2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2530783 04/15/16 05:43 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Yesterday I was in a pianostore where they sell digital piano's as well as acoustic piano's. When the salesman came up te me and I asked a question about digital piano's and told him I own a Kawai CA17 and that I'm a beginning student, he said: "well you're not going to play on that piano for a long time. Eventually you're going to buy an acoustic piano." He also added: "if you're playing for a couple of years, you're not going to progress anymore on a digital piano".
I was wondring: Are there many of you who only practice on a digital piano at home? Of course I enjoy playing on a grand much more, the touch and tone is so much better. But I always thought people who buy a real piano must be professional pianists. For me this is just a hobby, I would never spent the amount of money on a piano like I would spent it on a car. Plus I want to practice whenever i have the time, even in the evenings, so I need the ability to practice with headphones.
I really like playing the piano, and want to get really good at it, but I don't see myself buying an acoustic piano.

Tim

R
R
Is only one solution for you as a really good substitute of an acoustic piano - buying a good virtual piano like Synthogy Ivory (for example ) for computer/laptop and great midi controller like Kawai VPC1.
Any way - every digital piano or VST solution always be a castration the sense of touch and hearing.
P.S. I agree with your salesman but life is compromise.

Last edited by rychubil; 04/15/16 06:38 AM.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Tim,
I think the technical term for that salesman is "con artist." He's full of B.S. I wonder if he works on commission? In any case, you'll do fine with your kawai CA17. It can take you very far along your piano journey.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Guess Im lucky. I had an aversion to acoustic pianos till I bought my Roland. Now they dont seem too bad.
Most Id pay for one would be £350. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
A
What he told you is bollocks. Particularly with your instrument you can go up all the way to Rakhmaninov, especially if you have a chance to play an acoustic grand say once a week to make sure skills are transferable.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I had an aversion to acoustic pianos till I bought my Roland.
?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws
Guess Im lucky. I had an aversion to acoustic pianos till I bought my Roland. Now they dont seem too bad.
Most Id pay for one would be £350. . .

Not sure if you really mean't what you said here.

"Had an aversion" means you did NOT like something ...

So ... you said you DID NOT LIKE acoustic pianos until you bought your Roland (digital) piano. Now, acoustic pianos (meaning NOT Digital) do not seem so bad.

Is this what you mean't to say ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Peter didn't quite like acoustic pianos. However his digital Roland is so bad it makes him prefer acoustic pianos wink

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
I was tryin ever so hard to be funny. . . missus sez Im just trying.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
L
L
Salesman is saying BS.

Having said that I would never expend more on a car than on a piano. The piano holds its value better, in fact I am not going to buy a car at all and expend it all in the piano.

And even as a hobbyst I will get a grand for enjoyment and sheer beauty of the instrument.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Conservatory Canada has certified all the HP and LX pianos to be used for Piano Examinations up to associate level.

So I would say that the salesman was doing his job and trying to get you to make a higher value purchase.

Doesn't make it right though.

The best piano is the one you can play whenever you like, and one that you enjoy.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B
I agree with the salesman to an extent regarding advanced repertoire which requires pedal - the digitals I've played (including the AvantGrands made by Yamaha) just don't allow for the pedaling and dynamic nuances I want.

The sales person also likely gets more commission if he sells you an acoustic vs a digital.

With that said, I think you can progress a LOT with a digital - I still do most of my sightreading on my digital, along with practicing sight transposition. I usually start the beginning stages of learning an advanced piece on it too (notes and rhythms) as I can use headphones and the whole house doesn't need to hear me learning pieces in the early on stages. For refining dynamics and pedaling, I always use the grand.

For what it's worth I only had access to a digital for about 7 years, and I was able to continue learning music and recording/publishing to youtube. They weren't Liszt's Etudes or anything of the like, but I did manage an Art Tatum transcription on the digital. I think if a good digital is the only thing you have access to, then it is far better than not having a piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you can afford, have room for, and privacy (where you would be able to play for hours without aggravating neighbors) a fine acoustic piano - preferably a baby grand is preferable - PianoWorld has an excellent buyer's guide. The actions are generally better, what you play has a greater connection with the hammers and strings, the resonance and ambient, room filling sound is like no other - but it will need tuning and some care. But it will last a very very long time.

Digitals are desirable when you don't have the budget, or the room, need to be able to practice in silence for others peace, don't have the budget for tuning and maintenance. Only the highest end DPs come close to replicating a fine acoustic piano. With that said, DPs have brought the joy of keyboard music to so many people who otherwise would never be able to afford a fine acoustic piano. For some, the benefits of a digital outweigh their desire for an acoustic and they are more than pleased with the facsimile. However, digitals aren't all created equally (just like their acoustic counterparts), so be sure to do your research and choose wisely. Piano World provides a digital piano buyer's guide as well I believe.

As a side note, Yamaha has a line of Silent pain pianos which are worth a look if within your budget,.

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/pianos-keyboards/silent-piano.html

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Timpskie

I was wondring: Are there many of you who only practice on a digital piano at home?

I'm one such, but I'm hardly an advanced player. still, I mostly play classical and the expressiveness of the action is hardly a limit to repertoire at least up to Schumann. Coupled to Pianoteq, even I can sound pretty impressive smile

Of course I enjoy playing on a grand much more, the touch and tone is so much better. But I always thought people who buy a real piano must be professional pianists. For me this is just a hobby, I would never spent the amount of money on a piano like I would spent it on a car. Plus I want to practice whenever i have the time, even in the evenings, so I need the ability to practice with headphones.
I really like playing the piano, and want to get really good at it, but I don't see myself buying an acoustic piano.

precisely my thoughts, plus:

Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
DPs have brought the joy of keyboard music to so many people who otherwise would never be able to afford a fine acoustic piano. For some, the benefits of a digital outweigh their desire for an acoustic and they are more than pleased with the facsimile.

the situation kinda reminds me of Bach: composing for huge church organs and only having a couple of harpsichords and clavichords at home to deal with it... he managed just fine

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In fact Bach considered it essential that one composed without an instrument. What's more, he said pupils who needed an instrument to aid them hear/compose music would be better off with another job. I don't have the quote but I believe it was from Bach's biography by Forkel's which I read maybe twenty years ago.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/15/16 03:19 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always thought people who buy a real piano must be professional pianists.

From the homes where I have worked over the years I assure you this isn't the case! Ha ha. Beautiful instruments as furniture with picture frames on top sit largely unplayed but for a hire at dinner parties. I fear there are plenty of professional pianists who can't afford a fine acoustic piano. Many that do get their hands on one look for a fair price on a restored piano from the golden age.

Then there are some really quite good uprights bought for the kids who have since grown and gone. Lots of these around as well. Nothing wrong with a second hand acoustic if its been cared for.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by login
Salesman is saying BS.

Having said that I would never expend more on a car than on a piano. The piano holds its value better, in fact I am not going to buy a car at all and expend it all in the piano.

And even as a hobbyst I will get a grand for enjoyment and sheer beauty of the instrument.

+1

I used to expend a lotta money on expendable stuff, but now I mostly expend my money on pianos. Eventually, I hope to expand my piano collection, but I will definitely not expend more than I can afford.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
In fact Bach considered it essential that one composed without an instrument. What's more, he said pupils who needed an instrument to aid them hear/compose music would be better off with another job. I don't have the quote but I believe it was from Bach's biography by Forkel's which I read maybe twenty years ago.

Bach called people who composed at the keyboard "knights of the keyboard." He didn't mean it as a compliment.

Supposedly Bach composed some of the WTC while in jail.

B
B
Originally Posted by David Farley
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Bach called people who composed at the keyboard "knights of the keyboard." He didn't mean it as a compliment.

Stravinsky could only compose at the piano, even though he wasn't much of a pianist himself. But then, he was creating weird rhythms & sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pV2cX0qxs

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
B
Originally Posted by Timpskie

I was wondring: Are there many of you who only practice on a digital piano at home?

I only practice on a digital at home grin - albeit a high-end one (no speakers either - I have neighbors to worry about).

Of course, I'd rather have a Bösendorfer Imperial. But then, I'd have to buy a mansion to house it in. And make sure my neighbors are separated from my mansion by a couple of thick stone walls with ten feet of air (or vacuum) in between.

Still, I get to play on an acoustic grand at least once a month (in recital). I'd always advise anyone who practices on digital to get regular access to an acoustic, and make sure they treat their digital like an acoustic (i.e. set it at the right volume, and don't change it to suit your playing), if they want to develop proper piano technique.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission