2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2508781 02/09/16 03:20 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Hi, everyone! My name is Yggor. I don't speak a very good english, then, sorry about that. I'm a piano beginner student and I want to buy a digital instrument. I've a doubt about these two models that have their prices on the limit I can pay for (they have almost the same price over here in Brazil):
1_Yamaha Clavinova 545; and
2_Roland HP 508;
I don't know about their qualities; I just know they have a "name", what isn't enough, of course.
I wouldn't know to identify small differences if I made tests by my own, because my ears have no enough training to do that.; I think beautiful all of their sounds.
Nowadays I realized, for one hand, Roland has 10 levels of sensibility, what approximates it of an acoustic piano (I guess so), for another hand, Yamaha has just 5 levels.
I don't have any interest about other funccions which comes with these instruments, only the piano funccion.
Please, I would be too much thankful and pleased if somebody could help me. I've got this ancient dream about studying piano and, to me, this is a huge decision.

Hugs.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Yggor,
Those are both excellent choices from very good companies. I personally prefer the action and sound on the roland, but many others would prefer the yamaha. It really comes down to a sense of personal preference. It's hard to tell which one you would find most suitable since you're a beginner. But the good news is that you'll adapt to whichever one you pick.

Do you plan to teach yourself, or do you plan to have a teacher? If the latter, your teacher might be willing to help you pick one out.

Warm Regards
smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
A
These are both fantastic pianos, perfectly good for you. You might also consider Kawai CA17 in the same price range if its available in your area.

They are really very different, but it's a question of taste in many ways.

Sensibility levels you mentioned have nothing to do with velocity/volume as I understand it, it's just different touch curves. You can largely ignore this characteristics for your purposes. If you absolutely can't evaluate those three pianos (CLP 545, Roland HP 508, Kawai CA17) in any other way just listen to the provided demos and decide which sounds better to your ears. You will be able to efficiently work on your skills with either of them.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, try a Kawai CN34/35... IMHO and for my taste, better key actions over roland and yamaha for a better price too. Cheers!.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . Nowadays I realized, for one hand, Roland has 10 levels of sensibility, what approximates it of an acoustic piano (I guess so), for another hand, Yamaha has just 5 levels. . .

The "number of "touch" levels" does not mean, what you think it means.

Any of those DP's will go from "ppp" to "FFF" (maybe only "pp" to "FF"), smoothly, with no "jumps" in volume, or tone quality.

You can learn to play piano with any one of them.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with Charles, the levels are related to the sensitivity of the keyboard : with a Light level, a mf will sound f or ff, on hard level the same mf will sound mp or p. But all tones could be produced, not only 5.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Roland may have 10 year guarantee in your countfy. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission