2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 41st quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #41 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 41 Zip 1
Recital 41 Zip 2
Recital 41 Zip 3
Recital 41 Zip 4
Recital 41 Zip 5
Recital 41 Zip 6
Recital 41 Zip 7
Recital 41 Zip 8
Recital 41 Zip 9

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:3 years
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Gnossienne No.4
Composer:Satie
Duration:03:12
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha P105 with Galaxy Vintage D
Recording method:Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I was not even going to submit anything this recital as other pieces were not quite ready, but when the doors of the recital opened I could not help myself and threw in this old thing. Recorded several months ago, I was playing it then at its best and any attempt for a more recent recording would probably not have added much. Why I think this was this recording was an impromptu recording and a first take. Because there was no urgency in the matter I may have, less by design and more by accident, captured the piece at my best moment. I certainly like the lazy tempo I was choosing at the time and might have been more inclined to speed a little more if played today, which I think would be a shame.

Half of an over ripe banana and a couple of stale bread crusts for lunch, why? Because I am sick with the flu and no matter what, everything tastes awful.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:off and on for years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puWysKkHslY
Title of piece:Solfeggietto
Composer:Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
Duration:01:10
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha keyboard
Recording method:Computer
Additional info:In mid-November 2015, I decided to learn this piece, then recorded a video get get a baseline. It was the last week of January that I practiced it again, then captured another video in early February.

I focused more on the tempo this time and some of the dynamics got lost. It's quite a challenge keeping the balance - even the trill got moved! I'll try the acoustic next time.

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach was considered by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and others of the classical period as a huge influence on the classical style. Beethoven suggested that Czerny understand CPE Bach's Essays on Keyboard Instruments as it pertains understanding technique, interpretation, and other refinements of 18th century music.

For lunch today, it was marinated grilled chicken and mixed vegetables. My preference, though, was for a piece of flourless chocolate cake...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:About 6 years
Title of piece:Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6
Composer:Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
Duration:02:31
Source of music:sheet music, mostly memorized
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:On a tour through Europe in 1830, Mendelssohn visited Venice. There he completed his first of 8 bundles of 6 Lieder ohne Worte (Songs without Words) by adding this piece. Apparently he liked the venetian boat as he later wrote more Venetian boat songs: as part 6 of his second bundle and part 5 of his fifth bundle. More and more people could afford a piano at home and lessons, and these nice but short, not-too-hard pieces perfectly fit for that.

You can hear some aspects of Venice: the boat passes under an echoing bridge, some church bells ring, but other than that this is much less a program piece than I expected - no signs for speedup/slowdown for example. Therefore I kept it plain and simple as written, though I added quite some pedal to give it the fluidity it needs.

I had trouble finding a good tempo. It says "andante sostenuto", so say 80-110BPM. Most recordings are way too fast, usually almost twice this speed. Playing this slow is much harder than playing it fast: it easily sounds more like a funeral march, and 'blocky' if the left hand is too loud. You have to be extremely careful with phrasing, articulation and dynamics to make it flow and work at an andante speed.

I recorded this in spite of my work on it being far from finished. My new teacher rarely lets me play beyond the 10th bar, having many comments on voicing, intonation, dynamics, tempo, touch, technique, phrasing, fingering, and all else you can imagine. Clearly I'm a complete beginner and slow learner on top of that. Well I'm in good company here I guess smile

Luckily I worked on the rest of the piece as well so that I can at least present the current state of the art beyond measure 10. I hope you all enjoy it!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A couple of brief dabbles half a century apart before discovering Einaudi in December 2011. Self taught since.
Title of piece:Writing Poems
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:03:04
Source of music:Digital sheet music from musicnotes.com
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Recording method:Zoom H2n; file normalised and ends trimmed with Audacity.
Additional info:My fourth Recital - I didn't think I'd keep this up!

'Writing Poems' is another Einaudi composition which hasn't previously been submitted to a Recital. It is not as well-known as many of his pieces, probably because it is not included in any of his sheet music albums. His recorded performance seems to be only available as part of the full sound track from the motion picture 'The Intouchables'. It has been running in my head ever since I watched that marvellous movie, and I finally tracked down the score and decided it could be a relatively easy piece to attempt.

But as Monica commented recently about another of his compositions, 'It sounds so delicate and, dare I say, simple... but Einaudi's "simplicity" has fooled me badly on many previous occasions.' She's not alone in being fooled! In 'Writing Poems' every note counts; a super-slow tempo and numerous fermatas ensure that there's just nowhere to hide. So it's very obvious that my finger control still leaves a lot to be desired. (Two years after switching from a digital piano to my C3, I continue to have problems playing pp and still haven't eliminated ghost notes.)

However my biggest difficulty (thanks in part to the Red Dot) is always to get a half-decent recording. This one is the best of countless retakes, but it is still a work in progress.

Cello harmonics help sustain the haunting atmosphere of Einaudi's performance; without this backing I decided to play 'Writing Poems' marginally faster than he does.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:A bunch
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1RRzdYphdQ
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:A Play on Words
Composer:Original
Duration:05:24
Instrument used:Young Chang Pramberger grand
Additional info:I wrote this a few months ago and still just can't seem to play the syncopated parts well. At least not when I'm recording.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Newbert
Experience:A few years as a child, then 45 years away from piano. About 3 years as an adult.
Title of piece:The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall
Composer:James Horner
Duration:03:40
Source of music:Sheet Music/Lead Sheet
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 & Galaxy Vintage D VST
Recording method:Record to WAV using Reaper; Conversion to mp3 using Audacity software.
Additional info:From what I understand, this is one of the main themes from the movie "Legends of the Fall". Although I've never seen the movie, I came across this piece on Youtube and was immediately drawn to it. Besides its beautifully simple melody, I felt that it lent itself well to my current goals. I'm trying to teach myself to play from fake books so, although I have full sheet music for this piece, I decided to blank out the left hand score and play this piece as a lead sheet.

Since the last ABF quarterly recital, I've acquired a few VST's, including Galaxy Vintage D which I used for this recording. (I activated the "Big Strings" pad at a low volume when I recorded this. I didn't want it to overwhelm the piano, so I hope that I didn't set it too low to come through....)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AZ_Astro
Experience:4 years and 2 months!
Title of piece:Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:02:01
Source of music:I downloaded a pdf file from the IMSLP library.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Preludes,_Op.28_%28Chopin,_Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric%29

Composed during 1838-1839
Instrument used:Korg SP-250 digital piano used as midi input only.
Recording method:The recording was made using the new Garritan CFX Concert Grand sampled VST piano and Ivory 2's Cantabile recording capability, played on a Korg SP-250 midi keyboard.
Additional info:I fell in love with this piece when I was about 5 years old, sitting on the piano bench with my mother who was a very capable sight-reader. She pulled out the Old Schirmer's Chopin one day and played this piece and I was smitten immediately. Always wanted to learn it!

Surprise surprise, here I am 56 years later, playing the piece. I started learning this piece in my first year of playing piano 4 years ago but it was over my head. Nonetheless I persevered and learned to "play" the notes but my ear told me I still had far to go. Four years later, I am still playing and enjoying it and can still find depths of the piece to plumb. Truly a wonderful rendition requires a virtuosity that I don' have yet! But I have made the piece my own, so to speak. I still lament the technical errors that I make but they are becoming fewer as the years progress. I can't wait for another 4 years under my belt - hopefully most of the errors will be gone by then. By my count, I have probably put in about 2000 hours into the piano at this point. A younger person likely would have progressed much further in 2000 hours, but I am satisfied and must defer to my frequent brain-snafus and lower energy levels. Oh to be 25 again!

Anyhoo, I have always loved this piece and finally felt it was time to submit it to the quarterly. All the best.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:About 7 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srLup7H8mQ
Title of piece:Sonata in B flat , Op. 22 Minuet and Trio
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:03:45
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bechstein A160 Grand
Recording method:Q3HD
Additional info:This piece is full of contrast and drama. The gentle beginning of the minuet is interrupted by discordence and sharp chords, and then resumes a whimsical course to its conclusion. The trio is a dramatic treatise by the left hand punctuated by outbursts of the right hand. I visualize the piece as a conversation between the hands, some times harmonious, and sometimes quite heated. I found it challenging to present the range of emotions that the piece presents, but it was fun to play!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Time Remembered
Composer:Bill Evans
Duration:02:21
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:This is a beautiful song, with unusual, impressionistic harmonies. All chords are major 13th or minor 9th (not a single dominant chord!), which gives it a modal sound, bouncing between various dorian and lydian modes. It is not even clear what key it is in, if any. It is usually played by a trio or solo piano, but it has also been orchestrated for a full symphony orchestra and for a string quartet. There are lyrics and there have been some recordings by vocalists, but I think most vocalists are scared off by the ambiguous tonality and the large melodic leaps, not to mention the C# two octaves above middle C! A strange and wonderful song.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Since July of 2004, self-taught.
Video link:https://youtu.be/Q-4tCddLn5o
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:High Heels
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:06:05
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Audio file recorded using Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:I found this piece harder to record than the sheet music really warranted... as with much of Einaudi, the delicacy of the notes, rubato, and phrasing were the real challenges, not any particular difficulty in the notes themselves. I originally recorded this for recital 38 but changed my mind after discovering that my recording was more than two minutes slower than Einaudi's... so I went back and did some work on the tempo and tried again. This one is still too slow, but not as bad as before.

Lunch was an Amy's Country Cheddar bowl.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MeganR
Experience:11 months (wow, coming up on a year!)
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/meganralph
Title of piece:Minuet In G BWV Anh 114
Composer:Petzold
Duration:01:45
Instrument used:Everett spinet
Recording method:Same cludge (I swear I'm going to budget for a Zoom H4 for next time) - digital camera to PC, then a little bit of work in Audacity but my apologies, it's still not a great job of recording.
Additional info:I guess this is the quintessential beginner piece. Nevertheless, I actually quite like the second part and overall I enjoyed learning this one and sorting through the difficulties as best I could.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:I've played since the 80s, but with a recent >10 year lapse.
Video link:https://youtu.be/Y00qZPdzMVY
Title of piece:The Hobbit - Theme
Composer:Howard Shore, Jan Kolacek
Duration:06:32
Source of music:Sheet music by Jan Kolacek.
Instrument used:Kawai CA 97 (EX Concert Grand voice)
Recording method:Built-in recording to WAV, converted to MP3 with Audacity.
Additional info:The piece is a fantasy on the themes from "The Hobbit", composed by Howard Shore, in turn composed/arranged by Jan Kolacek. It starts off with the dwarf song "Misty Mountains Cold" and then moves on to various other themes from "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings".

There's a story behind this piece, and why I'm submitting it for my first ABF recital: Although I have been playing the piano for quite a while, in the recent 10 years or so I've more or less ignored it and almost never played at all. So one day this past October, I was watching stuff on YouTube and watched the part from the beginning of "The Hobbit", where the dwarves sing the Misty Mountains Cold song in Bilbo's hobbit hole. Then I clicked on one of those "similar-to-this" videos in the sidebar and watched an a cappella cover and from there I clicked on to a piano cover by Kyle Landry. I knew of course that Kyle is way better than I ever was (and likely ever will be), but watching this made me realize, that it was a shame that I had let this skill that I had practiced for so hard, and nurtured for so long, deteriorate so drastically. I decided that I would take up playing the piano again. So the very next day I went out and bought me a digital piano. And I also set out on the internet to find a piano score for that dwarf song. The one I wound up finding was this fantasy by Jan Kolacek, which I liked very much. At about the same time I discovered the PW forums and learned of the ABF recitals, and I made the resolution that I would make this hobbit piece my first entry to an ABF recital. So here we are...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Medden - Simon
Experience:3 Years 3 Months
Title of piece:Prelude Op 28 No 15
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Memory
Instrument used:Kawai CN34
Recording method:Direct to USB
Additional info:I took up this piece as part of the 'Raindrop' study group here in PianoWorld. I really enjoy playing this piece.
I have recorded the first section, and part of the second. I wanted to record all of it, but I found I have grown a little rusty on the middle section, so this will do for now.
I may resubmit it at a later recital.
Thanks for listening, I really hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/15/16 05:31 PM. Reason: edited experience as per Medden's request
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:briangmoore
Experience:A few years at least
Title of piece:Chopin, Prelude 6
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:01:48
Source of music:Schirmer Score
Instrument used:Knable Grand (older)
Recording method:Laptop microphone to audacity
Additional info:After two tries at Bach this is my first Chopin submission! The (easier!) Preludes were suggested by my teacher and I fell in love with this one. [I am still looking for a good quality recording method/device (that I can afford)].

Aside from that, I worked hard on getting this piece memorized well in advance, but the recital date just crept up on me, being busy with other things. I wanted to get something in as early as possible, so I sat down at lunch and just did the best I could, given the hour available.

Lunch was...nothing!... since I played on my lunch hour.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BrianDX
Experience:28 months
Title of piece:Canon
Composer:Pachelbal
Duration:03:23
Source of music:Faber Piano Adventures Lesson Book Level 3B
Instrument used:Yamaha C2X
Recording method:Sony digital recorder
Additional info:This is the "graduation" piece for this level. It runs over 3 1/2 minutes in length, which is pretty long for me while in recording mode. It in C rather than D, which was a Faber decision.

This is the first recording I've submitted with noticeable mistakes, but what the heck!

One other annoying thing I've noticed. Either because of the recorder I used or the location of it, even the soft passages seem pretty loud. Believe me, there are really soft passages in there!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld)
Experience:several years as a child and nearly 4 years as an adult (practicing seriously)
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777hpjzPmI8
Title of piece:Snow White's Dream (Schneewittchens Traum)
Composer:Astrid Amico
Duration:01:38
Source of music:Snow White's Dream (in German: Schneewittchens Traum) is one of six fairytales pieces from the digital pdf sheet music book called "Es war einmal..." ("Once upon a time...") with compositions from Astrid Amico (an italian pianist/teacher/composer who was born 1966):
http://www.wunderverlag.de/artikel/es-war-einmal/
Instrument used:Grand piano: Boston GP-178
Recording method:audio: Zoom H5
video: Canon 5D Mark II
Additional info:I started to learn this piece last summer and I planned to record it for the last recital. But the piece was not ready, I was not ready and the grand was not tuned after getting acclimatized in his new home. ;-) So I had to skip the recital, gave the piece a bit of a rest, waited for the piano tuner and finally recorded it last month.
There are some very similar phrases in "Snow White's Dream" that gave me a hard time to memorize it properly. But I was stubborn and wanted to record it from memory without being glued to the music sheets. So it needed several takes without mixing up these small variations in the phrases and without hesitating for tiny moments trying to remember which variation is the right one ...
Concerning the piece I really like the joyful dream of Snow White and hopefully you enjoy it too.
Thank you for listening!

PS: Had some noodles for lunch. ;-)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Anne H
Experience:10 years as a child/teenager, four years as a restarter
Title of piece:Prelude No 4, Opus 23
Composer:Rachmaninoff
Duration:08:55
Instrument used:Ritmuller GH 160R
Recording method:Zoom
Additional info:I worked so hard on this since this is one of my bucket list pieces. It had dynamics, it was smooth, it was fast - and that all completely disappeared when I tried to record it. What I ended up with was this very slow recording with at least one pretty noticeable mistake. That said, I'm turning this in because I am truly proud of the work I've put in and that I actually have learned it. If you could hear me at home without the recorder, you would know I'm not lying! I'm also looking forward to keeping this piece around for the rest of my life, so I really do hope to get a representative recording made at some point.

What this has really driven home is that I have got to figure out how to get over my performance/recording issue. My playing has improved so much in the past few years and some days is truly at a high level. I'm just not able to document it. I definitely welcome technical feedback (I know it has lots of flaws) but would also welcome some feedback about how to deal with recording when you have serious "stage fright" issues.

Lunch was fried chicken and mashed potatoes at Popeye's.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Michiyo-Fir (Jade)
Video link:https://youtu.be/-sHnvCtTtCI
Title of piece:Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 No. 1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:52
Source of music:Paderewski Chopin Nocturnes
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:I mic-ed the piano very unevenly unfortunately by pointing it way too much towards the bass strings. The piece ended up sounding very bass heavy which wasn't so when I played it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://youtu.be/E29W2Yu5weU
Title of piece:March (Song of the Lark), The Seasons Op.37
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:02:30
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Kawai CS6 + VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 VST
Additional info:This little gem is titled 'Song of the Lark'. I played this rather non-conventionally, and in a rather improvisational manner. I've always wondered why Tchaikovsky presented a lark in such a melancholic and pensive mood. In the end, I gave the songbird a little touch of optimism and happiness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission