2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hello Everyone,

I am by no means a rich man, but if I were to have 1 prized possession in life, it would be a Hamburg Steinway. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any Hamburg Steinway dealers in Vancouver. Does anyone know how I would go about having one imported and the costs involved?

Lawrence

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Any Steinway dealer in the world can order a Steinway from either factory for you, but the Steinway dealers in Europe don't tend to have many American Steinways on their floor, and the Steinway dealers in the US and Canada don't tend to have many or any Hamburg Steinways on their floor. The best bet is to ask a dealer.

YAMAHA Artist
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just adding to joe80's post - Dealers in North America deal with NY made Steinway pianos. It has been the case for some time that those dealers can "special order" a Hamburg Steinway for a customer. I understand that you can expect a sizable upcharge.

However, it might be possible to visit the factory in Hamburg and make a choice right there.

Good luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Just adding to Joe and Rich's post (nice to be in a thread were we are additive!) .... Lawrence, as noted, call a local Steinway dealer and find out how much. Then call Steinway London and ask how much, and call Steinway Hamburg and ask how much. With London and Hamburg ask about possibilities of choosing directly on the floor. My understanding is London keeps a special "stash" elsewhere for serious buyers. What that means in practice I don't know.

But, I;d guess that London and Hamburg will likely refer you, if not call directly for you, to the NA dealer with whom they've done this sort of thing before. Some dealer somewhere in NA will have more expertise and experience than others in importing an instrument from Europe. So it might be that you pick an instrument in Europe but a NA dealer handles the details of getting that instrument to you.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tom Lee Music brings them in by special order and at times have a few models in stock.
Call the store nearest you, we have 9 or 10 in B.C.
I you want to know who I recommend to talk to there, you can private message me.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

I
I
I have been wondering about this for a while now, didn't have the mind to ask on the forums, but this thread prompted me to ask. In the big countries of North America, like Mexico and Canada (besides the US), are New York Steinways more often sold in Steinway dealers? Or are the Hamburg Steinways?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
New York is what you will find in Canada.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There appears to be a dealer selling some in Calgary. I keep coming upon this particular craigslist ad for the last few months.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/msd/5435578230.html

Also there might be a used D at Pacey's, although I don't know if it was still there. I saw it maybe 3 months ago. It was a really really nice piano, I would've bought it if I had a room for it. The owners imported the piano from London.

Last edited by Michiyo-Fir; 02/20/16 06:55 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir
There appears to be a dealer selling some in Calgary. I keep coming upon this particular craigslist ad for the last few months.

Those would be rebuilt in eastern Europe, not new Steinways.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir

Those would be rebuilt in eastern Europe, not new Steinways.

Great, thanks for the info Rod. I didn't know that at all.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I did ask once at Steinway Hall in London if they would supply a piano directly from New York, and they said of course they would, but the sensible thing for the buyer to do would be to fly to New York, select the piano that they wanted, and the sale would be facilitated through Steinway London, which, they said at the time, would make the piano cost about the same as the Hamburg Steinway when you consider the cost of booking flights and hotel.

You could also just buy one of their New York models from stock - they usually have a New York D in the C and A room, and they sometimes have one in stock new. The price of the New York models for sale in London was significantly cheaper than the Hamburg models. There was a New York D that had been put out for sale after being in C and A for three or four years (very few people were selecting it, although it was a good piano) and it was priced at £75,000 in 2010. The Hamburg D at that point was £105,000, and the cost of an ex-hire Hamburg that age was about £95,000.

I'm sure then that the pricing would probably work in reverse buying a Hamburg piano in North America.

In my limited experience with NYC pianos, some of them have a tendency to be a bit more rough around the edges than the Hamburg ones, but when they're prepped properly (and London make a very good job of it), they are beautiful pianos, as good as Hamburg ones, although different.

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission