2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
A few months ago, I started a thread explaining that the right foot pedal on my Pageflip Cicada was dying. (I use it to turn pages in ForScore.)

Rather than replace the entire unit, I found a relatively inexpensive external pedal which plugs into the Cicada - to replace the right foot pedal. Until now, this has worked great. In fact, I found it's tactile feel better than the Cicada's.

Unfortunately, over the past week to 10 days, this pedal's performance has started being flaky. It's not that it no longer works - in a way, it works too good! Let me explain....

After turning a page, I hold my foot down on the pedal (fully) until the next page turn. The next page turn is supposed to be activated when I again press DOWN on the pedal. Unfortunately, a page turn now occurs when I LIFT my foot and again when I PRESS DOWN my foot - but only sometimes. IOW, I can't count on a consistent page-turn when I lift and step-down because I sometimes get a double page turn instead.

Has anyone encountered this problem with any foot pedal? If so, how did you fix it? Do you think that the problem is with the Cicada or with the external foot pedal (or possibly with ForScore). Are there any suggestions for me to try short of replacing the external pedal? (BTW, here is the external pedal that I'm using. I've had it for only about 6 months.)

Any thoughts on resolving this would be greatly appreciated, as it's pretty annoying.

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
S
S
It's only $19. Why not buy another and see if that stops the problem.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Have you tried to turn pages in other supported apps such as iBooks, using the Bluetooth pedal? At least that would give you some idea as to where the problem may lie.

I'd be very surprised if forScore was the culprit - I've used it for the past 15 months with two iPads and an AirTurn pedal and it has been faultless.

(I'm also wondering why you would hold the pedal down all the time, and lift and press down to turn the page. I only press the pedal when I want to turn a page.)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MarieJ
Have you tried to turn pages in other supported apps such as iBooks, using the Bluetooth pedal? At least that would give you some idea as to where the problem may lie.

I'd be very surprised if forScore was the culprit - I've used it for the past 15 months with two iPads and an AirTurn pedal and it has been faultless.

(I'm also wondering why you would hold the pedal down all the time, and lift and press down to turn the page. I only press the pedal when I want to turn a page.)

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it with iBooks. (I didn't realize that iBooks supported Bluetooth pedal page turning.)

FWIW, I got into holding the pedal down when I had an Airturn pedal (which I didn't like). The Airturn was uncomfortable for me due to it's relatively long distance from top to bottom of it's travel. So, I started to just hold it down until the next page turn.

That said, even with "proper" (down-up) pedaling, I sometimes get a double page turn now. frown

Bert
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

I always rest my foot on the pedal between page turns. It's much more comfortable for me to do that than moving my foot back and forth laterally to stab the pedal.

The PageFlip has a repeat on/off button that prevents multiple page turns while holding down the pedal. Perhaps the OP's PageFlip needs to be reset to stop the intermittent repeats he's seeing. I'd switch that button back and forth once or twice, or also try removing the batteries for a couple of minutes to make sure the PageFlip resets completely.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by newbert

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it with iBooks. (I didn't realize that iBooks supported Bluetooth pedal page turning.)

FWIW, I got into holding the pedal down when I had an Airturn pedal (which I didn't like). The Airturn was uncomfortable for me due to it's relatively long distance from top to bottom of it's travel. So, I started to just hold it down until the next page turn.

That said, even with "proper" (down-up) pedaling, I sometimes get a double page turn now. frown

FWIW - I tried it with iBooks and the iBooks doesn't respond to the pedal at all. Are you sure that it should work with iBooks?

Bert
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Macy

I always rest my foot on the pedal between page turns. It's much more comfortable for me to do that than moving my foot back and forth laterally to stab the pedal.

The PageFlip has a repeat on/off button that prevents multiple page turns while holding down the pedal. Perhaps the OP's PageFlip needs to be reset to stop the intermittent repeats he's seeing. I'd switch that button back and forth once or twice, or also try removing the batteries for a couple of minutes to make sure the PageFlip resets completely.

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to rest my foot on the pedal. smile

I'll check that reset button and setting on the Cicada and report back. Thanks for pointing that out.

FWIW, my Cicada is plugged into a wall outlet. I'll disconnect the power (and remove the batteries if they're inside) before resetting.

Thanks again!

Bert
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Macy

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to rest my foot on the pedal. smile

I'll check that reset button and setting on the Cicada and report back. Thanks for pointing that out.

FWIW, my Cicada is plugged into a wall outlet. I'll disconnect the power (and remove the batteries if they're inside) before resetting.

Thanks again!

Well, I removed the batteries and unplugged from the wall outlet, then played with the "Repeat ON/OFF" switch, hooked everything up again and connected via Bluetooth and ..... same problem. frown In fact, it seems to be getting worse. -- VERY ANNOYING.

I guess that I'll just have to order a new external pedal. At least they're inexpensive.

Bert
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

FWIW - I tried it with iBooks and the iBooks doesn't respond to the pedal at all. Are you sure that it should work with iBooks?

Sorry, Newbert, not having a PageFlip I Googled its specifications and saw iBooks under 'Applications. I didn't continue on the full list of Compatible Apps; I checked more thoroughly this morning and it doesn't appear to be among them blush . There are others you could try, though, including Word.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Just to close out this thread FWIW -- The replacement external pedal works perfectly (knock wood). So, I guess that the original external pedal just wore out somehow after only about 6 months.

Good thing that they're inexpensive to replace!

Thanks to everyone on your thoughts and contributions to this thread.

Bert

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission