Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
58 registered (Beemer, augustm, ando, alwatson, 15 invisible), 1067 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2508523 - 02/08/16 05:14 PM ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem
newbert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
A few months ago, I started a thread explaining that the right foot pedal on my Pageflip Cicada was dying. (I use it to turn pages in ForScore.)

Rather than replace the entire unit, I found a relatively inexpensive external pedal which plugs into the Cicada - to replace the right foot pedal. Until now, this has worked great. In fact, I found it's tactile feel better than the Cicada's.

Unfortunately, over the past week to 10 days, this pedal's performance has started being flaky. It's not that it no longer works - in a way, it works too good! Let me explain....

After turning a page, I hold my foot down on the pedal (fully) until the next page turn. The next page turn is supposed to be activated when I again press DOWN on the pedal. Unfortunately, a page turn now occurs when I LIFT my foot and again when I PRESS DOWN my foot - but only sometimes. IOW, I can't count on a consistent page-turn when I lift and step-down because I sometimes get a double page turn instead.

Has anyone encountered this problem with any foot pedal? If so, how did you fix it? Do you think that the problem is with the Cicada or with the external foot pedal (or possibly with ForScore). Are there any suggestions for me to try short of replacing the external pedal? (BTW, here is the external pedal that I'm using. I've had it for only about 6 months.)

Any thoughts on resolving this would be greatly appreciated, as it's pretty annoying.

Thanks!

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2508586 - 02/08/16 10:00 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: newbert]
sfhombre Offline

It's only $19. Why not buy another and see if that stops the problem.

#2508628 - 02/09/16 02:25 AM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: newbert]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
Have you tried to turn pages in other supported apps such as iBooks, using the Bluetooth pedal? At least that would give you some idea as to where the problem may lie.

I'd be very surprised if forScore was the culprit - I've used it for the past 15 months with two iPads and an AirTurn pedal and it has been faultless.

(I'm also wondering why you would hold the pedal down all the time, and lift and press down to turn the page. I only press the pedal when I want to turn a page.)

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.

#2508659 - 02/09/16 06:26 AM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: MarieJ]
newbert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By MarieJ
Have you tried to turn pages in other supported apps such as iBooks, using the Bluetooth pedal? At least that would give you some idea as to where the problem may lie.

I'd be very surprised if forScore was the culprit - I've used it for the past 15 months with two iPads and an AirTurn pedal and it has been faultless.

(I'm also wondering why you would hold the pedal down all the time, and lift and press down to turn the page. I only press the pedal when I want to turn a page.)

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it with iBooks. (I didn't realize that iBooks supported Bluetooth pedal page turning.)

FWIW, I got into holding the pedal down when I had an Airturn pedal (which I didn't like). The Airturn was uncomfortable for me due to it's relatively long distance from top to bottom of it's travel. So, I started to just hold it down until the next page turn.

That said, even with "proper" (down-up) pedaling, I sometimes get a double page turn now. frown

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2508743 - 02/09/16 01:02 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: MarieJ]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I always rest my foot on the pedal between page turns. It's much more comfortable for me to do that than moving my foot back and forth laterally to stab the pedal.

The PageFlip has a repeat on/off button that prevents multiple page turns while holding down the pedal. Perhaps the OP's PageFlip needs to be reset to stop the intermittent repeats he's seeing. I'd switch that button back and forth once or twice, or also try removing the batteries for a couple of minutes to make sure the PageFlip resets completely.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2508755 - 02/09/16 01:27 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: newbert]
newbert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By newbert

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it with iBooks. (I didn't realize that iBooks supported Bluetooth pedal page turning.)

FWIW, I got into holding the pedal down when I had an Airturn pedal (which I didn't like). The Airturn was uncomfortable for me due to it's relatively long distance from top to bottom of it's travel. So, I started to just hold it down until the next page turn.

That said, even with "proper" (down-up) pedaling, I sometimes get a double page turn now. frown

FWIW - I tried it with iBooks and the iBooks doesn't respond to the pedal at all. Are you sure that it should work with iBooks?

#2508758 - 02/09/16 01:29 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: Macy]
newbert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Macy

I always rest my foot on the pedal between page turns. It's much more comfortable for me to do that than moving my foot back and forth laterally to stab the pedal.

The PageFlip has a repeat on/off button that prevents multiple page turns while holding down the pedal. Perhaps the OP's PageFlip needs to be reset to stop the intermittent repeats he's seeing. I'd switch that button back and forth once or twice, or also try removing the batteries for a couple of minutes to make sure the PageFlip resets completely.

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to rest my foot on the pedal. smile

I'll check that reset button and setting on the Cicada and report back. Thanks for pointing that out.

FWIW, my Cicada is plugged into a wall outlet. I'll disconnect the power (and remove the batteries if they're inside) before resetting.

Thanks again!

#2508821 - 02/09/16 03:37 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: newbert]
newbert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Macy

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to rest my foot on the pedal. smile

I'll check that reset button and setting on the Cicada and report back. Thanks for pointing that out.

FWIW, my Cicada is plugged into a wall outlet. I'll disconnect the power (and remove the batteries if they're inside) before resetting.

Thanks again!

Well, I removed the batteries and unplugged from the wall outlet, then played with the "Repeat ON/OFF" switch, hooked everything up again and connected via Bluetooth and ..... same problem. frown In fact, it seems to be getting worse. -- VERY ANNOYING.

I guess that I'll just have to order a new external pedal. At least they're inexpensive.

#2508832 - 02/09/16 04:12 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: newbert]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia

FWIW - I tried it with iBooks and the iBooks doesn't respond to the pedal at all. Are you sure that it should work with iBooks?

Sorry, Newbert, not having a PageFlip I Googled its specifications and saw iBooks under 'Applications. I didn't continue on the full list of Compatible Apps; I checked more thoroughly this morning and it doesn't appear to be among them blush . There are others you could try, though, including Word.

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.

#2511061 - 02/15/16 09:07 PM Re: ForScore: Bluetooth Footpedal Problem [Re: MarieJ]
newbert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just to close out this thread FWIW -- The replacement external pedal works perfectly (knock wood). So, I guess that the original external pedal just wore out somehow after only about 6 months.

Good thing that they're inexpensive to replace!

Thanks to everyone on your thoughts and contributions to this thread.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New piano action settling?
by Beemer
05/06/16 03:29 AM
Music Notes & Keyboards Swimming Pool
by Piano Valentine
05/05/16 10:59 PM
Little help from Kimball owners
by Davemaster84
05/05/16 10:42 PM
Mason & Hamlin Visit & ProRecord MIDI System
by Piano World
05/05/16 05:53 PM
retrofitting MIDI on a grand piano
by peterspiano
05/05/16 05:08 PM
Forum Stats
83,527 Registered Members
44 Forums
172,443 Topics
2,521,680 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission