2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 57 of 95 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 94 95
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Grandman
Nordomus, is the string resonance pronouced at default? What about ambient and volume settings? Where do you have these at?

Volume at 70 and ambience at default, I think it's 2. String resonance default for me. Probably will play more with duplex scale, it gives interesting sound smile

Roland LX708
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Nordomus, is the string resonance pronouced at default? What about ambient and volume settings? Where do you have these at?

Volume at 70 and ambience at default, I think it's 2. String resonance default for me. Probably will play more with duplex scale, it gives interesting sound smile

I find when you twesk up the resonances (apart from soundboard and cabinet, which seem not to work) the ambience has to be reduced to get a decent balance. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
C
I'm interested to know what kind of tweaks lx and hp owners have made to the default sound. Which soundboard have you chosen? Is the default sound supposed to be optimized for tone with tweaks made solely for space issues? Please share ypur thoughts.
I am using soundboard 3 for both the Concert and the Mellow Grand. I find it gives a soft sound that I like but keeps the sound clear too. Other settings I have tweaked:

- lid fully open - this makes the sound more present and fuller
- hammer noise -1 or -2 - I found it too pronounced in the upper notes at higher settings
- damper noise almost off - I am not used to playing an acoustic grand so damper noise is not something I am familiar with hearing
- string and damper resonance I have left a little higher than default but not much. I think the default is about 4/10, and I have them at about 6, which is plenty for me.
- cabinet resonance - I have upped it to 7/10
- I have turned ambience down to 0 - the more I turned it up the more it sounded to me like the sound was in a different room to me, which disconnected me from the instrument
- brilliance is up to +3
- I have turned key touch down from 50% to 40%. I am finding it easier to play piano and pp at this setting
- speaker volume is at 80%, and headphone volume at 90%

I use headphones 95% of the time, so I have made these tweaks solely to improve my enjoyment of the sound and playability of the piano. Nothing to do with space or room issues.

Last edited by CPShines; 02/08/16 06:42 PM.

HP605
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by roytheboy
Thanks Jay, but you don't have to do it so urgently, or at all, in fact. Roland tech support in the UK should be dealing with this. Still, I'll be very interested to know in what way I am misunderstanding the manual.

We're all one big happy family who don't draw lines when it comes to making sure our customers are happy with their purchase. Happy to try to help you. My brothers and sisters at RUK are busy folks too. So I don't mind helping you out at all.

So when you select the overdub mode, you need to select the last song recording that you did. for instance if you did New Song 1 as your initial recording, you would use the + or - buttons to get back to that recording. When you hit the record button, by default the piano wants to start a new track.

Once this is done, you will see that the tracks that you've previously recorded should show under the track buttons as lit solid if you intend to play it back. The track that you're intending to record next should have a blinking button.

So if you start with recording the Left hand, and then go into overdub mode, the left button on the sequencer side should be lit solid and the right (or accomp) button should be blinking.

Hopefully this helps.

Jay

Industry Consultant
M
M
After messing up with the bluetooth for a couple of days, here is what I've found as a solution:

1. updated to 1.07
2. factory reset
3. on the ipad, under settings/bluetooth, cleared previous pairing on both LX-17 and LX-17 Audio (tap on "I" button and then Forget this device)
4. on the piano, turned on the bluetooth audio option and set the Turn, MIDI or both
5. on the piano, start pairing
6. on the ipad, first tap on LX-17 Audio then on LX-17, to connect
7. the piano display shows now both "audio" and "midi".

As I understood it, the "Audio" connection is the main connection and must always be active. MIDI or page turn connection is optional.

Audio connection is easy to test, just play some audio on the ipad. The sound is good.

I did not test page turning.

For the MIDI connection test, you need some apps. I tested the input line with the Synthesia :-) trial app. The app could see the piano immediately and use it as input. Then I tested the output line with the current version of the Roland Piano Designer App. Worked perfectly. Tried LX-17 440Hz Jazz settings - terrific, the best sound on a DP ever!

Roland LX-17, Hammond B3
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
We're all one big happy family who don't draw lines when it comes to making sure our customers are happy with their purchase. Happy to try to help you. My brothers and sisters at RUK are busy folks too. So I don't mind helping you out at all.

Thanks Jay; I appreciate your help. That is exactly as I understood it to be - in theory - but the piano simply records a new song every time. With your notes, I have just gone through the following process (there are now 29 existing songs in the internal memory):

1. Press 'Song'.
2. Select Int. Mem. 1: New Song, which is an unnamed recording of a Right (hand) track, that I want to add to.
Right button lights up; others are blank, as expected.
3. Press Play ('Enter') and song 1 plays as expected.
4. Press stop (square), then record (circle), and display shows 'new song'. There doesn't seem to be any other way of selecting anything other than 'new song'.
5. Press right arrow and display shows 'Overdub' on the top, and '1: New Song' underneath (note: '1').
At this point I expect to be overdubbing Song 1. The Right button is steady and the other two are flashing.
6. Deselect Accomp. The Right button is steady, the Left is flashing, Accomp. is blank.
The red Record light is on, the play light is flashing.
7. Press play. The metronome starts the intro; the Right plays as expected; I play/record the Left track.
8. Press stop (square). Display now shows '30: New Song'. Song 1 is still in the memory as the Right track only.

If I repeat the process to record the third track, or overdub an existing track, the piano saves it as (new) Song 31, leaving Song 1 and 30 in the memory. This is an advance on what I achieved before, because I didn't realise that a combined song was being saved as the new song; however, it is still confusing and unintuitive. Am I expected to now go back and delete songs 1 and 30 when all I wanted to do was to alter song 1? Do I have to do this every time I make an error overdubbing a single track?

I have spent a long time trying to work out what I'm doing wrong, but it is beyond me. How do I simply over-record a single track of an existing song without it creating a new song, leaving the original song to be deleted? It wouldn't be so bad if this whole process of creating and deleting songs wasn't so time-consuming using just a few tiny buttons.

As for your comments about your brothers and sisters at RUK: they would seem to be a different family. This is what should have happened within a day or two of my support ticket being raised...

RUK phone the customer (me) ... "Hi, I understand you're having problems overdubbing a song. Can you sit in front of the piano now so that I can talk you through the process?"

That would have taken five minutes, but it is now over one month later and whilst my bluetooth problems have been acknowledged, no one has addressed or even acknowledged my repeated questions about this recording issue.

Originally Posted by MilanP
For the MIDI connection test, you need some apps. I tested the input line with the Synthesia :-) trial app. The app could see the piano immediately and use it as input. Then I tested the output line with the current version of the Roland Piano Designer App. Worked perfectly. Tried LX-17 440Hz Jazz settings - terrific, the best sound on a DP ever!

Hi Milan P. Now that you have established a working MIDI BT connection, does it still work after you switch the DP and iPad off and then on again - and not just an indicated connection, but can you actually make a working, testable connection with an app? And does it still then work if you change the MIDI config from MIDI to MIDI+PT?

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Jay; I appreciate your help. That is exactly as I understood it to be - in theory - but the piano simply records a new song every time. With your notes, I have just gone through the following process (there are now 29 existing songs in the internal memory):

1. Press 'Song'.
2. Select Int. Mem. 1: New Song, which is an unnamed recording of a Right (hand) track, that I want to add to.
Right button lights up; others are blank, as expected.
3. Press Play ('Enter') and song 1 plays as expected.
4. Press stop (square), then record (circle), and display shows 'new song'. There doesn't seem to be any other way of selecting anything other than 'new song'.
5. Press right arrow and display shows 'Overdub' on the top, and '1: New Song' underneath (note: '1').
At this point I expect to be overdubbing Song 1. The Right button is steady and the other two are flashing.
6. Deselect Accomp. The Right button is steady, the Left is flashing, Accomp. is blank.
The red Record light is on, the play light is flashing.
7. Press play. The metronome starts the intro; the Right plays as expected; I play/record the Left track.
8. Press stop (square). Display now shows '30: New Song'. Song 1 is still in the memory as the Right track only.

It looks right now that the behaviour is in fact that each overdub starts a new song.

Which to me is a strange behaviour.

I'm going to compile some notes from this thread and get them in our piano guys hands so he can forward them off to the Piano Engineering Dept. Maybe we can get a change in the overdub function made for 1.08 or something like that.

Thanks Roy. Don't lose hope. It's customers like yourself that help us make improvements for all.

Jay

Industry Consultant
M
M

Hi Milan P. Now that you have established a working MIDI BT connection, does it still work after you switch the DP and iPad off and then on again - and not just an indicated connection, but can you actually make a working, testable connection with an app? And does it still then work if you change the MIDI config from MIDI to MIDI+PT?

Yes it worked after power off/on. The MIDI Icon on the piano was not immediately visible. But as I started the app it appeared.

After changing the MIDI mode to MIDI+PT the apps could not connect anymore. Changing back to initial mode (MIDI) and everything was ok again.

I could change the MIDI mode to MIDI+PT only after I removed the device from iPad and did the pairing again. After that the apps which need MIDI worked also in MIDI+PT mode.

Something else discovered: if the MIDI connection is active the auto turn off timer fails :-)

Roland LX-17, Hammond B3
Yes it worked after power off/on. The MIDI Icon on the piano was not immediately visible. But as I started the app it appeared.

Yes, this is what I found, which is contrary to what RUK are telling me that RJ found, before then blaming Apple. Forgive the cynicism and sarcasm just creeping in there!

After changing the MIDI mode to MIDI+PT the apps could not connect anymore. Changing back to initial mode (MIDI) and everything was ok again. I could change the MIDI mode to MIDI+PT only after I removed the device from iPad and did the pairing again. After that the apps which need MIDI worked also in MIDI+PT mode.

Although you are having more luck than me (maybe because you have 1.07), even this level of success is not particularly intuitive or convenient; nor is it just the domain of my HP605 anymore. More to the point, this is definitely not sounding like an 'Apple' issue to me. Are you getting this, Jay? ...more feedback for you to pass on up the line, seeing as RUK are obviously not the slightest bit interested. If I'm sounding ever more cheesed-off with them, it's because of the countless hours of my time I'm spending doing their jobs for them!

Something else discovered: if the MIDI connection is active the auto turn off timer fails :-)

Ah-ha! Very well spotted ...and again, Jay wink

H
H
Doesn't it make sense that the auto-off is deactivated with BT connected?
I have that use case: If I stream audio to the piano with closed cover I don't want it to shut-down automatically. It seems the piano does not distinguish between a BT audio or MIDI connection for the deactivation of the auto-off function - which might make sense if you use MIDI for streaming songs. To me it seems a wanted feature - not a bug.
On the downside you have to deactive BT on your mobile, if you want your DP to shut down. It does that on my DP.

Roland LX-7
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Can't people just turn off their own DP? I don't find it hard.

Originally Posted by holarb
Doesn't it make sense that the auto-off is deactivated with BT connected?
I have that use case: If I stream audio to the piano with closed cover I don't want it to shut-down automatically. It seems the piano does not distinguish between a BT audio or MIDI connection for the deactivation of the auto-off function - which might make sense if you use MIDI for streaming songs. To me it seems a wanted feature - not a bug.
On the downside you have to deactive BT on your mobile, if you want your DP to shut down. It does that on my DP.

The rights and wrongs of this behaviour are secondary, for unless it is explained in the manual as an expected behaviour, people like me will think their DP is faulty, especially when they also have bluetooth and track-recording problems too. I haven't tested to see if this is my issue, but it probably is. As it happens, I think it is a good feature, but would prefer it if the software could base its action on the presence, or not, of data being transferred, as opposed to a connection having been made. In software terms this is not rocket science. Whatever, I will feel much better if I know that my expensive DP is not faulty ...which has been my primary concern about all the issues I have had since purchase.

H
H
But two things I would like to have added:

1. Maybe its a user error, but I don't think so: if I shut down the DP the SMF volume is not stored but remains on max level when I restart. Also the setting of the volume seems not to work for me, no matter if I set to internal or external SMF.
2. I would like to have an option to select wether the last played instrument is stored. Now if you start the DP it uses always "Concert". Alternatively a setting with which instrument the DP shall start up is also OK.

I use f/w 1.07.

Last edited by holarb; 02/09/16 12:19 PM.

Roland LX-7
S
S
Doesn't the way it handles overdubbing make sense? Every time you record something new, you get a new file, even if it's an overdub; this way is preferable, since you can never through overdubbing lose anything that you've recorded, and any loss of a recorded performance only ever happens by you directly deliberately deleting files yourself.

For example, if I overdub a track I am absolutely happy with (my left hand bit) with a new part (my right hand bit) and I am 'semi-ok' with the results ("it'll do if I can't do it better in subsequent attempts or I can't work out a better variation of it") but I *do* want to see if I can make that new right hand bit better, I can (as it works now) again overdub the original (left hand only) song without losing either the original or the multitrack one I've decided I'm 'semi-ok' with.

You can therefore only ever 'lose' recorded performances by deliberately choosing to delete files. Just seems like 'non-destructive' overdubbing rather than 'oops I overwrote something I now want back' overdubbing. smile

Last edited by Statue; 02/09/16 12:38 PM.
Originally Posted by Statue
Doesn't the way it handles overdubbing make sense? ...

The whole point of a multi-track recorder/sequencer is that the original of each track remains unaltered unless you specifically over-record/overdub that track. Thus you can keep on making attempts to get the right-hand correct without losing the left-hand piece.

As it stands, every time you make an attempt at an overdub, you need to either keep a record of the new song number for whatever it is you are playing, or rename the new song, or both. You'll also need to make a record of the fact that all previous versions are now redundant and only there as archives. Thus you have quite a management task on your hands. Then you periodically need to go back through all your songs and delete all the redundant songs, which could be many if you took lots of attempts to get each track right. Again, you need to keep accurate records of everything you do if you don't want to get confused. Then there's the memory issue - how many versions of how many songs will it take to fill up your DP's memory chip?

Speaking with my software developer's hat on: it makes *far* more sense from a UX (usability) perspective *not* to record a complete new song with every change.

[edit:] Statue, that reads a bit dismissive of your opinion. I apologise for my tone.

Last edited by roytheboy; 02/09/16 02:06 PM.
O
O

I'm going to compile some notes from this thread and get them in our piano guys hands so he can forward them off to the Piano Engineering Dept. Maybe we can get a change in the overdub function made for 1.08 or something like that.

Jay

That would be great, Jay. Would you include auto display off feature (optional) and the option to store Piano Designer parameters with registration (optional) too? Thank you in advance.

Roland HP605
C
C
Originally Posted by ando

My exact thought smile

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Celdor

My exact thought smile

But it's haaaaard smile But seriously though it's just nice feature, of course it's not necessity but it's cool and makes it just a little more enjoyable

Roland LX708
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

smile smile

Roland V-Grand
Page 57 of 95 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission