2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mcl853 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey all, first post.

I am getting close to deciding to purchase a piano with the PianoDisc IQ Ipad system installed and have a few questions about PianoDisc Streaming Radio.

First of all, the idea of PianoDisc Radio is exactly what I want in a player piano. Not having to purchase music and listening to a wide range of curated music. This aligns much more to how I listen to music in general (i.e., Pandora over iTunes).

My questions center around whether or not I can believe in the promise of PianoDisc Radio:

1) How good is the wireless playback? Early reviews I have seen say that playback can be a little choppy (especially for fast pieces) as the system does not have a sophisticated buffering system. Has that improved?
2) How reliable is PianoDisc Radio? Is it really 24/7, where I can turn it on any time I want? Any experiences where the system is down?
3) Do I really need a really fast internet connection? I have my cable company's budget internet. It is good for browsing the internet and streaming videos on Amazon. Will this be good enough for PianoDisc Radio?
4) Are there a variety of stations? I think I saw a classical and a Christmas station. Any others?

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think digital player files are very large. You could check with PianoDisc directly about this and then search your internet providers website for the data speed capacity.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
M
PianoDisc Radio is just streaming audio with similar bandwidth requirements as Pandora, Spotify, etc. Streaming audio requires less bandwidth than video, so as long as you aren't simultaneously watching a couple of HD video streams at the same time on your Internet connection, you'll be fine.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If they are streaming files to be played on the PianoDisc system, it would use a lot less bandwidth than even streaming audio.

Semipro Tech
M
M
Yamaha's "Disklavier Radio" involves downloading data files and so requires less bandwidth, but PianoDisc's implementation does involve streaming audio (at 256 Kbps).

M
M
The PianoDisc Streaming Radio is a novelty, but in my experience (which was last year) the novelty wears thin because the same couple of dozen tracks play on permanent loop. Some of these are cut short or interrupted so it is not a very satisfying experience. In their favour, however, I must say that at Christmas, Pianodisc put on an alternative loop which had some very good tracks which prompted me to buy originals from them.

Likewise, Pianotube is a novelty, but only a dozen videos have been made in recent years.

Far better to have – as I do now – many hundreds of midis playing directly into the piano from the Playlist of a midi app (like QMidi) via a midi cable direct to your piano.

I bought a little-used Pianodisc Grand, secondhand. It has Midi In & Out ports. Initially I was converting midis using MusiConnect.app to play them through the audio connection behind the CD player. The results were barely adequate, and the files were huge in size and vastly inferior in output quality and nuance to raw midi being cabled directly into the piano.

As I replied today to another post on this Forum:

If you are buying a new piano, ensure that it has midi ports. You will get much more quality reproduction from your piano using only raw midi. (See another of my replies to this Forum for details as to why).

I play raw midi directly from my computer into my piano via USB thru a cheap cable which has 2 midi plugs (in & out) running from a USB plug.

To play a midi you will need to open it using a free shareware midi editor such as MidiSwing or Aria Maestosa, covert it to Type 0 then adjust the note velocities down to suit your piano (so the hammers in your piano do not pound the strings too hard). Any and every nuance of playback can be adjusted on screen in real time as you play back directly on the piano through the editor. Once adjusted, these midi files will play your piano perfectly every time.

Thereafter, you can use a Playlist in a mdid app to play any number of midis in any preferred order.

Optimising (as I call it) can be done quickly, but must be done for each midi, as any midi taken from the internet will differ from others in note velocities and midi type, depending on the keyboard or system which created it.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission