2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #41!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #41 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #41 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I'll start a more systematic set of comments tomorrow, but I just had to say a few words about the entry I was most looking forward to hearing: CarlosCC, your arrangement of "Night" was absolutely superb!! I'd have to listen to the two back to back more closely, but to my (imperfect) memory, you've done an incredible job of transcribing and mastering Einaud's "Carpark" session arrangement of the piece. I love the delicacy of your arpeggios. Bravo!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have successfully downloaded the first two zip files and am listening to the first 14 pieces. Wow - what an incredible set of pieces. Delightful work everyone!

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 02/15/16 12:35 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I had time to listen to the first zip and indeed great playing from everyone as always.

01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4

Very enjoyable! You maintain the calm and mystic mood of this piece so well.

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6

Nice piece and playing! I think it's all there. Would be even better if you could get it a little bit more "fluid" and softer, especially in the left hand. Maybe experiment with more pedal and more "romantic flare"? But I know that some pianos are really difficult to record without sounding very accented.

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4

Well done! Lovely melody. I personally like the left hand chords to be shaped more by dynamics while keeping the pulse quite steady, but I think with this piece we all feel differently.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall
Very nice song and very nice played. I enjoyed this to the last note. Just figuring out how long do you play, and if it would be a possible next piece for me?

11. MeganR - Minuet In G BWV Anh 114
Hello Megan. As a 2 years learner I know how hard this is. I have the same piece in this recital. If I listen to this one I would say. Try to add more dynamics (louder/more quit), but hey I am no expert myself :-) Nicely played.

13. Medden - Simon - Prelude Op 28 No 15
Impressive, after only 2 years of playing

46. blackjack1777 - Days of Wine and Roses
Very nice for less than 2 years of playing. Can you point me to the sheet music you used for this?

52. Alexander Borro - Underwood
You play this very delicate and lovely. So lovely that I suspect you from having played piano or another instrument as a child, didn't you?

56. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in B minor, Op. 69 No. 2
What a fine piece of music. I definitely have to get a Chopin book, with his more accessible pieces.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Crikey, is it out already? I better get listening!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am so loving listening to everyone. Just some quick notes on random tracks I've clicked on:

@EarlofMar - Just beautiful. Never mind Bach, this is where you're at, I can totally "hear" you feeling the music.

@AZ-Astro - WOW! So plaintiff. Makes me see scenes from my childhood. Thank you (I am definitely learning this one and hope to play is as expressively and well as you)

@CasinItaly - love the avatar! and love the song!

@Alexander Borro - I'm not familiar with Einaudi's work but I know there's lots of people here who sing the praises his (or her?) praises and I'm fairly sure this piece does Einaudi proud. This is just lovely, reminds me of of the Bach Prelude in C major (WTK). Some really lovely pp(p) in there. Thanks :-)

@Dynamobt - what can I say? Stunning. So emotional, such clear expression, makes me want to learn this piece. Absolutely beautiful.

@Underconstruction - Great song! Thanks! Great rhythm, really clear articulation, makes me want to get up and dance. Love the bass / left hand. Thank you!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
I'll start a more systematic set of comments tomorrow, but I just had to say a few words about the entry I was most looking forward to hearing: CarlosCC, your arrangement of "Night" was absolutely superb!! I'd have to listen to the two back to back more closely, but to my (imperfect) memory, you've done an incredible job of transcribing and mastering Einaud's "Carpark" session arrangement of the piece. I love the delicacy of your arpeggios. Bravo!

What a great way to start my day! Thank you so much Monica. I can do a kind of guide once this version is too too easy to play - easiest than the original score -. Thank you thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've started listening to the submissions at work and are a bit more than 1/3 through (very nice playing!), but I'll have to re-listen to everything before commenting, because here at work I have to keep the volume low, and also I want to wait until Monica has sorted out the forum problems, so that I can see what everyone wrote into his/her piece's comments section.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
M
M
Originally Posted by johan d
Impressive, after only 2 years of playing

Actually it's been 3 years and 3 months now. I hit a wrong note on the submission form! I think my web browser tries to auto-fill the boxes with stuff I've typed before.
I've requested Monica to update it if possible.
Thanks for the kind comments.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Some entries to get things going, the luxury of working from home today, pump up the volume, and you know what that means, listening to a few pieces. smile

1 Earlofmar

One of my facs in the gnossienes. Listened to it many times and you do it real justice. You are makign real progress as far as I can hear. I always recall you signature about piano being like an endurance sport. Looks like you are taking the training head on and working hard. I've wondered about having crack on this one, it is on one of my books somewhere. Lovely job.

2 Inlanding

Another fantastic entry of technical prowess, wish to play that sorta thing one day. btw always enjoy your tunes in the piano bar too. Aother great one of yours.

4 MarieJ

Never heard it before by Eianudi, and I've heard many by now, but not the film soundtracks. I think this is your best one yet by Einaudi from the last few recitals I heard you play in. Wonderful expression and phrasing in it. I must check it out at some stage and add to the list.

I find, thing is with Einaudi, there is no such thing as making select list. Once you start you want to play them all at some point.

As you say delicacy is key with so many of his pieces as I am learning, but not always as I am finding too. He explorers a lot of dynamics and is quite a challenge. I also had orbits on the go as well as a few others running up to the recital. I do some key bashing in some parts in orbits laugh

In a time lapse is a wonderful album, I got the hard copy book for Xmas, been trying quite a few of the pieces in it ever since and hard to get away from it.

5 Peyton

Wonderful composition and sonic details, that piano has some lovely ping too. What more can I say. Great great stuff.

7 AZ_Astro

One of my favourites of Chopin and pulling it off with confidence. I tried it a few times for the fun of it , there was that study group about it the other day discussing it.
Those big chords in the middle are a nightmare whenever I tried it anyway, you sail through it no problem laugh
I like your version a lot, there are many different interpretations of this I heard by now. Very hard piece to get the feel of it. Call yourself proud.

11 Megan_R and 22 Johan_D

I like this piece a lot. Had a few crack on it too, not for a while and enjoyed playing it, though for some reason whenever when I play it I just want to switch to a harpsichord in a lot of those minuets and then like them even more.

Great efforts both and thanks for sharing.

Johan_D

Thank for listening. Indeed I dabbled with a lot of other instruments since a child. age 6 - 12 or so recorder. I had serious lessons then from an excellent teacher. Trumpet around ages 18 - 22 , had some lessons too, but teacher not very good. By my early twenties I never had lessons since, you know life 'n' all, education, Uni. Jobs, Guitar self taught for quite a few years, and played the bagpipes for a bit too. Mainly just a lot of jamming and having fun for many years, and then 20 or more years of nothing or so.

Now back to it on an instrument I realised I always wanted to play, but never got around to it.

Cathryn,

Thank you so much. I was a bit under the weather when I played that, probably helped to make it even more soothing than usual , good to go to sleep to as well laugh

There are a few versions out there, and approaches he takes with this piece I heard on youtube and places as well as hearing the original, but the i tunes festival version particularly appealed to me which is what I sort of went for. In many parts the most delicate of his for this piece. Good spot, Quite a bit of Una corda in parts as well.

btw seeing you mention it, I love the Bach prelude, that I will share in the recital one day, no doubt it. Having an Einaudi phase, of course I will always play Einaudi from here on out, but there is so much other stuff out there I am working on too on and off and love to play.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 02/15/16 12:44 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#57. Underconstruction- Lot's of fun to listen to (and watch). Now…WHY did you put that under "comedy" on your channel? smile

56. Moonshine- Well i'm glad i'm not the only one that things he put up a train track…:) But me thinks you're being a bit tough on yourself. Yea, you're not "there" yet but you are far enough along for the listener to enjoy it.

55. Carlos88- Intriguing! You have a great feel for this bizarre work.

Wow! What a great way to start my morning! A cup of tea accompanied by beautiful piano. Being a complete beginner you guys have provided a lot of inspiration. Thank you all so much for sharing your talent.

Started Alfred's All in One Dec. 21, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a chance to listen to the first 20 this evening. I am simply amazed at the quality presented. Here are my first reviews:

01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4 Really nicely done. I like the pacing you give it. You have definitely captured the Satie ephemeral felling. Your piano sounds gorgeous.

02. Inlanding - Glen - Solfeggietto Wow your presto is really presto, yet you have great clarity. Really nicely done.

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6 I love this piece! It is on my to do list too. You have really nice expression in the piece. Your teacher muct be very picky. It sounds like you have a great start on the piece.

04. MarieJ - Writing Poems I have not heard this Einaudi piece before. You give it a gentle touch, making it very soothing. Very nicely played.

05. Peyton - A Play on Words Beautiful Composition! It has a mixture of moods, at time forlorn and at times hopeful. The faster middle section holds troubled emotions, something unresolved, yet the piece ends in peace. Beautiful playing!

06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall This beautiful piece is new to me. I like your arrangement, and the gentle touch you give the piece.

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4 Really nice rendition or this gorgeous piece. It sounds like you have made it your own. I really liked how you handled the climax, and how you paced it to the end.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered This is a very interesting piece. I would think it difficult to give it such a beautiful, melodic treatment. You did a fantastic job with it. Beautifully done.

10. Monica K. - High Heels You play Einaudi so beautifully. I like how you pace the piece, giving it moments to reflect.

11. MeganR - Minuet In G BWV Anh 114 You have captured the joyous nature of this little minuet very well. Very nice musical expresssion.

12. JoBert - The Hobbit - Theme Wow! What a great story! The Hobbit led you back to your love of piano. You did a wonderful job on this, I really enjoyed it. Welcome back to the wonderful world of piano!

13. Medden - Simon - Prelude Op 28 No 15 I love this piece. Someday I will actually get around to playing. You did a lovely job with it. I like the pacing that you give it. You handle the LH repeated note very well, varying its tone to match the right hand melody. You bring out the drama in the last section very well.

14. briangmoore - Chopin, Prelude 6 I love this prelude as well. You have captured the searching quality of it very well.

15. BrianDX - Canon This is such a joyous piece! You give it a majestic treatment. Your recording method does seem to flatten the dynamics, but your expression comes through.

16. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Snow White's Dream (Schneewittchens Traum) Very expressive playing on this lovely piece. You use the dynamic range very well to tell the story. Beautiful playing.

17. Anne H – Prelude #4 – Your work on this piece does shine through. I am not familiar with this prelude, but I like the touch that you give it. It is truly a beautiful piece. On the recording issue: I started recording every week about a year ago, and it has really helped to get me to relax in front of the red dot. Just record some of you practice regularly, and it might get easier.

18. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) – Nocturne in F minor I truly love this nocturne, and have played it as well. I really like your interpretation. Nice job on the “spooky” section at the end. I know how much work went into that. Beautifully played!

19. PikaPianist - March (Song of the Lark), The Seasons Op.37 I love your interpretation of this. You did make this lark more cheeful! Nicely done!

20. khopin - Nocturne in D flat major Op 27 No 2 I had not heard this nocturne before. It does sound quite difficult, but you make it sound effortless. Beautiful dynamic control and phrasing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
30 torquenale (Alessandra) - Bagatelle op. 119 n. 3
Indeed a nice piece. And nicely played, with good expression and a good regular rhythm. I didn't especially notice the missing note.

31 Sam S - Piano Sonata in F minor op2/1 1st movement
Kudos for playing through the blunders with confidence. I enjoyed listening to it. Makes me remember when my teacher had me learn it. Two tips: The very fist C, and similarly the first E in the second part, isn't staccato - at least not in my Henle Urtext edition. Try playing it without staccato - it gives the beginning a different, less hurried feeling. And when the left hand takes over the melody in measures 33-39 (and simliar) try to bring it out more, with a less dominant right hand.

32 tjbron - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6
Very nice! I'm practicing one of the other Venetian songs (30/6, also in the recital by someone else) and now I think I have to learn this one too, some time... Didn't particularly notice the wrong note you mentioned.

33 Ganddalf - Rondo a la Mazur, Op.5
Wow! smile Well, as far as I am concerned, your long investment in this piece has certainly paid off. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. Great presentation!

34 Mohan Karthik - Hallelujah
Well played - good feeling and dynamics. A fine piece to listen to. One point though: It almost sounds as if you had the sustain pedal down from beginning to end. I would ease up on that a bit, so that the sound is less "smeared".

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)

01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4: I’m not sure I’ve heard this Gnossienne before, but I really like it! It’s mysterious in a black-cat-slinking-around-lazily sort of way. laugh I also understand well what you mean about how recordings that are impromptu often sound better than when you’re trying hard... there’s a relaxation that’s obvious in your playing. Very enjoyable!

02. Inlanding - Glen - Solfeggietto: Not sure you can get any more contrast between laid-back and Satie and nonstop finger action of Bach! ha As I noted on your video, I was tremendously impressed by how relaxed your hands looked while you were playing despite how fast they surely had to move. Nice job!

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6: This a very pretty, plaintive melody, perfect for the snowy winter day I’m having here in Kentucky. Glad you were able to make it past the tenth bar. smile

04. MarieJ - Writing Poems: I love this piece of Einaudi’s, so mesmerizing, so somber, so full of quiet anguish. And as you note, much much harder to pull off musically than it has any right to be! My big problem with this piece was that I’d try so hard to play ppp that I’d skip a note, and with this composition, every single note is crucial. Your version sounded perfect to my ears.

05. Peyton - A Play on Words: Maybe it’s just the timing of this piece coming after Marie’s, but this composition sounded very Einaudi-esque to me, and that is high praise! I think it will prove to be one of my favorites of your piano solos. As for the syncopation, well, syncopation is *always* tough for me, whether I’m recording or not!

06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall: Oh, James Horner wrote such lovely melodies. I love your arrangement of this piece... it wasn’t until I went back and looked at your comments that I saw you played it as a lead sheet and came up with your own left hand notes for it. My hat’s off to you!

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4: Well-played, AZ_Astro! I was particularly impressed by your control of the dynamics in this piece, and in this prelude, the dynamics are everything.

08. SwissMS - Sonata in B flat , Op. 22 Minuet and Trio: You play this with such delicacy and daintiness, yet always perfectly controlled. Impressive!

09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered: Evans sure likes his non-standard chords! You play this so relaxed and competently that casual listeners wouldn’t realize how complex the harmonic structure actually is until they tried to analyze it.

M
M
01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4 Your playing flowed beautifully in this thoughtful Satie piece. It almost has an Arabic/Eastern essence in places. I hope to learn some of the Gnossienne one day, they are very evocative.

02. Inlanding - Glen - Solfeggietto Don’t tell anyone, but I actually prefer many of CPE Bach’s pieces to his more famous father’s. This sounded incredibly dexterous! I wish I could play that fast and stay accurate. Bravo!

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6 I think the songs without words are very beautiful and sadly neglected pieces. The gondolier song seems one of the most popular. The steady LH tempo propelled me through Italy’s watery city, and the RH painted a pretty picture of its bridges and people. Like Venice, your playing was romantic and inspiring. Unlike Venice, it certainly didn’t stink! (Don’t visit in summer!)

04. MarieJ - Writing Poems What a treat. An Einaudi piece I haven’t heard before. What a great sounding piano! Played by very capable hands. Perfectly minimalist, with a soothing relaxing finale.

05. Peyton - A Play on Words Where does everyone find all this excellent music for the recitals? I loved the echoing melody line in this…It sounded like you had three hands playing! The slightly manic section in the middle kept me alert and listening. Great playing skills.

06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall Perfect balance between the LH/RH, you never drowned the melody. I personally enjoyed the arpeggios over the block chords, which felt a little too heavy. Really enjoyed listening to you play though. Good job.

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4 I’m in the study group for this, so have been listening to some recordings of it by the best pianists. You gave them a good run for their money! Brilliant expressive playing, better than my feeble attempts so far. It felt solid and confident. My only critique would be I prefer the final chords even more quiet. But everyone should play it how they feel it should be.

08. SwissMS - Sonata in B flat , Op. 22 Minuet and Trio You picked a challenging piece with a busy LH melody! It flowed effortlessly, although there were spots I felt you played with gusto and confidence, and others I could sense you concentrating hard. Understandable on such a complex work! Lovely tuneful melody, you really did it justice.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered Introspective and reminiscent. Nice jazzy feel to it. Well played.

10. Monica K. - High Heels Another unknown Einaudi piece. I’ve seen it in a score book, but never heard it before. What a peaceful song. Loved your control and depth. It felt like I was listening to a professionally edited movie soundtrack. I listened through to then end, it was flawless. The part where you hit the highest/widest ranges made me picture a someone stretching/jumping to reach something. It made the piece seem more real.

11. MeganR - Minuet In G BWV Anh 114 What a fun authentic piano sound. Your timing was solid, the speed suited the piece well. Excellent job, I could tell you’ve taken time to perfect this piece.

12. JoBert - The Hobbit - Theme Moody and Dark opening. Felt like I was in Middle earth hiding from Orcs. I wonder what Gandalf will make of this submission? I could picture the chapters of the book as your piece progressed. Great arrangement, well played.

14. briangmoore - Chopin, Prelude 6 I really love this sombre, dark, prelude. It has so many layers. I wonder if all 24 preludes have been produced for the recitals? To get the notes of even a short prelude down is a great feat. Well played, hope to hear more Chopin from you.

15. BrianDX - Canon The ringing bass really suited this work. Nice arrangement, funny how everyone hears something different in this 4(?) part canon. Great work.

16. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Snow White's Dream (Schneewittchens Traum) Very moving playing Cat. Some excellent control of dynamics. I thought this was a very personal and reflective piece.

17. Anne H - Prelude No 4, Opus 23 Nice echoing resonance on your piano. I would have liked to hear the RH come through a little more, just to hear how well you were playing it, it was like watching a terrific show from awkward seats. You still enjoy it, but feel you missed out on everything it actually had to offer. Nice even changes in dynamics. Mine are way too binary!

18. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 No. 1 Another professional quality Chopin piece from you. Keep them coming! I loved this performance so much. Chopin’s subtle variations on a simple melody are so rewarding to hear when played well. And the coda… Bravo!

19. PikaPianist - March (Song of the Lark), The Seasons Op.37 I believe Lang Lang is releasing the Seasons, I heard him say he prefers these to Vivaldi’s. That was my first introduction to them, so it’s nice to see them here too. The collective noun for Larks is an exhalation, and I certainly felt exalted (not exhausted!) listening to you play. Excellent technique, and great choice!

20. khopin - Nocturne in D flat major Op 27 No 2 More Chopin. I’m so happy. And people keep selecting my favourites too. Superb rubato, sublime playing, a very polished performance. You have worked hard on this truly romantic piece.

21. barbaram - Alla Turca - Piano Sonata No 11 K331 3rd Movement Great delivery of a fun exciting piece. Enjoyed the changed in dynamics. Very uplifting and bright.

22. johan d - Minuet in G Major Ahn 114 Well played. This simple looking piece is a tongue twister for the fingers. I know how satisfying it is to master. Keep up the Bach!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4 My favorite of the Gnossienne’s! I have learned this piece as well and hope to present it at some upcoming recital. It was quite enjoyable to hear your version, especially the differences: your grace notes and the pace are a bit slower than when I play it, but it works perfectly! I thought you did a great job with the overall musicality of the piece. A delightful effort!

02. Inlanding - Glen - Solfeggietto My fingers don’t move that fast so I am a little bewildered by the whirlwind! But the voices come through prominently and I thought you did wonderfully learning this piece in just a little over two months. Great job!

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6 Nice pacing and voicing. This piece has really grown on me as I have heard several PW members play it now. What a special piece, with a poignant air and a hint of yesteryear. The Grotrian-Steinweg is a good match for this work. Beautifully played – loved the drop-off in tempo and dynamics at the end.

04. MarieJ - Writing Poems This little gem tells a graceful story, doesn’t it? You’re right about every note counting – and no place to hide. But your playing was very capable and transmitted the music with seeming ease. Your performance was wonderful!

05. Peyton - A Play on Words I enjoyed the counterplay in the bass with the melody in the treble. You do a really fine job of keeping the music interesting – there are no tedious repetitions or monotony. Nice voicing on those sixth? notes (around 2:50). You capture the mood of a windy day.

06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall This has the charm of an old Irish folksong, coupled with the melancholy of the American west. Not sure that I can hear the strings – but the Galaxy Vintage D is impressive. Very enjoyable. Well played!

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4 This was my submission that I have been playing for years now. I did have to work on the technical obstacle in the middle – some days those three or four measures is all that I would play, maybe 20 times.

08. SwissMS - Sonata in B flat , Op. 22 Minuet and Trio I have not heard this before. Your description about a conversation between your hands resonated with me and I listened to the piece with new ears. I enjoyed it more and more as I listened to it a few times. You seemed much more confident as the piece progressed and played with a lot of authority. Very impressive. To me, it sounds like the piece will continue to grow and that you will enjoy it more and more as the years go on.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered Thanks for the background on this piece - I’d have been pretty lost without your comments. I can appreciate the wandering and musicality of the piece, and your playing was strong and evocative. A singular contribution to the recital!

10. Monica K. - High Heels To begin with, your Mason sounds just wonderful! But it goes way beyond that, because your playing and the piece are both outstanding. The music immediately transcends the technical and enters that rare quality of excellence. I really enjoyed listening to this. You should be immensely proud of your performance!

11. MeganR - Minuet In G BWV Anh 114 That is a really terrific effort for 11 months and you should be proud of your work. The timing was excellent and you played with a lot of confidence. It may be a beginner baroque piece but I have played many that are a lot simpler! It’s a busy little piece. Onward to greater heights!

12. JoBert - The Hobbit - Theme Welcome back to the piano and thanks for joining the quarterly recital! What a fun first contribution – I enjoyed the medley of Hobbit tunes and you did a bang-up job for your first effort! Great job.

 

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 02/15/16 05:44 PM. Reason: spacing

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
P
P
42. CarlosCC- Night

For some obscure reason, I'm keen to comment on yours before you comment on mine...😜
I don't really know Einodi yet (shame on me!). I kind of discover his music listening to you. Not the type of music I'm prone to learn to play but definitely like to listen to. Good job!

Honorary member of the order of the flats
"Before Eating A Doughnut Get Coffee First"
�����������
CVP-407
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
In the past I've said I would comment and didn't, but only because I felt inadequate to share and also because we are all so sensitive about putting ourselves out there (at least I am). but for good or ill, I'll try and comment on everything in this recital. I'm in Palm Springs at the moment, so please forgive me if I don't listen to everything all at once!

And please forgive if I seem insensitive. I'm proud of everyone sharing, especially since I once changed from a music education major to a B.A. with music emphasis... just because the latter didn't require a recital!!! I'm terrified of performing!!! But.... taking baby steps..

Forrest

01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4
moody, dark! I like moody and dark! Even with expansive rubato, you seem to move this along in a logical fashion

02. Inlanding - Glen - Solfeggietto

something tells me that if this were just a tad slower there would be no flubs. I'm told we teach ourselves through our practice habits, to play just at the edge of falling apart. (I'm trying to address this in myself)
Still, a good effort with a tricky piece!

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6

I first heard this piece via a YouTube search about unequal temperaments (of which I'm fond). Trevor Stevenson played on three instruments with three different tunings. I like equal temperament the least. Great prominence with the melody line, and sustain pedal work is good too! I enjoyed this!
In case you would like to hear this piece in those temperaments, here's the link.
http://youtu.be/LMU6szv8BFc
(p.s. I hate it when folks post somebody else playing a work a member has worked on, but this is for the temperament comparison, not to compare your effort with a professional)

04. MarieJ - Writing Poems

Even though you wrote that you didn't think you would continue the adult recitals, I'm glad you did.
On such a languid piece many would rush, but you allowed the sound to breath, giving a nice effect!
wonderful balance between the voices!
Good sounding instrument and hats off to your tuner/voicer!

05. Peyton - A Play on Words

An improvisation or something written down for "forever"?
If a "forever" piece, did it start as an improv that you codified and expanded?
I especially like your development of melodic fragments, echoes between the registers.
This had plenty to tease the ear, and a fine sounding, well tuned acoustic.

06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall

I enjoyed this! In the middle section with the big chords it did get a bit blurry, which lead me to think (without seeing your hands) that you may be leaving the keys, making a heavier pedal more necessary, but this is me being picky.
Even though I'm not such a fan of electronic action or sound, I have to admit it is getting better all of the time. Good job!

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4

You give a nice shape to this with a good l.h. chord technique. Listening, it seems as if you've "lived" with this a long time... aha! I read your notes and that is indeed the case! Always good to finally get to date the ones we love, yes?
08. SwissMS - Sonata in B flat , Op. 22 Minuet and Trio
Beethoven... what a monster to bring to fruition, yes? I liked the second statement of the first theme better. It seemed as if you were a bit more relaxed and the staccato notes not quite so short.
I like the mental picture you had going in to the learning, a conversation between the hands. Good work, and I hope you keep revisiting this.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered

What a great tone salad! Your jazz bond fides are showing. As a young man I wouldn't have appreciated such complexity, but now I dig it!
Good work!

10. Monica K. - High Heels

With such a title I expected can-can music! haha... so to have such a tranquil and peaceful sound come through the headphones... well, a pleasant surprise
You say it's too slow, but you do this tempo justice! The una corda pedal was used with great effect, and on your instrument it sounds perfect!

11. MeganR - Minuet In G BWV Anh 114

Your recording method is fine, but girl! Ya gotta get that instrument tuned! (yeah, I'm being picky, but as a beginner... especially as a beginner, you are learning relationships between tones, and playing an out of tune instrument is like trying to box with one of your hands tied behind your back)
That pickiness aside, a great effort for less than a year playing! It sounds like you're having fun!

12. JoBert - The Hobbit - Theme

What a meaty sound from your keyboard! I'm glad you are back to playing, and I'm glad you chose to share with us. You have to enjoy the journey, yes?
You play expressively and with rhythmic vitality!

I remember this first making an impression on me when I heard it in the movie "Shine"
I want to learn it too, but that middle section .... shudder. Keep at it. Sounds like it wants to come out of you.
and yes, I did enjoy it, thanks for sharing.

14. briangmoore - Chopin, Prelude 6

read my comments to MeganR and please don't think me insensitive, but it matters!
This piece is easier in the note sense, advanced by far in an emotional sense. Let it breath! I'm glad you shared this with us!

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission