Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
82 registered (821, 36251, Brometeo, Ben_NZ, beeboss, 21 invisible), 1213 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2510202 - Yesterday at 03:52 PM Need Recommendations
jimpeggins Offline

Hi all, Recently decided to get into playing the piano, However I dont have the space or the money for an actual piano yet. Looking at keyboards currently and having trouble deciding. My Price range is anything under $300, since im new I figure Ill just learn on something pretty basic, that being said Im still looking for something with decent sound. I only care for the piano sounds in the keyboard. I dont care for all the other stuff.

I was looking at the Yamaha NP-V60 but was seeing some people are saying it sounds the same as the other ones (NP-31, NP-11). Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Thanks for your help

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2510216 - Yesterday at 04:44 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
Doug M. Offline

With such a limited budget, I suggest you consider something secondhand that would allow you 88 keys, preferably weighted.

#2510217 - Yesterday at 04:49 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
cathryn999 Offline

Loc: Australia
What country and state do you live in?

#2510226 - Yesterday at 05:01 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: Doug M.]
jimpeggins Offline

I've seen alot of suggestions about weighted keys. Are they really that important? Im brand new to piano btw

(ad) SWEETWATER
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards
#2510227 - Yesterday at 05:07 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: cathryn999]
jimpeggins Offline

Im from the US, And I could Probably go up to $360 but that's about it for right now, I am okay with used, or open box if need be.

Like I said, Im a beginner so it doesnt have to be super fancy, Just something that plays nice and has good sound to it. I only care for the piano sound, well because its what im trying to learn.

#2510228 - Yesterday at 05:09 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By jimpeggins
I've seen alot of suggestions about weighted keys. Are they really that important? Im brand new to piano btw

Get a teacher who can give you one on one advice.

You can teach yourself music theory but it really helps to have another person standing next to you teaching you how to play.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5, Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2510232 - Yesterday at 05:26 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: Dave Horne]
Charles Cohen Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Yes, "weighted keys" are important, if you intend to play piano, rather than synth or organ.

I checked the GuitarCenter.com website -- there's a clearance on Casio PX-150, $400. It has 88 weighted keys, and a better sound generator than anything in the Yamaha "Piaggero" series.

It is also "feature-poor" compared to the NP-V30. I think it has rhythms, but I know it has a limited set of voices. But it will do you much better as a digital _piano_.

If you want to play piano, and you don't _need_ really light weight, I'd urge you to find a used DP with 88 weighted keys. Casio PX-150 and Yamaha P105 are recently-discontinued models with good reports here. You should be able to find one either within your budget, or with a bit of stretching.

I know -- this falls into "I don't care what you want me to compare for you, here's a whole different way to solve your problem and spend your money!"

If you _know_ you're going to replace your initial keyboard in a short time, and you're _really_ tight on cash, one of the other Piaggero models (e.g. NP-11) might be a bit less expensive than the V60. Only 61 keys, and basic features.

All these pianos are limited by their amps and speakers. A Piaggero playing through a good PA system, or good headphones, sounds way better than playing through its own loudspeakers.

PS -- edit -- GuitarCenter.com also has a used Yamaha NP31 (76-key Piaggero) for $200.

Edited by Charles Cohen (Yesterday at 05:34 PM)

#2510282 - Yesterday at 08:24 PM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: Charles Cohen]
jimpeggins Offline

Between the NP-11, NP- 31, NP-V60. Are there any difference in the sound of the piano? I plan on playing whatever one I decide on for about a year or two. Depending on how my progress goes I'll either stick with that keyboard or move up to something higher quality maybe around $600/$700. But that's in a few years time. Thank you for your help on this I really appreciate it, nobody else seems to want to help a beginner. Not even Yamaha lol

#2510350 - Today at 04:07 AM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Forget about the NP11 and 31 if you are starting out and want to learn 'piano'. They are like toys, and your enthusiasm will not last "a few years time". The NPV60 is so-so. Charles is right a used PX150, P35, P105 may be within budget and is much much better to start on. If your goal is synth, or keyboard, OK, maybe start with the NP11/31.

#2510356 - Today at 04:46 AM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
Hendrik42 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
jimpeggins, I am a beginner and I have checked out keyboards (for travel, not for home), and as others have said: if you want to learn piano, get something with "weighted keys"/"hammer action". It is a whole different experience than a keyboard.

I'd get a used/refurbished Casio PX model or a Yamaha P35/45/105. And I'd rather save on latte's etc. for a few months than go with a keyboard. It is really a big difference.

Do not worry too much about sound. When you can afford them, you can get nice headphones or monitor speakers later. Also, if the keyboard comes with MIDI out (important, I think, but may cost extra), you can drive a software piano on your laptop or PC with it. For example, Pianoteq has a trial version that already models a better piano than most DPs.

#2510372 - Today at 05:46 AM Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
Frédéric L Online   content

Loc: France
"Also, if the keyboard comes with MIDI out". All digital piano have a MIDI out or a USB plug (more and more USB), and they are equivalent if you want to connect a PC with a virtual piano.

#2510387 - 19 minutes 6 seconds ago Re: Need Recommendations [Re: jimpeggins]
Giin Online   content

Loc: Finland
I have a Yamaha P45 which is something like 450 euros I think. It has a fairly fast action which isn't horrible compared to my reference (Kawai MP10, which I don't have anymore). Obviously the Kawai action is at a different class and the P45 is really light/fast to play compared to any acoustic I've tried. So I feel this is something that will last me maybe a year of playing after which I will upgrade to a better action.

It seems that at this price point you can get a decent(ish) action with a cheap plastic build and really poor speakers. The speaker issue can be solved by investing a bit in headphones. I don't hate the onboard sounds on the P45 but I also don't feel they are anything to write home about. Luckily the P45 has a USB midi out so I am using Pianoteq on my laptop, which makes it sound fantastic. The P45 also has no output for external speakers, so if you want a decent speaker sound out of it you need to use a computer and something like Pianoteq (any buy the speakers).

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $5700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Polyester repair question.
by sescott
Today at 05:56 AM
Cold hands? Rub wrists!
by Cinnamonbear
Yesterday at 11:02 PM
PROBLEMS WITH NEW PIANOS...
by Norbert
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
Practice
by ee375
Yesterday at 07:30 PM
Moskowski F major op 72 6 vs Chopin op 25 12?. Which is more
by rov
Yesterday at 03:58 PM
Forum Stats
82,584 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,490 Topics
2,495,192 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission