

-Henry

(ad) SWEETWATER
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater
#2508305 - Today at 07:20 PM Re: VPC1 or MP11: Redux [Re: Henry Pasternack]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
When I owned a VPC1, I felt the action was identical to my Petrof, which is a very heavy Renner action (but not impossible to play). Then I traded in for the MP11. It's a bit lighter feeling due to the key length, but both actions feel great and I'm sure you'd get accustomed to either one.

If you are comfortable with using software piano sounds, then the VPC1 is an excellent instrument and you'll be able to play advanced classical piano on it with no problems. If you think you will want to have on-board sounds, and/or use your DP as a MIDI controller for other instruments as well (with a need for the Mod wheel) then the MP11 is the one you want.

#2508311 - Today at 07:38 PM Re: VPC1 or MP11: Redux [Re: Henry Pasternack]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Henry,

Morodiene's post highlights the main differences between these two models, from someone with experience of both.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask where you are based?
It is a little discouraging to hear the dealer's reluctance to stock the VPC1, however I appreciate that the majority of purchases will be made online.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2508339 - Today at 09:19 PM Re: VPC1 or MP11: Redux [Re: Henry Pasternack]
Henry Pasternack Online   content

Thanks for the replies. James, you have a PM with the information you requested.

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said elsewhere. The simplicity and elegance of the VPC1 are very appealing. But the benefit of the Grand Feel II action, even if more theoretical than practical, is compelling and that would probably sway me toward the MP11 in the end.

I have to think about this a bit because I live in a small house and I need to find a place to put a new keyboard.

FWIW, I bought a P90 about twelve years ago but ended up selling it because, honestly, the action hurt my fingers. Not that this needs to be said, but the MP11 keyboard is light years ahead of the P90.

-Henry

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2508355 - 23 minutes 39 seconds ago Re: VPC1 or MP11: Redux [Re: Henry Pasternack]
Strat Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'm in Toronto and no dealer would stock a VPC1 to try. When requesting any info on one, any employee would redirect me to the MP11, CA67, or CA97.

Had no choice but to order one. If I dislike it, I'll return it.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $4700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano teacher dilemma
by pianofan1017
51 minutes 10 seconds ago
Used Kawai
by Graham W
Today at 08:55 PM
I search for Blueberry Hill, but one complete video.
by ster100
Today at 08:33 PM
Which USB-B to MIDI DIN adapter.
by Celdor
Today at 07:24 PM
VPC1 or MP11: Redux
by Henry Pasternack
Today at 07:11 PM
Forum Stats
82,506 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,331 Topics
2,493,181 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission