2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2514998 02/26/16 07:07 AM
B
Bez Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I just bought a 1927 Baldwin 6'3" grand piano for my wife. Looks like it's been rebuilt with new strings, bridges, pin block, pins. Hammers look great, though I'm not sure if they are new or just reshaped. Body was refinished. It's beautiful and sounds amazing, a great deal we found on Craigslist.

I don't know if they key action mechanism has been rebuilt. One thing my wife noticed was the action felt a little "light" (or "loose"?), more so at the center keys than the less used keys at the ends. When you release the keys quickly they would bounce up and down lightly before settle to the rest position. The action still feels much better than our Kawai upright piano, but this "bouncy" problem prevents her from hitting series of quick notes. I checked the hammers let-off and drop-off distances and they looked consistent.

Is this "light" or "loose" action a serious problem? What causes that? And is it easy to fix? I'm very good with my hands and would like to save money if it's a straight forward repair.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bez; 02/26/16 07:08 AM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think this is a problem a DIY should attempt to diagnose and solve.

You just made a great find on a piano that someone invested a fair amount of work into. My advice is to find a Technician who knows how to tone-regulate a grand action. In other words the answer is No.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
The bouncy keys could be from wear at the balance keypin hole -- or a number of other factors, either instead of or in addition to.

In any case, not a sign that you shouldn't have gotten the piano. Probably you would be best served by getting a qualified technician experienced in grand action work.

If you use the PTG search function you can specify specialty.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Bouncing keys is a not-uncommon result of too much lead in the key. I have seen it when heavy hammers or the wrong geometry is in an action and the uneducated tech simply adds lead to the key to bring the down weight into spec. I have seen excessive leading on the 1970"s vintage Mason and Hamlin pianos, which was done at the factory.
Regards,

B
B
Originally Posted by Bez
I just bought a 1927 Baldwin 6'3" grand piano for my wife. Looks like it's been rebuilt with new strings, bridges, pin block, pins. Hammers look great, though I'm not sure if they are new or just reshaped. Body was refinished. It's beautiful and sounds amazing, a great deal we found on Craigslist.

I don't know if they key action mechanism has been rebuilt. One thing my wife noticed was the action felt a little "light" (or "loose"?), more so at the center keys than the less used keys at the ends. When you release the keys quickly they would bounce up and down lightly before settle to the rest position. The action still feels much better than our Kawai upright piano, but this "bouncy" problem prevents her from hitting series of quick notes. I checked the hammers let-off and drop-off distances and they looked consistent.

Is this "light" or "loose" action a serious problem? What causes that? And is it easy to fix? I'm very good with my hands and would like to save money if it's a straight forward repair.

Thank you!

I have to wonder if its actually the keys or the hammers. I would advise the OP to buy the Reiblitz book, or maybe "Pianos Inside Out."

Don in Austin

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
It could be missing the Key upstop rail, or the rail is there but adjusted too high. If the action parts are original, they are certainly due for some work.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission