2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Hi All, 

I recently just purchased the Kawai ES8 which I must say is an incredible digital piano. 

I want to protect it when I am taking it away from home, I recently had a Gator 88 Slim but the weight factor was just too much having to move it 4 flights of stairs to my apartment. 

My case/bag requirements are if possible- 
4kg weight or less
Must have wheels 
Shoulder straps would be a bonus.

I have found a few so far and I am leaning towards the this one - (Soundwear Stagebag 88) appears to have the most reviews and best.

I have also noticed a (Kawai MP Softcase) also made by Soundwear with similar spec but maybe not just as solid.

This other one I have found (Kawai SC-1 Softcase) must be really new or just released as I struggling to find details for it apart from the basics that Thomann supply. This case is quite interesting as it has handles at both sides if you have a good friend that fancies helping you and putting his back out also:)
This case also has shoulder straps which I think is very good with the 4 flights of stair situation.
I am really interested to know if Soundwear also make this bag as they are getting a good name with piano bags and not wanting to take a risk without seeing any reviews or knowing much about the bag. 
They are all over £100 so I need to make sure I try pick the right one for my needs.

Thanks in advance and any advice would be much appreciated. 

Ryan 

F
F
BTW i saw the Kawai Case and it did look well made. I just did not like how it was configured.

Here is what I use for short haul gigs for my ES7

http://kaces.com/product/313/xpress-series-keyboard-bag-88-key-slim

Please double check the dimensions before ordering.

For longer and more complex transportation I use this case:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...rNtt=skb%20keyboard%20cases&index=10

I have just noticed this case and if I had not bought the above case I would look at this case:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...rNtt=skb%20keyboard%20cases&index=12

Again check the dimensions

Last edited by FrankDaddy; 03/05/16 09:36 PM.
R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Frank they all look pretty good cases .

Is this the one you seen Frank ?-
I think it looks quite good having shoulder straps and handles at both ends but no reviews as it's very new. No idea of the quality of who makes it for Kawai.
https://m.thomann.de/gb/kawai_sc_1_softcase.htm?o=10&ref=mmc_a_10&search=1457234265

My other option is this one and made by soundwear for Kawai which is a good thing from reading reviews and looking closely at pictures I might be able to attach shoulder straps as it appears to have circles on the strap but I could be wrong .
https://m.thomann.de/gb/kawai_mp_softcase.htm?o=1&ref=mmc_a_1&search=1457234265

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Ryan,

I will try to confirm the manufacturer of the SC-1 case with Kawai Europe.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks James,

Really appreciate you helping out and going the extra mile as always to provide great service, If possible would you know if the Kawai MP Softcase made by Soundwear can have shoulder straps attached? looking at pictures it appears to show loops next to the handles or maybe it comes with straps but every website has very limited information on bags/cases apart from dimensions.

Kind regards

Ryan

Last edited by ryan7; 03/06/16 11:33 PM.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I've been looking for a bag as well... but neither of the ones ryan7 links to is available in the U.S.! That seems odd. I've been pretty happy with the Gator "slim line" 88 case, but the zipper is wearing out after a few years of use. I see that the Gator now has three wheels (mine has two), so perhaps there have been other upgrades. I wouldn't mind something lighter if it's available.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
Online Content
Hello Ryan,

Here is the information I received from a colleague at Kawai Europe, which organised the development of the SC-1 gigbag.

Hi James,

The SC-1 gigbag is a brand new accessory designed by Kawai Europe, and developed to our specification by one of the leading gigbag manufacturers.

Previous gigbags were produced by Soundwear with a Kawai logo added, this new bag is completely different and unique to Kawai.
More information can be found at the product page below:

http://www.kawai.de/sc1softcase.htm

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
I've been looking for a bag as well... but neither of the ones ryan7 links to is available in the U.S.!

I believe the ES/MP gigbag sold in the US was developed by Kawai America and therefore a little different to the gigbag developed by Kawai Europe.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you James much appreciated. I think I am going to order this Kawai case http://www.dv247.com/cases/kawai-softcase-with-castors--225033 with the hope of being able to attach shoulder strap if at all possible as impossible find out online if this is possible but looks a good enough bag with wheels and light enough 4kg smile .

Thanks again James

Ryan

Online Content
Hello Ryan,

That looks like the previous Kawai case, produced by Soundwear.
By all accounts it's a decent gigbag, however I would double check with the retailer whether or not a shoulder strap can be added, just in case.

Cheers,
James
x

R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Really sorry to bother you again James but I am now tempted to purchase the newer Kawai sc-1 case but only Thomann has it available and lacking information. The dimensions they state are 1400 x 400 x 180 which to be honest sounds too big for the es8 . Are these external or internal dimensions do you know ? Trying also to work out if it will fit it my car .

Reason I am considering this one is because it has shoulder straps,wheels and handles at either end if someone is good enough to lend a hand smile.it just looks massive in the pictures compared to the mp softcase . My previous case was a gator 88 slim and weighed 9.8kg and really large in my opinion externally .

The Kawai mp softcase made by soundwear has dimensions of 138 x 35 x 16 (cm) which looks very tight . Some websites mention it to be suitable for es4-5-6 and then some mention es7 and es8.

Thanks in advance James

Online Content
Hello Ryan,

It may be worthwhile contacting Kawai Europe directly to raise these queries.

However, I shall also try to find out for you.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi James , was not sure who best to contact.

Thanks again really is appreciated.

Ryan

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I was impressed with the links James provided on the SC-1 case, especially if the weight is accurate: that's a good 15 lbs (or 6 kg) lighter than my current Gator case that's wearing out, and that's a substantial difference. Perhaps it won't protect quite as well if it's that light -- but I always load the instrument myself, so (a) I know that I'm careful and unlikely to drop it or stack amps and speakers on it, and (b) it's my back and legs, so lighter is good.

I like having a handle on both ends: that's something I've missed on the Gator bag when trying to carry the board up stairs or over rough ground with a colleague. The big zipper pulls are a nice touch too.

Thomann says the dimensions are 1400 x 400 x 180.

My ES8 is roughly 1375 x 355 x 155. So it's not too oversized.

I ended up ordering it from Thomann.de to have delivered to me in the U.S., letting Paypal convert dollars to euros. Outside the EU you get back the VAT tax, so the entire cost including shipping was just under $180, which is not too much more than the Gator GK-88 Slim (currently $145 at Amazon), which was my runner-up. And the Kawai-branded gig bag that's available in the U.S. is $250 at Kraft, $289 from Kawai, and doesn't give a weight. I'll report on the SC-1 when it arrives.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Will be interesting to hear what you think of it Rodney when it arrives . When do you expect to receive it ?

It certainly looks good value for money and has everything I want with a case ,light weight 4kg shoulder straps,2 handles and wheels .

28mm padding sounds good as most bags are 20-25 so should protect pretty well I would imagine .

I may just take the chance and order the newer bag sc-1 over my original choice below https://m.thomann.de/gb/kawai_mp_softcase.htm?o=0&ref=mrl_a_0&search=1457745747

The above case (mp bag) has dimensions that make it look a very tight fit for the es8 so not 100% what is my best option .

Last edited by ryan7; 03/11/16 09:27 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
I ended up ordering it from Thomann.de to have delivered to me in the U.S., letting Paypal convert dollars to euros. Outside the EU you get back the VAT tax, so the entire cost including shipping was just under $180, which is not too much more than the Gator GK-88 Slim (currently $145 at Amazon), which was my runner-up. And the Kawai-branded gig bag that's available in the U.S. is $250 at Kraft, $289 from Kawai, and doesn't give a weight. I'll report on the SC-1 when it arrives.

That sounds like a pretty good deal Rodney!
I shall look forward to reading your comments about the SC-1 when it arrives, and forward your feedback to the chaps in Europe and the US.

Cheers,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by ryan7
The above case (mp bag) has dimensions that make it look a very tight fit for the es8 so not 100% what is my best option .

Hello Ryan, according to my colleague in Europe, the ES7/ES8 fits the SC-1 perfectly, however the previously SoundWear gigbag was too tight.

As noted previously, Kawai Europe developed the bag independently of Kawai Japan and other Kawai subsidiaries, so this accessory is currently unavailable in the US, and UK etc. but can be purchased from Thomann.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
ryan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks very much James this information is greatly appreciated . I will be ordering the Kawai SC-1 and will let you know sone feedback .

Regards

Ryan

Online Content
That's great to hear - please let me know thoughts on the bag when it arrives.

Cheers,
James
x

Hi lads, I thought I'd ask in here because es7/es8 owners have posted here instead of starting a new thread. Does anyone know if I buy a cheap separate pedal for my es8 will it work as a soft or sostenuto pedal or will I have to spend the €100 on the f-20 double pedal?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission