Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
68 registered (AZNpiano, 821, andyvn579, augustm, 16 invisible), 989 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2510147 - Yesterday at 12:29 PM Headphones for Digital Piano
moderhuske Offline

Hello guys,

I'm new here and I wanted to which headphones
are best for my Yamaha CLP-575. I'd also like
to use these headphones for listening to music (iPhone) etc.
My budget is around €400 which is about 450 dollar.
I'll also consider those above my budget so please share them.

Any advice?

(ad) SWEETWATER
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards
#2510151 - Yesterday at 12:46 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
A lot of us here like the Sennheiser HD 598.

Headphones are personal. It's always better to live with them for a week or two before you buy them, if that's possible.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5, Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2510163 - Yesterday at 01:36 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: Dave Horne]
moderhuske Offline

Thank you, I'm currently considering the new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear. I've read a lot of reviews, so I'm not doubting the sound quality for normal use. Wondering if anyone has used it for their digital piano? I'm not talking about the first Sennheiser Momentum, I've read those are not the best for digital piano's.

#2510177 - Yesterday at 02:18 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: Dave Horne]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By Dave Horne
A lot of us here like the Sennheiser HD 598.

I'd second this recommendation. Very comfortable for long periods. Easy to drive (will play loud with run-of-the-mill headphone amps such as those in digital pianos and iPhones). I don't think you need to spend as much as you think. The Senn HD-598s provide a very good price/performance/comfort benchmark that is hard to beat for your purposes.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2510185 - Yesterday at 02:49 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I didn't like the Senns. I do like Beyers. Lots of people here recommend AKGs.

But what should these opinions mean to you? NOTHING.

Try 'em, like 'em or dislike 'em, and buy what you like.
Recommendations don't mean much.

#2510193 - Yesterday at 03:06 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
Frédéric L Offline

Loc: France
I have an AKG K702 on my CLP150. It is fine, BUT, I have to dial the volume at 100% to use them: they are not easy to drive. (I have tried a cheap headphone amp, Behringer MA400... But it is unusefull. I guess it is sold as a LINE-to-easy-to-drive-headphone and I should pay 100€ min. for a real amp).

#2510233 - Yesterday at 05:28 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
TimPoe Offline

I like the fairly inexpensive Grado SR-60s. They're open ear, so they won't be completely quiet (and never use them with a mic sending the signal back to the headphones), but you'll still be able to hear room around you. For a lighter, more work-out friendly over the ear headphone, I like the Koss Porta-pros.

I have tried much more expensive ones from a number of brands, especially in my audio engineering days, but for personal use I rather like the not-too-costly Grados (and Kosses for listening while being active).

#2510256 - Yesterday at 06:46 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
f3r Offline

Loc: Italy
Saying the budget is not enough.
Open, Semi-Open, Closed?
On-Ear, Over-Ear?
Sound signature: flat, warm, bass-heavy, piercing highs, etc?

We can suggest you anything but that doesn't mean you will be satisfied with the choice.
The best thing you can do is to try different pairs if you have the chance.

I stick with cheap stuff...

I have a pair of Superlux HD-681 EVO, price around 30-40€. Bassy, warm sounding, semi-open headphones. I didn't really want this sound signature (although I saw the graphs). On a forum there were people talking about how balanced they were... in another almost everyone pointed out the bass emphasis. A bit of simple mods and here comes the treble. Overall they do sound good, but I would suggest these for the bassheads and those who like a warm sound signature.

The new HD-662 EVO are the closed version at the same price; apparently they're better than the 681... after some very easy mods they are very good.

Kawai CA97 | YouTube Channel

#2510289 - Yesterday at 08:43 PM Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
mcoll Offline

Loc: Europe
Although they're ridiculously cheap compared to your budget, I'm also a happy owner of the Superlux HD-681 EVO mentioned above (priced at 29 euros / 33$). People with 200-300 euros headphones have listened to them and concluded they sound surprisingly good for the price.
I also feel they have a dark sound, unfortunately bought them based on reviews and a preference for the style/package (detachable cables, velour pads), only having tried other similar models from Superlux and Samson (same stuff) but with different sound characteristics. With a little modding they become a bit more open and balanced, but I still plan on getting the Samson SR-850 as well, which sound a lot more open and better balanced, better suited for classical, jazz and playing the piano.
Both are semi-open and are relatively easy to drive so the can be used with a phone as well.
If you're willing to experiment, you might discover these will easily please you, before spending a couple of times more than this.
Wish I could've tried some Grados as well, since I keep hearing about them, but they're not easy to come by in this part of the world, and they still cost 2-3 times more even for their cheapest offerings.

#2510346 - 27 minutes 7 seconds ago Re: Headphones for Digital Piano [Re: moderhuske]
Hendrik42 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
After starting with 30-40 EUR Sennheiser HD 205, I switched to Sennheiser HD 598 on Christmas. I did not test much. They were recommended here and they were on sale just before Christmas and that sealed it. They are a whole other dimension than the HD 205. I am really happy that I have them.

Now I know that the HD 205 actually do DPs a disservice, they add "brilliance" in the middle to high end that does not help.

So if you want to compare, it is quite important that you compare on DPs or at least with music created on DPs I think. So if you can not test them at home, bring a recording of something that you played at home.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $5700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cold hands? Rub wrists!
by Cinnamonbear
02/13/16 11:02 PM
PROBLEMS WITH NEW PIANOS...
by Norbert
02/13/16 08:19 PM
Practice
by ee375
02/13/16 07:30 PM
Moskowski F major op 72 6 vs Chopin op 25 12?. Which is more
by rov
02/13/16 03:58 PM
Boston 118 Piano?
by Kenan
02/13/16 03:58 PM
Forum Stats
82,584 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,485 Topics
2,495,152 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission