2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have grand piano hammers that are used, but appear to be in good condition, (There is no wearing and they don’t appear treated .)

I haven’t measured the bore diameter yet, but by eyeing them they appear to have a smaller bore length than my original in the piano.
My question is this.
If I were to use the smaller bore length piano hammers by replacing the original hammer heads with the smaller bore length-ed , would it make a significant difference in the strike /sound etc?
… would it work ?

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Everything makes a difference.
I have reused a used set but I will remove the old shanks, plug the holes with appropriate dowel, and trim flush and then re-drill for proper fit on the shanks and to the piano.
Bore distance and angles are critical.
It's not an easy job. Hammers must have necessary value to justify.
Also, you need to consider the shape of the hammer tails for checking purposes.
You may fine it better to just buy new set.
If you are intent on trying, do a couple samples first.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
None of your post makes any sense to me. Have you had the hammers replaced and do you have the original hammers? If so, you should discuss this with whoever replaced the hammers.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
Everything makes a difference.
I have reused a used set but I will remove the old shanks, plug the holes with appropriate dowel, and trim flush and then re-drill for proper fit on the shanks and to the piano.
Bore distance and angles are critical.
It's not an easy job. Hammers must have necessary value to justify.
Also, you need to consider the shape of the hammer tails for checking purposes.
You may fine it better to just buy new set.
If you are intent on trying, do a couple samples first.

Thanks for the info,
I 'm think the tail length is shorter slighly, but not much when placed side by side, exactly at the bore, for comparison;
But -I am going to try a couple samples in each section, (I have 3 )- before buying new .
The existing original ones are pretty shot and have been treated - hardened, and voicing doesn't seem to help much .

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
If you have no experience replacing hammers-I can with almost 100% certainty say that you will not be able to produce a quality of work that results in a great sounding and playing piano if you undertake this endeavor.

There are so many things to evaluate and make decisions on beyond just the simple dimensions.

Besides, how do you know the present hammers cannot be tone-regulated for good results?

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 02/28/16 10:17 PM. Reason: typo

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I cannot agree with Ed McMorrow any more. Not only is replacing a set of hammers a very difficult skill to master, but there is a lot more to it than what meets the eye.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
But that is exactly what Ed McMorrow *is* cautioning, no?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I think that Ed Hall is saying is that it is impossible for him to believe in Ed McMurrow's advice any more strongly than he does, because the advice is so clear and correct -- not that he disagrees with Ed M.--

And I agree with Ed M. also! Imagine my surprise in piano-tech school when everything inside the piano turned out to have an effect on everything else!

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
H
H
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
If you have no experience replacing hammers-I can with almost 100% certainty say that you will not be able to produce a quality of work that results in a great sounding and playing piano if you undertake this endeavor.

I guess the OP, needs to replace hammers a thousand times, before success, no? smile

~HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Making and following a course of study to acquire the skill set needed to do hammer replacement is what I would suggest if one wants to do this job. And that is why the job is difficult to learn. You have to know something about how hammers make tone and touch. Very few people have this knowledge.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Being I have the original hammers (-and they have been treated with lacquer,) one other question.
How would I attempt a acetone bathe to remove the lacquer from the hammers?
Any info helpful.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Didn't you say in your original post that the hammers had not been treated?

And why would technicians give you any advice on this point when you have not seemed to grasp the major point technicians have been making, that this project is ill-advised on the face of it and, in addition, is in untrained hands?

Last edited by bellspiano; 03/02/16 11:48 AM.

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
From a non-tech point of view:

I just had all my hammers replaced in my vintage upright, and my tech was kind enough to email me pictures of the work he was doing in his shop... and I witnessed the work he did on the day he returned the hammers.

THIS IS AN ART... DO NOT DO YOURSELF.

There are just some things in life for which you need someone with the training, experience and fine-tuned skills. This is one of them.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bellspiano
Didn't you say in your original post that the hammers had not been treated?

No, that is not what I wrote,

Maybe read post 1 and 3 in sequence,
"I have grand piano hammers that are used, but appear to be in good condition, (There is no wearing and they don’t appear treated .)
I haven’t measured the bore diameter yet, but by eyeing them they appear to have a smaller bore length than my original in the piano.
My question is this.
If I were to use the smaller bore length piano hammers by replacing the original hammer heads with the smaller bore length-ed , would it make a significant difference in the strike /sound etc?
… would it work ?
Thanks for the info,
I 'm think the tail length is shorter slighly, but not much when placed side by side, exactly at the bore, for comparison;
But -I am going to try a couple samples in each section, (I have 3 )- before buying new .
The existing original ones are pretty shot and have been treated - hardened, and voicing doesn't seem to help much .
"
Originally Posted by bellspiano

And why would technicians give you any advice on this point when you have not seemed to grasp the major point technicians have been making, that this project is ill-advised on the face of it and, in addition, is in untrained hands?

You'll have to answer the "why would....." yourself.

But the reason I'd try is ,the piano is my own, the sound is bad now, and it's something worth trying to do in my opinion, with limited funds on my own.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Also there is one point not being made here, and that is .
If I try and fail (meaning the piano sounds the same or worse after a bathing or attempt at replacing the hammers myself- then I am at the point of where I'd pay someone else-not much different than what some have suggested for the start.
If it works ...well I'll become a tech. smile LOL

Elementary logic....Dr. Watson

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Thank you for your clarification. You are right, I had confused the two sets of hammers.

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Stepping away quietly now --

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Your assuming a tech will be willing to clean up after you and create a musical Insturment - I would not myself but that's just me, I don't follow DIY ers.
If you know what type of hardener is in your hammers and know that acetone is the correct solvent all I can suggest is to do a couple of samples in each section and see what result you get.
You should have an idea where in the hammer the hardener is, shoulder, strike point ???
Hopefully you have an idea of what you want musically.
i have only done something slightly similar once or twice so I can't get more specific than that

x-rpt
retired ptg member
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
One thing to consider is it's often more costly to undue the damage that someone else has done than had it been done correctly the first time. And this is especially true when it comes to hammer replacement work that someone has botched.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
-Big thanks for the advice; all of the responses are professional and prudent.
They made me “think”, which is a good “thingy” to do, rather than start“impulse” projects. .
I am going to “sit on this” for a while, or until the project is more affordable, or with more “research.”
PS: I use a PX 100 in the meantime that I am satisfied with, for now. I wanted a more authentic sound experience but digital will suffice now . Nothing beats Real.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission