Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
144 registered (agraffe, Alexander Borro, AprilE, Anne'sson, alerique, 34 invisible), 1756 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2509220 - 02/10/16 06:01 PM Introduction and Question about recording video/audio
Jen Weir Online   content

Loc: Corpus Christi TX
Hi everyone!

I have been lurking here for the past few weeks and figured it was time to come out of the shadows. I started playing again recently after about a 16 year hiatus. Mostly the hiatus was because of kids, job, grad school. I had forgotten how relaxing and enjoyable playing the piano is. I'm happy to rediscover my love for it.

I got a GoPro camera for Christmas, so I started making some Youtube videos. It's amazing how many errors/bad habits I can see in my playing in the videos, so I haven't posted too many yet, although I've posted many little 15 second snippets of me playing Vika Yermolyeva's covers on my Instagram (I am jencctx).

I'm using Audacity to record directly with a mixboard attached to my Korg C505 , and trying to time it as close as possible by pushing the record button on the camera at the same time as clicking "record" in Audacity. Then I use Windows MovieMaker to combine the two. It is kind of a clunky process, and my timing is rarely perfect at matching the audio and video. I was wondering what methods you use if you record yourself playing?

Thanks for any suggestions. I am happy to be here and enjoying reading all of your posts!
Jen

Piano & Music Accessories
#2509241 - 02/10/16 07:19 PM Re: Introduction and Question about recording video/audio [Re: Jen Weir]
Michiyo-Fir Offline

I currently record the piano with a DSLR on a tripod and the audio on a Zoom H1 recorder. Hoping to upgrade to an H6 soon though.

Since I have an acoustic piano I have to use some kind of recorder or mic as it doesn't have any digital output.

Then in audacity, I import the sound file from my video recording, and the sound file from my audio recorder and trim up the files so they sync. Once they sync up, I edit the audio recorder file and discard the video audio so the final result is the audio recorder sound file synced to my DSLR video.

#2509434 - Yesterday at 10:40 AM Re: Introduction and Question about recording video/audio [Re: Michiyo-Fir]

Thanks for responding! My camera lets me turn off the microphone, so I don't have that step of having to discard the audio file from the video file.

#2509735 - Today at 08:46 AM Re: Introduction and Question about recording video/audio [Re: Jen Weir]
JoBert Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By Jen Weir
Thanks for responding! My camera lets me turn off the microphone, so I don't have that step of having to discard the audio file from the video file.
I would recommend to leave the camera microphone on. The video editing program usually shows you the sound track as a wave form. So if you have both the wave form of the original sound track and the wave form of the track that was recorded with the additional audio recorder, then it is much easier for you to align this second sound track with the video. Because you can simply visually align the two wave forms (of the original and the additional sound track). After that, you can then discard the original sound track. If you don't have the original sound track to begin with (because you switched off the camera's microphone), then you have to align the aural sound track (by listening to it) with the visual video (by viewing it) which is much more of a hassle to get right.

EDIT: Actually, some video editing tools even have a feature to do this alignment of two sound tracks (that contain the same sound) for you, automatically. Which of course also only works if you leave the camera microphone on.

Edited by JoBert (Today at 08:49 AM)

My piano recordings on YouTube

#2509778 - Today at 10:43 AM Re: Introduction and Question about recording video/audio [Re: JoBert]

Oh, that's a good point. I turned off my camera microphone because I wear headphones and it was just recording background noise (like the tv that is constantly on). But, if syncing up the audio makes it an easier process, I'll just kick my family members off the tv and record with the camera mike on.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $5700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I promised myself I wouldn't post one of these but...
by gooddog
Today at 12:30 PM
Role of each sensor in a triple sensor system
by mezzopiano
Today at 12:14 PM
Strange tone an octave lower than note played
by DanS
Today at 11:50 AM
Roland KR-105 vs Yamaha YDP-223
by mamero
Today at 10:52 AM
Hi. I am new and a learner..
by JaydeesLaydee
Today at 10:21 AM
Forum Stats
82,560 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,438 Topics
2,494,672 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission