2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
is like asking Apple to make current features work on an early model iPhone

Bad example, "free" software updates is actually what Apple does, unlike other smartphone vendors. Of course, it's not really free, you simply pay upfront for this when you buy the device.

Many acoustic pianos offer the option to upgrade the silent system independently by a qualified piano technician. For a digital in a upright-style cabinet a manufacturer could also offer to upgrade the sound generator, if you are fine with the action, the speakers and your sound board.

So instead of putting an entire CS10 into the oven and replacing it with a CS11, a technician could come in, just replace the digital electronics. This includes billing the upgrade, it won't be free of course. The new $1000 graphics card for your PC isn't free either. smile

To make such a thing possible, a digital piano has to be prepared at the factory to be upgradeable and that would increase cost though.

But saving the hassle of replacing an entire cabinet may draw in people, who currently stick with cheaper slab-type digital pianos and people upgrading their digitals more often would also open a nice stream of additional revenue to the manufacturer.

it would open one stream while slamming the door shut on another.

It is not as simple as replacing a mainboard. The Cabinet and Speaker system are designed to operate seamlessly with the sound source. What sounded good with a CA-65, may have had to substantially change for a CA-67.

The HP-605 and 506 couldn't have been more different. Different sound sources, and speaker systems. A mainboard update couldn't have accomplished what the engineers did in the total redesign. Even in terms of the LX-15 to the LX-17 (and I'm sure with the CS-10/CS-11) although the physical appearance is similar, the differences under the hood in many aspects make this an impossibility.

Jay

Industry Consultant
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
gnuboi, I can see the attraction of 'upgradeable' sounds, however I don't believe this is technically possible - for one, the CS11 has much more memory than the CS10 in order to accommodate the new Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 samples, among others.

Originally Posted by gnuboi
I really liked the EX and Shigeru samples on the CA97.

Maybe you can negotiate a favourable part-exchange deal with your dealer to trade in he CS10 for a CS11, when it arrives?

Kind regards,
James
x

Yes I can understand that... I was oversimplifying things. But I think folks agree that obsolescence fears could be abated if parts of the software could be updated (not for free, of course), and you could sell pianos quicker instead of having buyers waiting around (and not buying).

I don't really feel the need to trade-in, though. The CS10 itself is great for what we use it for: playing around with different sounds, volume control, line-in, and most importantly... recording. Yes I could tell my kid to use my handheld recorder but the built-in recording is just easier to use.

Plus, I don't expect the CS11 to cost the same wink

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
gnuboi, I can see the attraction of 'upgradeable' sounds, however I don't believe this is technically possible - for one, the CS11 has much more memory than the CS10 in order to accommodate the new Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 samples, among others.

I really liked the EX and Shigeru samples on the CA97.

Maybe you can negotiate a favourable part-exchange deal with your dealer to trade in he CS10 for a CS11, when it arrives?

Kind regards,
James
x

Yes I can understand that... I was oversimplifying things. But I think folks agree that obsolescence fears could be abated if parts of the software could be updated (not for free, of course), and you could sell pianos quicker instead of having buyers waiting around (and not buying).

I don't really feel the need to trade-in, though. The CS10 itself is great for what we use it for: playing around with different sounds, volume control, line-in, and most importantly... recording. Yes I could tell my kid to use my handheld recorder but the built-in recording is just easier to use.

Plus, I don't expect the CS11 to cost the same wink

But if you love your older model, then what's the big deal? I have an MP11, with the GF action, and since then there's been a release of the CA67/97 and now the CS11 with the GF2 action. I still love my MP11, and if they come out with an MP12 with the GF2 action, it's not going to lessen the enjoyment of my current DP.

Samsung comes out with new phone models ever year along the same line in the hopes that you'll want to upgrade to the "latest and greatest", but some of us keep our stuff for a long time, too. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
For an MP12/GF2 with a nice sounding Physical Modeling Piano, Drawbar Mode clonewheel (best with the HX3) with 9 auto-moving fader-sliders, and all the MIDI functionality of the MP7, I would seriously consider to throw out my MP7 and to spend the extra money.

E
E
no, please no dj toys and stuff, make the mp12 clean

Last edited by euphoria; 04/28/16 12:50 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission