Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#250884 - 03/10/07 07:19 PM my piano shopping experience and a new "old" Petrof IV
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Greetings all. This is my virginal posting on this forum.

First some background information. I used to have a 1989 Charles Walter console, but it did not survive flooding from Hurricane Katrina well \:\( , and as I plan to end my homeless period sometime in 2007, I am in the market for another piano. I am currently away from southeastern Louisiana (in Denver) and haven't checked out the stores there, but from some conversations with dealers, it seems to be a tight market with few pianos on site - except for, ironically, the dealer where I had originally purchased the Charles Walter, but who now seems to bad mouth that brand ("I heard that the console is now going to made in China") since the dealer took over the local marketing rights for Steinway ("The Boston uprights are far superior to that QUIRKY Charles Walter brand") :rolleyes: . So it looks like I am going to be buying this piano non-locally.

While I was satisified with the Charles Walter (easily the best console or studio around, and right up there with the best of any uprights, IMHO), I decided that this would be a good time to upgrade to a grand. I would like to keep the price in the range of $15K. The big problem with grand pianos is that price-wise, the sky can be the limit, and I just don't feel like spending any more than that order of magnitiude over than the Charles Walter console.

I have doing some research and finger shopping, and it seems that I would most happy with a grand of at least around 5-1/2' and rated as level 3 by "The Piano Boook".

The level 3 pianos would be:

Kawai RX
Young Chang Pramberger Platinum

I was not impressed with Yahama nor Boston, and would get a Kawai RX before any of them as the Kawai is not more expensive, yet sounded and felt better. I did like the Pramberger and could see the possibility of getting it instead of the Kawai RX. And while the fancy finish on the Pramberger is fluff, it does look quite nice. With that said, I've always considered Young Chang to be a semi-cheapy brand, so I am a bit cautious about going that route, although some of the deals out there make me think that it may be worth it. If I couldn't find the perfect piano and price, I would be content settling for the Kawai RX.

On a side note, I have talked to dealer who has a Young Chang Platinum (not Pramberger) who says it is the same design as the Pramberger Platinum (and would seem to be a newer than the Pramberger.) Can anyone comment on this?

Of course, I would like to get into the level 2 pianos, but it seems that the only brands that would be anywhere near my price range would be the eastern Europeans:

Petrof
Vogel

I have heard a lot of good things from Vogel, and really like the idea that it's managed by Schimmel, which I have a lot of respect for. But I've called around and can't find anyone that actually has a Vogel 177, so I can't make a determination. I have played a Petrof V and was impressed. Of course, at regular prices, even a Petrof V is a bit out of my range. And nowdays, the Estonia is well outside my price range.

In my search, I have found a dealer that has a Petrof IV that is going for $15K, and I plan to check it out (it would be along the way feom Denver to Louisiana.) It is piano that was "sitting in a crate" for a 6-8 months, and then a demo on the floor for another year or so. The dealer doesn't know the model year - and seemed a bit uninterested in getting me this information as he says that "at this price, I don't feel like doing a lot of research".

Update: It seems that the piano was acquired by the dealer in mid 2004.

The piano is being sold as new, but the way I see it, it's buying a car that is last year's model, so it's like a used piano with a full warranty. But that's OK so long as I would be getting a deep enough discount, which it seems that I am. But then again, I recall there being another poster on this forum who had encountered a dealer that had a IV for only $14K I believe (maybe I an wrong) in which case the $14K may not be all that great of a deal.

So I guess my questions are how should I handle a new "old" pinao, and also, are there any known issues with Petrofs of this vintage.

I have also considered some of the new premium pianos coming out of China whose engineering is overseen by the elite European manufacturers (Brodmann, Steigerman Premium, Breitman), but haven't played any yet, and in any case would be a bit reluctant about the quality of manufacture and eventual resale value.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#250885 - 03/10/07 08:19 PM Re: my piano shopping experience and a new "old" Petrof IV
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi swampwiz, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've already done a lot of research and have a good sense of your criteria and budget.

The "buying a car that is last year's model" analogy doesn't really hold well with pianos, because the depreciation that happens with cars sitting on a lot and/or being demo cars doesn't really happen with pianos. A piano is new, period, until it is sold, no matter how many years it's been hanging around the dealership. And many of us would prefer a piano that's been at a dealer for a year than a brand new one out of the box, as it will have settled in during that time and will have greater tuning stability etc. All this is just a long-winded way of saying that you shouldn't be deterred by the fact that the Petrof IV was acquired in 2004.

However, you may want to be deterred by the fact that the dealer doesn't appear to be all that pleasant to deal with, and any salesperson who tells you that he doesn't "feel like doing a lot of research" (how much work is it to punch in a serial number at a website or look up the paperwork on it?), probably also didn't "feel like doing a lot" of piano maintenance and tuning. :rolleyes:

fwiw, I liked the Kawai RX series best of the models you mention. \:\)

#250886 - 03/10/07 08:34 PM Re: my piano shopping experience and a new "old" Petrof IV
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
swampwitz:

There are a lot of other quite interesting options out on the market today,
but I do not wish to become overly repetitive in terms where we ourselves see the perhaps strongest performers in your particular price range today.

Go and play as many pianos as you can find in your own area - what's available some place else and may or may not be superior, is a totally different question.....

Search nationally - buy locally....

Norbert ;\)

#250887 - 03/10/07 08:45 PM Re: my piano shopping experience and a new "old" Petrof IV
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
When thinking about lower priced pianos, including those with aspirations to be considered premium instruments, the most important aspect is quality control - which you expressed as oversight. (I'd add Heintzman to your list.)

Many of these pianos use identical or very similar components.

The second thing is a pre-purchase inspection by an experienced tech who has no affiliation with the seller. The tech can alert you to potential warranty issues.

These are cautions, only, and cannot replace auditioning pianos until you find one(s) whose tone is pleasing to your ears.

Monica Kern used a journal during her epic, multi-state search. It might be a good idea to make notes about what you like and don't like about each piano you audition - and its serial number.

Doing multiple auditions is a good idea. This may sound strange, but we do react differently on different days.

Room acoustics matter. A piano that sounds mellow/muffled in a fully carpeted showroom will sound clearer and more powerful in a room with hardwood floors.

Take your time, post your impressions, be patient. You'll get what you want.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (ajames, anotherscott, 36251, 47 invisible), 1791 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156226 Topics
2294384 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What do you think made you passionate about music/pianos?
by Spuds
49 minutes 59 seconds ago
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
Today at 08:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission