2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2534856 04/28/16 04:40 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm just about to take delivery of my first piano. It has a USB connection to connect to computers and phones. I have a PC and android phone. I am wondering what software you would suggest to use this connection to its full potential? I am clueless what real use I will get out of this connection. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

L
L
In PC you can use virtual instruments: https://www.pianoteq.com/ and http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keys/definitive-piano-collection/ for example. There are other such as Ivory, UVI, VSL and EWQL.

You can also use it to play other virtual instruments that are not pianos, check the rest of Native Instruments offerings for example.

Many virtual instruments work "stand alone" but others need a host, this host are normally "DAW" or Digital Audio workstation, programs used for composition, arranging, sound design, mixing and mastering. There are many DAW around: Logic (if you have a mac), Ableton Live, Cubase, Reason, Studio One, Reaper, Bitwig and protool (the industry standard for recording).

Prices vary, there is something for every budget.

Also consider that you need a decent computer and in PC an audio interface (one made by pro audio equipment) is recommended to achieve lower latency. Also to hear what you are doing in your computer Studio monitors are recommended.

Last edited by login; 04/28/16 05:47 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Which piano did you select?. Some require you to install driver software in order to use the piano keyboard as an input device over USB. Others make use of Windows or Mac OSX's class compliant MIDI driver and are recognized upon connection - what you might call plug and play. Both of those operating systems are superior to Android at the moment for hosting software instruments and delivering low latency reliable performance during play. They also obviously have the most options with regard to software applications.

Y
Y
If you want to use your PC, an audio interface is essential as login suggests.

Here's a minimum setup I'd recommend.

PC...Quad-Core CPU with at least 8GB of RAM and SSD.
Audio Interface...Ask anyone for recommendation but you could grab something that matches your need for around $200 or so.
Headphones...For monitoring.

Software piano instruments work by playing back each recorded "samples" (another name for audio files), so the more the processing power that you PC has, the more you'll be comfortable playing the instruments. Realtime playback and processing takes a lot of processing power, but anything with the above recommended spec should be able to handle software piano instruments without audio dropouts/glitches. I'd personally won't consider doing anything with Android phones for that matter.

Regards to the type of software instruments, you need to be care of what you choose as there are instruments that require "Full-Version of Kontakt" which is a paid software that costs around $500. So you'd want to select something that says "Kontakt Player Compatible" (Kontakt Player is a freeware version of Kontakt, but some instruments won't work on it) or UVI or other format that doesn't require another software to run.

To take further advantage of the use of a PC, you could use DAW to record your piano plays, and render them as a wave file, or even produce a track with other sounds, but that's a whole another story.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phillsmit3
I'm just about to take delivery of my first piano. It has a USB connection to connect to computers and phones. I have a PC and android phone. I am wondering what software you would suggest to use this connection to its full potential? I am clueless what real use I will get out of this connection. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Out of the box the USB MIDI connection can be used to record yourself on the PC and play your recordings back through the piano. You don't need powerful PC for this and no additional hardware at all.

Something like https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/ can MIDI record everything you play automatically without you having to press a button each time. Though the free version (Lite) can't actually do that.

Using a free MIDI sequencer like http://ariamaestosa.sourceforge.net/ you could manually record yourself and then edit the notes you just recorded, remove errors you made and play along to your recordings.

The possibilities are endless...

Last edited by JoeT; 04/28/16 07:49 PM.

Yamaha P-515

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission