2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2534295 04/26/16 09:14 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Does anyone use the flat finger technique for piano? I never heard of this until recently. I'm planning to work on it to see how it goes.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Of course each piece/passage can call for different hand and fingers approach, but I naturally/mostly play with my fingers quite flat. Not because I think it's a recommended technique, but simply because I always played like that since 40 years and I think it gives me better control on the keys and sound. Each pianist can prefer something else as nobody have same hand/fingers size, length, etc.

I
I
My teacher told me a lot of Chopin pieces call for flat fingers. I think I posted a question about it recently actually.

Yamaha U1
Yamaha CLP 545
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
For me, flat fingers give more tension but they are needed at some places.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by INBoston
My teacher told me a lot of Chopin pieces call for flat fingers. I think I posted a question about it recently actually.

INBoston, flat fingers was the only way I was able to play a Chopin Etude years ago. If fingers were curved there was no way, unless fingers were 5 or 6 inches long!!!

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Check this out. If fingers are flat, the 4th finger has more independence, but not so when curved. When curved there is much more tension in trying to raise the 4th finger.

F
f3r Offline
F
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Check this out. If fingers are flat, the 4th finger has more independence, but not so when curved. When curved there is much more tension in trying to raise the 4th finger.

You're right, it does feel easier. I don't know if I'm ever going to use flat fingers, my teacher hasn't talked about it and I don't know how it can be useful. I simply don't raise my 4th finger independently anymore, I use rotation now.

Funnily enough, I accidentally flattened my fingers during my lesson yesterday and my teacher called me out on it. And, yes, my fourth finger (on a sharp) was the culprit. The solution? Move my hand forward a bit.

Roland F130-R
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I would be careful with this, because over time I believe you can get into physical trouble playing with over-straightened fingers. It's one of the pitfalls they warn against in Taubman technique. However, the fingers can appear relatively flat without being over-straightened. You want to keep at least a little of the natural curve.

1989 Baldwin R
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
There are different ways to play with "flat fingers", some work better than others. But for me it's a necessity, many things would be unplayable with curved fingers due to hand shape and size. Flat fingers are also more secure on black keys when one has small and boney fingertips smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
people need to understand that keyboard technique has evolved quite a lot since Bach days. simple curved style is ok for most of Bach and up to some Beethoven, but then composers began reaching for ever distant keys and the playing needs wider chords and "flat", stretching fingers spanning more than an octave often...

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Like most things in piano, there's a place for flat fingers, but (it's my understanding), the default should be gently curved fingers, like you'd have if you relaxed your hands at your sides.

Flat fingers require effort. Try it--relax your hands and then stretch your fingers out flat.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I don't think it is much of a problem how much effort you use to play the individual chords or notes, but rather that you let go of the tension and return to a relaxed position as soon as possible.

One can get into trouble by the opposite as well, trying to keep the fingers curved by force. I think piano playing is more about finding a good balance for one's hands than about one preferred technique.

Last edited by outo; 04/27/16 01:35 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My teacher recommends using flatter fingers for legato cantabile passages. His explanation has nothing to do with tension, relaxation, rotation and the other things already mentionned in this discussion. He explains that fingers are simply more sensitive on the pads than on the tips and that helps control the sound better. To me that makes sense. When you feel something with your fingers you usually try to feel with the finger pads rather than with the tips.

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
I tried the flat fingers today. I got so caught up in reading the music that I found that I went back to what I was normally playing like, curved. Fun to work with a little, sort of out of the box fun.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
.... He explains that fingers are simply more sensitive on the pads than on the tips and that helps control the sound better. ....

But the sense of touch is completely unnecessary to playing the piano. I have some nerve damage, and have lost all feeling in RH 2, and most of it in RH 1 and 3. It makes no difference in how I play, because the loop is closed by the sound, not the feeling.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was told that the finger should be "flatter" with just the natural curve to relieve tension and increase speed. It works.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
You should relax all of your fingers and knead them out from knuckle like a cat!!!! That is the sensation you want, as that is literally stretching the bridge or your hand and you will be able to feel every single finger muscle by doing this. PLAY the note with a curved finger, but don't attack it with one. This is how Debussy viewed technique and it completely saved my life

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
You should relax all of your fingers and knead them out from knuckle like a cat!!!! That is the sensation you want, as that is literally stretching the bridge or your hand and you will be able to feel every single finger muscle by doing this. PLAY the note with a curved finger, but don't attack it with one. This is how Debussy viewed technique and it completely saved my life

Itsfreakingmeout, is there any literature on Debussy's view on technique? Would love to read it. Thanks.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
http://www.djupdal.org/karstein/debussy/method/m09.shtml

ENJOY!!

"Claude Debussy's ideas on piano playing and how to play his own works...using a formed hand position and outstretched fingers that stayed close to the keys and kneaded them."

I've never played a Debussy piece in my life, but you don't have to in order to utilize this technique. It's statement about the general overall feeling that the player wants...not how the player should play HIS pieces.

Last edited by itsfreakingmeout; 05/05/16 03:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission