Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, alexii, anrpiano, ABC Vermonter, adrienschmitt, 37 invisible), 1290 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2510128 - 02/13/16 11:20 AM Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro
Giin Offline

Loc: Finland
In case anybody is pondering it I think the Surface Pro might actually be the best device out there for running VSTs. I recently pulled the plug on a Surface Pro 3 (i5/128gb) that was discounted to 650euros. Definitely goes in my top 10 of tech purchases.

At least with my small Yamaha digital the amount of space available on the top is nowhere near enough for a regular laptop. But the Surface without the keyboard has a footprint close to an iPad and you still get full PC hardware. Controlling the VST with the pen is easy enough and since mine is dedicated to the piano I rarely need the keyboard. Definitely recommend to check this out if you are on the market for a dedicated VST device.

And no, I don't work for Microsoft smile I am actually running Apple device across my entire househould, other than the piano, where I felt that dropping something like 1500 euros was a bit much and I really didn't have space for a MacBook on top of the piano.

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2510154 - 02/13/16 12:50 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
login Offline

I had a surface pro 1 and yeah it was quite good for this task. But care a lot of care with it, reapairs are very expensive.

#2510208 - 02/13/16 04:21 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
dmd Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By Giin
I recently pulled the plug on a Surface Pro 3 ...

Just as an aside ... When one says they "pulled the plug" they usually are inferring that they stopped doing something that was not working out very well.

What you did was "pull the trigger". That means you did something which you had been considering for a while.

It didn't really matter here because I think everyone understood what you mean't because of the rest of your post.

But, now you know ... anyway

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur

#2510246 - 02/13/16 06:21 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
But why do we read here (and elsewhere) so many cliched statements?
How is "I pulled the trigger" better than (or different from) "I bought"?

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2510249 - 02/13/16 06:29 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: MacMacMac]
JohnSprung Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By MacMacMac

Yes, we shouldn't expect the rest of the world to keep our American idioms sorted. It's not until someone mentions it that it becomes clear how non-intuitive the plug and the trigger are. ;-)

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2510274 - 02/13/16 07:54 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Funny thing ... just moments after I made that comment my daughter posted this on Facebook.

But aside from the difficulties experienced by newcomers to the language, I find it odd that native speakers find cause to overuse cliches even when speaking to native speakers.

Sadly, even journalists (and especially newscasters) overuse them, and even misuse them. And these are people who are (or should be) trained to know better. Sad.

#2510315 - 02/13/16 11:48 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: MacMacMac]
dmd Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By MacMacMac

"pulled the trigger" implies that you were considering the action and then decided to go ahead and do it.

"bought" simply relays the final result that you did it without the additional information that you were contemplating it for some time before making the decision.

Edited by dmd (02/13/16 11:49 PM)

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur

#2510319 - 02/14/16 12:09 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
Beakybird Offline

At least he didn't pull a fast one.

#2510331 - 02/14/16 01:30 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
Giin Offline

Hah yeah, I was actually aware of the difference between pulling the trigger and pulling the plug smile Simply a case of hands typing faster than the brain is processing.

In my defence, english is not my native language.

#2510384 - 02/14/16 07:03 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
stamkorg Online   content

In case anybody is pondering it I think the Surface Pro might actually be the best device out there for running VSTs. I recently pulled the plug on a Surface Pro 3 (i5/128gb) that was discounted to 650euros. Definitely goes in my top 10 of tech purchases.

At least with my small Yamaha digital the amount of space available on the top is nowhere near enough for a regular laptop. But the Surface without the keyboard has a footprint close to an iPad and you still get full PC hardware. Controlling the VST with the pen is easy enough and since mine is dedicated to the piano I rarely need the keyboard. Definitely recommend to check this out if you are on the market for a dedicated VST device.

And no, I don't work for Microsoft smile I am actually running Apple device across my entire househould, other than the piano, where I felt that dropping something like 1500 euros was a bit much and I really didn't have space for a MacBook on top of the piano.

Giin,
Can you specify the lowest buffer setting which gives you a stable system, without dropouts, and at whitch polyphony?
Thanks
SK

#2510385 - 02/14/16 07:09 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
dmd Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Hah yeah, I was actually aware of the difference between pulling the trigger and pulling the plug smile Simply a case of hands typing faster than the brain is processing.

In my defence, english is not my native language.

Absolutely ... I totally understand. I know only English, so hats off to you for handling two (or more) languages.

I just thought I would mention it so you would not continue to use that phrase incorrectly.

#2510386 - 02/14/16 07:26 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
Giin Offline

Stamkorg: I haven't been messing with VSTs long enough to be technically very savvy with them. I have Pianoteq and Ivory but currently I am only using Pianoteq, which I prefer over Ivory. That being said I had to install ASIO4ALL to get below 10ms latency which I felt noticeable. I am using a MusicStreamer II USB DAC which had no ASIO driver, which is the reason for ASIO4ALL. No idea if this is good or bad but it seems to work. After installing ASIO4ALL I was able to get 5.6ms with 256 samples at 44.1kHz and 48 note polyphony. I have a cheap Yamaha P45 keyboard that supposedly has 64 note polyphony, but 48 is what Pianoteq had as the default setting and I haven't felt the need to mess around with it.

I am unsure what a stable system means in this context but at 5.6ms I am unable to notice any lag and everything sounds quite nice. I am using Sennheiser HD800 headphones and high enough volumes that I think I would quite easily notice any artefacts in the sound. The reason I mention the headphones is that I am quite easily able to pick up things like people coughing on classical concert recordings from Spotify on them.

Edited by Giin (02/14/16 07:27 AM)

#2510398 - 02/14/16 08:59 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
Chewbacca Offline

Would anybody know if the USB power output on the Surface enough to power a VPC1?

Sounds like a good device if one wants to combine laptop + tablet (for scores).

Cheers,
C

#2510399 - 02/14/16 09:04 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Chewbacca]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Chewbacca
Would anybody know if the USB power output on the Surface enough to power a VPC1?

Cheers,
C
I haven't tried it, but so long as both devices comply with standards, there should be no problem.

#2510428 - 02/14/16 11:11 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
Giin Offline

Also the Surface Pro 3 (previous gen model, which is cheap to get now) only has one USB port. So you are going to have to get a USB hub anyways (well unless you use headphones directly connected to the Surface). Just get one that has it's own power source, and can output 10W, and you should be golden.

#2510518 - 02/14/16 02:38 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
stamkorg Online   content

Stamkorg: I haven't been messing with VSTs long enough to be technically very savvy with them. I have Pianoteq and Ivory but currently I am only using Pianoteq, which I prefer over Ivory. That being said I had to install ASIO4ALL to get below 10ms latency which I felt noticeable. I am using a MusicStreamer II USB DAC which had no ASIO driver, which is the reason for ASIO4ALL. No idea if this is good or bad but it seems to work. After installing ASIO4ALL I was able to get 5.6ms with 256 samples at 44.1kHz and 48 note polyphony. I have a cheap Yamaha P45 keyboard that supposedly has 64 note polyphony, but 48 is what Pianoteq had as the default setting and I haven't felt the need to mess around with it.

Thank you for these informations

#2510604 - 02/14/16 08:00 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: lolatu]
Chewbacca Offline

Originally Posted By lolatu

Cheers,
C
I haven't tried it, but so long as both devices comply with standards, there should be no problem.

Yeah that is what I am thinking too. And since the surface is a more versatile laptop (as opposed to a tablet on steroid) it should work.

Anyone would know of a good score editor for windows? (not to write music, but to put fingering / annotations and sort out a score collection, à la forscore for ipad).

Hmmm, this is getting me interested. I may be pulling the trigger myself at some point wink

Cheers,
C

Edited by Chewbacca (02/14/16 08:01 PM)

#2510605 - 02/14/16 08:11 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Chewbacca]
alerique Offline

Anyone would know of a good score editor for windows? (not to write music, but to put fingering / annotations and sort out a score collection, à la forscore for ipad).

There was quite a lot of fuss about this one, designed specifically for Surface. Don't know if it's good for your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PgKyqE3RU

#2511006 - 02/15/16 05:44 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: alerique]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By alerique

There was quite a lot of fuss about this one, designed specifically for Surface. Don't know if it's good for your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PgKyqE3RU

That seems to be specifically for writing scores, not editing existing PDFs etc. Looks interesting, but a shame it's too expensive ($70/£54) for someone like me who might just want to play around with it a bit.

For editing, I haven't found anything like Forscore for Windows (unfortunately), but my conclusion when I looked at it a couple of months ago ( link) was that on Windows 10 without a stylus, Adobe Reader DC was the best I could find (and it's free).

#2511121 - 02/16/16 12:31 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
kanefsky Offline

Anyone try Ivory Mobile Grand for iPad? It's on sale right now for only $35 ($20 for the Korg app plus $15 for the Ivory expanion module)

http://www.synthogy.com/index.php/news/i...module-ipad-app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-module/id932191687?ls=1&mt=8

--
Steve

#2511215 - 02/16/16 09:05 AM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: kanefsky]
newbert Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By kanefsky
Anyone try Ivory Mobile Grand for iPad? It's on sale right now for only $35 ($20 for the Korg app plus $15 for the Ivory expanion module)

http://www.synthogy.com/index.php/news/i...module-ipad-app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-module/id932191687?ls=1&mt=8

--
Steve

Yes. I have both the Korg Module and the Ivory expansion kit for iPad.

While I can't say it's as good as a full PC library, it IS surprisingly good and well worth the $$ IMO.

Disclosure: I use my PC VSTs much more than my iPad apps.

#2511792 - 02/17/16 01:52 PM Re: Thumbs up for Microsoft Surface Pro [Re: Giin]
Giin Offline

I actually prefer iGrand over the Korg+Ivory on iPad. Nothing on the iPad is in the same league as PC VSTs in my opinion however. This was one of my reasons for investing in the surface since I was not at all satisfied with the iPad options.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Why It's Impossible to Tune a Piano!
aka, why you should be nice to your tuner.
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bechstein in Jerusalem
by David-G
05/28/16 01:55 PM
Questions About Replacing Piano
by newbert
05/28/16 01:49 PM
Moving to ABRSM syllabus from Piano Adventures?
by TrevorM
05/28/16 10:28 AM
Overlapping arpeggios in Chopin's etude in A flat Op 25 No 1
by AndersJ
05/28/16 10:16 AM
I really want to learn the piano..where on earth do I start?
by Cozzie
05/28/16 09:32 AM
Forum Stats
83,794 Registered Members
44 Forums
172,989 Topics
2,528,637 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission