Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
86 registered (AZNpiano, ando, AZ_Astro, AprilE, 21 invisible), 1055 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2509244 - Yesterday at 07:27 PM Keith Jarrett Solo at Carnegie Hall 2/9/14
Dfrankjazz Online   content

Loc: NYC
Every time I've had the opportunity to see Keith play live I've been STUNNED anew. Nothing can prepare you to hear this man's playing. You think you remember how it sounds in general but when you hear him again live you realize your memory doesn't even come close to the reality of the sound you are hearing. As many times as I've been stunned by the freshness, beauty, originality, scope, breathtaking touch and control of the keyboard that he displays in every note, I must say that last night's concert left me COMPLETELY SHOCKED! Here is a man who is dimensions ahead of the closest human, qualitatively, quantitatively, in every way. It's as if a being from an utterly advanced civilization has dropped onto 7th Ave. I had images of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring concert, I thought the audience could just RIOT at any moment haha!

A good deal of this concert was utterly new sounding music. He also tells you what he is doing, musically, partially to help you to accept the sounds you are about to hear. Last night he said that he was totally tired of everything about traditional music - melody, harmony, etc. He said he was only interested in total dissonance, and that any time he felt a harmony resolving, he would get out of it immediately. He then IMROVISED a completely new music, someplace between tonality, atonality, and God-knows where. All played with that great top melody (sometimes in the middle), layer upon layer of perfectly textured and controlled sound, endless flows of rising and falling emotion, and deep feeling. The Divine perfectly represented in piano-sound.

In addition to the new music, he also played lots of boogies, blues, one ragtimey thing, wild vamps and a standard or two. Let's not talk about the tantrums which were heavy towards the end, (it's like a zig-zagging religious ceremony - first he blesses the audience, then he curses the audience (picture takers), then he blesses the audience again haha!- for they just mean nothing in the face of such display of beautiful sound.

If Keith is within 3000 miles of you giving a concert you won't be sorry that you made the effort to hear him. Lennie Tristano used to tell us that the piano was just a pile of JUNK -strings, bolts, etc., but when Bud Powell played it it was something else. Keith can take that junk and leave you breathless. Thanks Keith, have a cigar man!!

Edited by Dfrankjazz (Yesterday at 08:14 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#2509266 - Yesterday at 08:52 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Solo at Carnegie Hall 2/9/14 [Re: Dfrankjazz]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
Needless to say, you are a HUGE fan, and that is what colors your take on Mr. Jarrett. His talent aside, his disdain for his own fans leaves one in the position of shying away from his performances.

I KNOW you will enjoy this show and I am truly happy that your piano idol is still alive and performing. Mine has unfortunately passed on for many years.

But, Dave, if you so much as have the sniffles, a throat tickle, allergies that bring on a sneeze, please do yourself a favor and stay home, lest your are prepared to be cursed at by your idol.

Enjoy!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $5700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Audacity/Recording problems
by jotur
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Melville Clark Baby Grand- any info??
by Shell1250
Yesterday at 08:46 PM
Keith Jarrett Solo at Carnegie Hall 2/9/14
by Dfrankjazz
Yesterday at 07:27 PM
Introduction and Question about recording video/audio
by Jen Weir
Yesterday at 06:01 PM
Can't find information on Kimball piano
by cowgirl524
Yesterday at 05:56 PM
Forum Stats
82,540 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,400 Topics
2,494,144 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission