2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 74 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 73 74
Hi All
My name is Ian I am 58. I am originally from West Yorkshire, UK. I know live in Cocoa,Fl. I just recently started to learn the piano. A bit late I know. This has always been on my bucket list to do. And recent events have made me realize that life is short.
I am at present having lessons, and I practice at home on my Kawai keyboard X55-D. I would like to have a proper DP within the next six months. oh and I have just recently started a free trial of Musiah. (Seems to be good but if anyone can tell me if it really is I would appreciate it)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the ABF Martin and Ian. You will find lots of folks hereabouts willing to help out if you have a problem or questions.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to both the forum and piano. I'm a 29 year old model/makeup artist in Southern California. I don't have much musical experience. I played the harp for a year or two in Jr. High, and I know enough basic chords on the guitar to get me by, but I've never really had much experience with the piano.

My Husband and I just bought a new house a few months ago and have slowly been furnishing it room by room. We wanted a statement piece for our "sitting room" right off our front entryway. We found a great deal on a beautiful used baby grand. We bought it mostly for looks with no real intentions of playing it, but I found myself completely in love! I started tinkering around with it during any spare time I had. After about a week of that I decided I really wanted to learn to play. I stumbled across this forum and it's been a great resource. I'm usually more of a "lurker" than a participator, but I plan on being more active on this forum. I'm armed with Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Course Book 1 and ready to go! I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

xoxo,
Christine

Adult Beginner
Started Alfred's Book 1 1/20/16
Also working out of Fundamental Keys
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ha! Sounds like you've been lured in by that devious little baby grand! Well, there are certainly worse fates. smile

Welcome to the forum!

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
R
R
Good morning all,

Seems proper that the first post is an introduction smile

So I'm Tom, 32 years young from Belgium. 1 daughter thats almost 2 years young and a second one on its way.

I have played 5 years keyboard when I was 10-15 years. Lost my interest when the female race came into my life. @28 I have started with some guitar lessons for 2 years which I still play occasionally.

Since a few weeks I have start to listen more and more to classical music and I love the way that Piano sounds and can relax me. So I've decided to buy me a digital piano. (no money atm for "the real thing" so I've started my search and came out with a Casio CDP230R. (Scored one second hand in new state for 200€)

Bought me the Alfreds basic adult piano course after reading some good reviews and started last week.

I'll keep you posted for the progress in the specific Alfred forum. (Ive been luring for some weeks now smile )

I think that's about it. If you want to know more, just ask me. I don't bite.

Best regards,
Tom

Casio CDP 230R
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome to the forum Tom & Christine. Two more Alfred book 1 recruits, that's a busy place over at the book 1 thread.

Are you both going to self teach or are lessons planned?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
Self learning here. I will see how far I can get on my own. (I can read notes and played keyboard before)
If I can't make progress, maybe I'll take some lessons.

Best regards,
Tom

Casio CDP 230R
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Welcome to the forum Tom & Christine. Two more Alfred book 1 recruits, that's a busy place over at the book 1 thread.

Are you both going to self teach or are lessons planned?

[Linked Image]

But if you have not got years of musical experience, probably best to get a teacher. Maybe always best to get a teacher but make sure you like them and they actively do a lot in helping you.

Adult Beginner on piano (started 19 Jan 2016); 14 years' experience playing bass guitar, and several years on guitar.

Kawai ES100, mainly played through a set of AKG K550's. Perils of thin walls and flatmates. wink
Originally Posted by Rakdor
Self learning here. I will see how far I can get on my own. (I can read notes and played keyboard before)
If I can't make progress, maybe I'll take some lessons.

Best regards,
Tom

Welcome, fellow Dark Sider. Should be an interesting journey for us both.

Have you read the forum page Important Topics on The Adult Beginners Forum yet?

Has some nice stuff there and there is a book in pdf (all legal) you can get from there called the Fundamentals of Piano Practice and it looks excellent in helping shape how you can teach yourself and use decent technique and so on. Somewhat heavy but man it is interesting and just and a self-taught piano player could use. Hope it helps you like it is helping me (so far).

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ant_Topics_on_the_Adult_.html#Post972650

Adult Beginner on piano (started 19 Jan 2016); 14 years' experience playing bass guitar, and several years on guitar.

Kawai ES100, mainly played through a set of AKG K550's. Perils of thin walls and flatmates. wink
R
R
Hi Ulven,

I was going trough the forum as we speak.
I'll check out the book later today. Thx for the tip.

Best regards,
Tom

Casio CDP 230R
No problem, Tom.

Regards,

Steve.

H
H
Hello ABF members,

I am a complete beginner at 35 years with no musical background at all. I accidentally came across Schubert's Ave Maria in a TV show and was completely overwhelmed by it. This was about a year ago. Since then, I've set my car radio to the Classical station and have been slowly expanding my appreciation of Western Classical music.

I decided to learn to play the Piano a month ago and got(saved) a Clavinova CLP 220 from a dump of a place. Apparently the thing was just lying unused for 7 years. The cabinet and instrument themselves were in top notch condition once I got the dust and grime off of it. I had my first class 3 weeks ago and my weekly classes have been a blast with a very understanding and experienced teacher. I go to a local private arts academy where a lot of moms bring their tiny ones for music dance and singing lessons. It is very humbling and sometimes odd experience to wait with the little ones in the lobby while my teacher finishes with the little girl scheduled before me.

I have signed up for the MOYD2016 challenge and hope to continue with my record of playing everyday for the last month.I am very excited about this journey.
Thank you.

[Linked Image]

We are kept from our goal, not by obstacles, but by a clear path to a lesser goal.

-Bhagavad Gita

Winning is a Consequence of the energy put into the different factors that contribute to victory.

-Ayrton Senna

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Hariharan, and welcome to the ABF. You will find lots of folks around here that have been down a path similar to yours. If you have questions or issues, just ask. You will usually get a good range of views on most subjects.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
welcome Hariharan, this is an exciting journey especially at the beginning. However it isn't always smooth sailing and even although there may be ups and down as you progress, you will still find a deep satisfaction in music.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
H

Originally Posted by JimF
Hi Hariharan, and welcome to the ABF. You will find lots of folks around here that have been down a path similar to yours. If you have questions or issues, just ask. You will usually get a good range of views on most subjects.

Jim

Thank you Jim.

Originally Posted by earlofmar
welcome Hariharan, this is an exciting journey especially at the beginning. However it isn't always smooth sailing and even although there may be ups and down as you progress, you will still find a deep satisfaction in music.

Thank you. i understand the path ahead and hope to keep a Stoic attitude through it. Hopefully the nice folks and articles in this forum will pull me through the downs.

[Linked Image]

We are kept from our goal, not by obstacles, but by a clear path to a lesser goal.

-Bhagavad Gita

Winning is a Consequence of the energy put into the different factors that contribute to victory.

-Ayrton Senna

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Thank you. i understand the path ahead and hope to keep a Stoic attitude through it. Hopefully the nice folks and articles in this forum will pull me through the downs.

Hey Harihan, welcome aboard! Make playing/practicing FUN somehow ... I don't think a "how to" book about that has been written yet, so keep another piano book in the back of your mind while on the path too. grin

You're gonna do great!

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

B
B
I'm Bob, 26 y/o from Israel.
Finishing my last year as a BSW student (B.A in social work). Social work is probably one of the rarest things that I've been consistent about. I have great passion for what life has to offer, but the passion often shifts from one thing to another - you know how it is.
I've always admired music, from psychedelic trance in all it's forms to alternative rock, to hindi music, to blues and classical music.

Last december I was in Amsterdam and spontaneously ordered a ticket to some concert in Concertgebouw - it was with the pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Alma Quartet - and we were blown away (me and my friend). I came back to Israel with this unresting desire to play classical but didn't want to play it through the guitar so I in late december I took a friend's old yamaha psr 295 that was barely working, and later in january I bought my digital piano! Unfortunately I cannot find a teacher who's into classical music in my town so I'm teaching myself.

I also have a short span of attention (ADD) and I'm amazed how long I find myself practicing the piano, amazing how something that is so 'igniting' overcomes some of the brain shortages so to speak smile smile

H
H
Ello, ello. I'm Dario, from the Netherlands.

I play the piano since I was 16, now I'm 22. There wasn't really a reason why I started playing, I just always wanted to be able to play an instrument. Out of all instruments the piano I thought was the best, since it's the instrument that sounds best when played solo, imo. It was the instrument that stood out most for me. So out of implusivity I bought a small 64 note keyboard, and started playing, teaching myself from YouTube.

I'm usually not the type of person that actually keeps practicing something, though with piano this was very different. I never feel good enough, always see I could be a million times better so that's fuel for practice. I sometimes find myself practicing over 6 hours straight.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hell0;

I'm new here smile I recently started taking piano lessons, working with a teacher and part way through the Alfred's Adult Series, Book 2. Looking forward to learning from others here.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
welcome bSharpCyclist, hyena and bbTofu, interesting how we find with piano a concentration and devotion we never thought we had. These are essential working skills to get us through some of the more tedious practice sessions. Hoping to hear more from you guys as you experience a wonderful journey.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 65 of 74 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission