2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, 5 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, trying to find out more or less what a Steinway 4510 Sheraton from 1964, in seemingly good condition (haven't had it independently assessed yet), would be worth? Any ideas?

Thanks!
F.

$3,000 to $7,000 depending on the color also.

Last edited by Kenan; 03/19/16 11:29 AM.

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
I've been playing piano with a teacher
since January '15
Studying under Eunmi Ko of USF as of June '16

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks very much, Kenan, for your quick reply!
It has a walnut finish, in good shape.
F.

Originally Posted by follicle
Thanks very much, Kenan, for your quick reply!
It has a walnut finish, in good shape.
F.

You're welcome, Walnut would be between 3k and 5k or 6k smile

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
I've been playing piano with a teacher
since January '15
Studying under Eunmi Ko of USF as of June '16

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks!!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by follicle
Thanks!!

With all due respect, I'm not sure a 13 year old with one year of piano under his belt is necessarily in the best position to value a piano like this. I'm 3 times his age and I'm not either!

I'd wait for some industry folk to chime in before I make any moves.

F
OP Offline
F
Right... I was wondering about that too...!
Anyone else, do you have an opinion?
F.

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S

David

F
OP Offline
F
Hmmm, I don't think that one would be a real comparison... that lady got lucky!
F.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Here's a Steinway 4510 Sheraton advertised on eBay for $3700; but it's a 42" console. So, apparently, the 4510 model designation doesn't necessarily mean it is 45" tall (a studio model).

Steinway 4510 Sheraton for $3700

Typically, anything with the Steinway name is not going to be cheap, even it is ready for the land-fill. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
F
OP Offline
F
Sorry, I didn't specify, it's indeed 45" tall.
I'm not sure I trust ebay either... though that's more like what I was expecting.
Thanks!
F.

G
G
That was so coincidental Rick. I happened to be looking at the same ad and was about to post it here!
To the OP, http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall11/65.html has a depreciation chart for it. In my unprofessional opinion, your piano may be worth somewhere around 2500 to 3000, assuming its in excellent condition, and has no rusted parts. Ultimately, its worth what someone pays for it. In my area, I have seen Steinway 1098 uprights that have sold for around 1000, and some were in reasonably good condition. This is another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinway-19...elerated-action-and-bench-/161913017397.

Again, I am no professional, and this figure is simply based upon prices in other areas.
Welcome to the Forum!

Music Lover: "Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever."
Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Scherzo No.2, Op.31 (Scherzo in B flat m)
C
C
Kenan, I feel we need to be careful posting comments when valuations are involved. It's not at all straight forward, and while opinions and personal experiences and insights are very much welcome, it's probably best not to state a price range as if it's a sure thing.

One way to post comments like that, though, would be to cite your source with a link and to include language such as "It's possible the price range could be this and that, based on this source I found."

Carla :o))

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks, GB Piano Lover!

According to the helpful depreciation chart you linked to, it should be worth something between 9-12 grand (at 36000 new), but according to Ebay, clearly people are willing to let go of theirs for less.

I should be more specific about the piano -- I don't own it, rather I have the possibility to buy it, and the seller is asking 4700 dollars. I'm in France where there's not a lot of Steinways available (not at all, actually they are rare). Is it a good deal, in your opinion (everyone)? Or overpriced?

I know it depends on condition and if I really like it, which I'm not sure about yet (and am looking into the condition). Pricing is partly subjective. It also depends on market, but I don't want to pay a premium just for being in France, if the piano isn't really worth it.

Thanks again,
F.

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi,

Yes it does seem like that was a good deal for them! I don't know what an elderly Steinway console would sell for but what else is available for your $4700 dollars in your area?

Good luck as you search,

David

F
OP Offline
F
Hi David,

There are lots of Yamahas, Kawais, Petrofs, Weinbachs, and a few Gaveaus and Rameaus for a bit more...
F.

G
G
Well, according to depreciation, it probably would be worth around 4880 (if well kept and maintained exceptionally). That figure is inclusive of the wide range (35-70), therefore, I would say that you would probably have to include much more depreciation as 52 years and 37 years makes a huge difference. Therefore, I think it would be somewhere around 3000. The list price is probably high as it is matching the name on the front of the fallboard. Since you have a variety of more options nearby, I would suggest taking a look at those as well. Some of those will most likely be much newer, and probably taller (given they're uprights). This is simply my opinion based on other facts (so I guess it still counts as an opinion), and you will probably have to have many other people advise you for confirmation. I really hope this helps!

Music Lover: "Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever."
Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Scherzo No.2, Op.31 (Scherzo in B flat m)
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
follicle,

There is a member here who is a fairly frequent poster, Jean Claude. You might seek his input if he doesn't find this thread himself.

David

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
They seek him here.....actually just back from my first wedding of the season, these people are trully mad, fancy wanting music outdoors in the middle of March. It was a bit like La Bohème, I don't mean
C. Aznavour I mean Mimi. Anyway, I've had a quick look at this post and I'm not sure quite what to say, however:

Perhaps the first question is whether you are able to make a judgement on the condition of the piano; if not find somebody who is if you think you want to go further with this. I think that there are two aspects to this, firstly if you are a pretty good player and know what you want in terms of tone and touch, go and try it out and see if you like it, then if you do, find somebody who can give it a proper technical inspection. If you are considering paying this sort of sum for a relatively elderly piano you really should do this.

Next point. France is a big place and prices in, for example, Paris or Strasbourg will be higher than in the provinces. I live in the sunny (hah) SW and my judgement on prices will reflect that.

Next point. France is a happy hunting ground for used pianos. I mean that if you know what you want and don't mind a bit of a wait you can find some real bargains. Personally I wouldn't dream of paying this sort of money for a 50 year old small piano no matter who the maker might be. That having been said, I don't see many small Steinway uprights around these parts so I don't really know how good they are. For the same sort of money however, or rather less, you could buy a newer full-size upright by one of the really good German makers and I have to say that I think that you would be getting a better instrument if you were to do so.

This may all be a bit rambling on account of hypothermia, I'll read it through in the morning and see if it makes any sense. J-C.

Last edited by Jean Claude; 03/19/16 09:01 PM. Reason: Tiny Hand Frozen, hence errors..
Online Content
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
Perhaps the first question is whether you are able to make a judgement on the condition of the piano; if not find somebody who is if you think you want to go further with this. I think that there a

Oops... fingers froze in the middle of typing post. Weddings in March, and outdoors in the cold, can reek havoc on the hands and fingers. smile

I hope you are okay, Jean Claude. We appreciate our PW friend from France. Vive la France! smile

Rick

P.S. I see you finished your post... glad the fingers thawed out. smile

Last edited by Rickster; 03/19/16 08:48 PM.

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission