2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2510202 02/13/16 04:52 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi all, Recently decided to get into playing the piano, However I dont have the space or the money for an actual piano yet. Looking at keyboards currently and having trouble deciding. My Price range is anything under $300, since im new I figure Ill just learn on something pretty basic, that being said Im still looking for something with decent sound. I only care for the piano sounds in the keyboard. I dont care for all the other stuff.

I was looking at the Yamaha NP-V60 but was seeing some people are saying it sounds the same as the other ones (NP-31, NP-11). Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Thanks for your help

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
With such a limited budget, I suggest you consider something secondhand that would allow you 88 keys, preferably weighted.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What country and state do you live in?

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
J
OP Offline
J
I've seen alot of suggestions about weighted keys. Are they really that important? Im brand new to piano btw

J
OP Offline
J
Im from the US, And I could Probably go up to $360 but that's about it for right now, I am okay with used, or open box if need be.

Like I said, Im a beginner so it doesnt have to be super fancy, Just something that plays nice and has good sound to it. I only care for the piano sound, well because its what im trying to learn.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jimpeggins
I've seen alot of suggestions about weighted keys. Are they really that important? Im brand new to piano btw

Get a teacher who can give you one on one advice.

You can teach yourself music theory but it really helps to have another person standing next to you teaching you how to play.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Yes, "weighted keys" are important, if you intend to play piano, rather than synth or organ.

I checked the GuitarCenter.com website -- there's a clearance on Casio PX-150, $400. It has 88 weighted keys, and a better sound generator than anything in the Yamaha "Piaggero" series.

It is also "feature-poor" compared to the NP-V30. I think it has rhythms, but I know it has a limited set of voices. But it will do you much better as a digital _piano_.

If you want to play piano, and you don't _need_ really light weight, I'd urge you to find a used DP with 88 weighted keys. Casio PX-150 and Yamaha P105 are recently-discontinued models with good reports here. You should be able to find one either within your budget, or with a bit of stretching.

I know -- this falls into "I don't care what you want me to compare for you, here's a whole different way to solve your problem and spend your money!"

If you _know_ you're going to replace your initial keyboard in a short time, and you're _really_ tight on cash, one of the other Piaggero models (e.g. NP-11) might be a bit less expensive than the V60. Only 61 keys, and basic features.

All these pianos are limited by their amps and speakers. A Piaggero playing through a good PA system, or good headphones, sounds way better than playing through its own loudspeakers.

PS -- edit -- GuitarCenter.com also has a used Yamaha NP31 (76-key Piaggero) for $200.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 02/13/16 06:34 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
OP Offline
J
Between the NP-11, NP- 31, NP-V60. Are there any difference in the sound of the piano? I plan on playing whatever one I decide on for about a year or two. Depending on how my progress goes I'll either stick with that keyboard or move up to something higher quality maybe around $600/$700. But that's in a few years time. Thank you for your help on this I really appreciate it, nobody else seems to want to help a beginner. Not even Yamaha lol

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Forget about the NP11 and 31 if you are starting out and want to learn 'piano'. They are like toys, and your enthusiasm will not last "a few years time". The NPV60 is so-so. Charles is right a used PX150, P35, P105 may be within budget and is much much better to start on. If your goal is synth, or keyboard, OK, maybe start with the NP11/31.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
jimpeggins, I am a beginner and I have checked out keyboards (for travel, not for home), and as others have said: if you want to learn piano, get something with "weighted keys"/"hammer action". It is a whole different experience than a keyboard.

I'd get a used/refurbished Casio PX model or a Yamaha P35/45/105. And I'd rather save on latte's etc. for a few months than go with a keyboard. It is really a big difference.

Do not worry too much about sound. When you can afford them, you can get nice headphones or monitor speakers later. Also, if the keyboard comes with MIDI out (important, I think, but may cost extra), you can drive a software piano on your laptop or PC with it. For example, Pianoteq has a trial version that already models a better piano than most DPs.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"Also, if the keyboard comes with MIDI out". All digital piano have a MIDI out or a USB plug (more and more USB), and they are equivalent if you want to connect a PC with a virtual piano.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
G
G
I have a Yamaha P45 which is something like 450 euros I think. It has a fairly fast action which isn't horrible compared to my reference (Kawai MP10, which I don't have anymore). Obviously the Kawai action is at a different class and the P45 is really light/fast to play compared to any acoustic I've tried. So I feel this is something that will last me maybe a year of playing after which I will upgrade to a better action.

It seems that at this price point you can get a decent(ish) action with a cheap plastic build and really poor speakers. The speaker issue can be solved by investing a bit in headphones. I don't hate the onboard sounds on the P45 but I also don't feel they are anything to write home about. Luckily the P45 has a USB midi out so I am using Pianoteq on my laptop, which makes it sound fantastic. The P45 also has no output for external speakers, so if you want a decent speaker sound out of it you need to use a computer and something like Pianoteq (any buy the speakers).

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, try a Casio Px150/160, it has a faster key action than Yamaha P45 and a tri sensor for better repetition too... all for only $500. Cheers!...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I second Charles's suggestion for a PX150 - 400$ is a very good deal and that model is maybe the cheapest that will allow you to learn to play the piano. If you want to play keyboard, that's another discussion, but you can't learn how to play piano on a keyboard and all the stuff you were looking at will not help you.
You will thank your self for having gone for the PX150 as opposed to those. You can look for a used one as well (but don't go for other older or weaker Casio models such as the PX130, CDP220, they have a different action and aren't worth half of the 400 price tag of a new PX150).
I also think that's your best bet that's close enough to your budget. If you don't have a proper instrument, you won't be so eager to play it and it's a good recipe for quitting, and even if you wouldn't quit, you'd just develop bad habits which will make it close to impossible to properly play the piano further down the line.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Jimpeggins,
Guitarcenter.com has the Casio CDP130 listed for $300. The PX150 deal for $400 is a much better piano if you can stretch your budget a bit, but if not the CDP130 is perfectly acceptable as a piano to learn on (and it's within your budget). It has 88 fully weighted keys and onboard speakers (not all digital pianos have speakers, you need to either buy separate speakers or headphones). Those two are your best options in that price range (in my opinion).

warm regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Jimpeggins,
Guitarcenter.com has the Casio CDP130 listed for $300. The PX150 deal for $400 is a much better piano if you can stretch your budget a bit, but if not the CDP130 is perfectly acceptable as a piano to learn on (and it's within your budget). It has 88 fully weighted keys and onboard speakers (not all digital pianos have speakers, you need to either buy separate speakers or headphones). Those two are your best options in that price range (in my opinion).

warm regards

Good suggestion, the CDP120 too is decent for a beginner.

J
OP Offline
J
Say I have a tight budget right now, I've never played piano and am brand new to it. Right now, I just need something that sounds decent for my price range and doesn't feel cheap. Learning on anything is better than just sitting around with nothing. I understand weighted keys are important but they do up the price quite a bit, I shall try to save up for a P45 most likely.

In the event Im not able to, What keyboard would be recommended under $400? I will most likely stay on my keyboard, I will never invest in an actual Piano.

My goal here is to learn music and play these songs I've listened to for so long, Im aware I'll be taking baby steps for awhile. But eventually I trust I'll have them down on the keyboard, And maybe when I go over a friends house or somewhere else and there is an ACTUAL piano I can still play these songs (despite the weighted keys). Maybe not with as much ease but still to be able to.
I appreciate the help and recommendations from everyone Thank you

J
OP Offline
J
If I cant get something with actual weighted keys, is there something that comes close to it? Like is there semi weighted?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Is there some reason for you to ignore the two excellent casio recommendations (with fully weighted keys), which also happen to have a very attractive price?
There are some beautiful recordings of music made by guys here on the forum with the PX150 and it can help you to learn piano properly. I think Alexander Borro is one of them, but I apologise if my memory is playing tricks on me. Or I think it was a guy, Andrei, but I can't remember his full name. It was a slavic name, I believe.
As for your question about keyboard vs piano, if what you wish (your goal ultimately) is to play piano, many would argue that learning something bad is worse than not learning at all. It's the same as in sports with bad habits, maybe more critical. I've always compared keyboards, wellwell, to computer keyboards. They feel more like that than like actually playing piano as far as I'm concerned. Not such an issue for keyboardist, but it won't help you play piano, maybe quite the contrary.
Happily, the two casios are both in your price range, and despite the fact that I consider the PX150 well worth the extra hundred, I personally know an old acoustic player who was very pleased with the cdp220 as well (he got it for 250$ new, from the shop, unbeatable price), so do consider them properly.

Last edited by mcoll; 02/15/16 02:56 AM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
OK -- inexpensive synth-action keyboards . .. . .

There's a popular Yamaha "PSR" series of synth-action keyboards with built-in rhythms and (I think in most models) "intelligent" backing tracks. The cheapest of them isn't "touch-sensitive", and touch-sensitive keys is a feature that you _really_ need.

The Yamaha PSR-E443 (well above "bottom of the line") has 61 touch-sensitive keys, costs about $250 online. Lots of different sounds, rhythms, accompaniment styles. In the low-cost "digital keyboard" range, it's not a bad choice.

61 keys is as small a keyboard as you should get, IMHO. It'll let you play pop, and a fair bit of jazz. If you get serious, you may want to replace it -- but you know that already. It's light, easy to carry around.

Take a look in Costco -- they might carry either Yamaha or Casio keyboards. Their prices are quite competitive.

And when I checked:

Costco (online) will sell you a Yamaha DGX-230 package (keyboard / stand / headphones) for $300. 76 touch-sensitive keys, lots of features. That includes some built-in learning software.

. . . it's a reasonable deal.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission